ajs723

Jordan Howard 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

3 hours ago, psygolf said:

More like "close, but not enough"  ...16 pts in ppr will not get a team thru the ff playoffs.

I don’t think you can say that.   16 points from your RB 2 is fine.   Assuming you drafted well at other positions.

That being said, I don’t expect 16 out of him consistently.    I haven’t looked far enough ahead but I doubt I will be starting him very often going forward.   But he’s been a nice sub for the bye weeks and injuries.

• Like 3

Once again, can you really blame the guy for throwing the ball? Howard ran the ball 14 times for 47 yards, that is 3.3 ypc. Take away his long TD run and he runs 13 times for 29 yards, that is 2.2 ypc. It is not exactly like Howard was lighting it up. We can dog on Trubisky all we want in this thread, but lets not pretend like Howard is having some great season. The guy isn't doing well this season. The Bears running game just isn't great as of now.

Edited by LionKid90
  • Like 1

I like having the goal line and "close-em-out" back on a good team heading into the cold weather portion of the schedule.  Has Howard been as good as he was under Foxy?  Not really.  But he's still quite useful, I think.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LionKid90 said:

Once again, can you really blame the guy for throwing the ball? Howard ran the ball 14 times for 47 yards, that is 3.3 ypc. Take away his long TD run and he runs 13 times for 29 yards, that is 2.2 ypc. It is not exactly like Howard was lighting it up. We can dog on Trubisky all we want in this thread, but lets not pretend like Howard is having some great season. The guy isn't churning away chunk yards. The Bears running game just isn't great as of now.

The Bills defense is actually quite good.  Their offense is putrid.  I like Howard to improve on that 3.3 ypc average in the upcoming games.

7 minutes ago, LionKid90 said:

Once again, can you really blame the guy for throwing the ball? Howard ran the ball 14 times for 47 yards, that is 3.3 ypc. Take away his long TD run and he runs 13 times for 29 yards, that is 2.2 ypc. It is not exactly like Howard was lighting it up. We can dog on Trubisky all we want in this thread, but lets not pretend like Howard is having some great season. The guy isn't doing well this season. The Bears running game just isn't great as of now.

Why on earth are you going to take away his "long" carry? Also, Cohen couldn't even average a yard per carry. 

• Like 1

He’s just not that good.   At least compared to his draft spot.   Sure he’s gonna end up as a RB2 but so are plenty of guys drafted a couple to several rounds later.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, K197040 said:

He’s just not that good.   At least compared to his draft spot.   Sure he’s gonna end up as a RB2 but so are plenty of guys drafted a couple to several rounds later.  

Well a lot of guys aren't going to finish anywhere near their ADP. That's just how things work. Cook, Shady, McKinnon, Freeman, and Mixon all went around Howard. 4 out of 5 of those guys have been massive busts so far. Howard is at least serviceable especially in standard. If one someone combined him with a guy like Kamara, Gordon, Gurley, and Barkley he is a good RB2 to have.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, LionKid90 said:

It's the "take away the players most skillful play" argument. That always goes over well. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Well a lot of guys aren't going to finish anywhere near their ADP. That's just how things work. Cook, Shady, McKinnon, Freeman, and Mixon all went around Howard. 4 out of 5 of those guys have been massive busts so far. Howard is at least serviceable especially in standard. If one someone combined him with a guy like Kamara, Gordon, Gurley, and Barkley he is a good RB2 to have.

I agree with that.  

But I’m in PPR and took him as my RB1.   Totally bought into the hype that he’d have opportunity and that he’d improved his receiving.   Just hasn’t worked out.   Of course I exacerbated the problem by grabbing Cooper as my WR2.   

8 minutes ago, K197040 said:

I agree with that.  

But I’m in PPR and took him as my RB1.   Totally bought into the hype that he’d have opportunity and that he’d improved his receiving.   Just hasn’t worked out.   Of course I exacerbated the problem by grabbing Cooper as my WR2.   

A lot of people bought into the hype. I took him on the 12/13 turn. I was able to pull off a multitude of trades though and so I don't need him to perform at his ADP to contend for a championship.

It's extremely frustrating. Early in the thread I was calling Howard a 2 down back in a mediocre offense and faded him. However, the development that Nagy was going to involve him on 3rd down completely fooled me and a lot of other people. My first read was more accurate apparently.

That being said as mentioned before Howard hasn't been useless. He hasn't performed at ADP but over the last few weeks he has been quite good. 3 games in a row with over 10 points which is excellent in standard.

2 hours ago, Gohawks said:

A lot of people bought into the hype. I took him on the 12/13 turn. I was able to pull off a multitude of trades though and so I don't need him to perform at his ADP to contend for a championship.

It's extremely frustrating. Early in the thread I was calling Howard a 2 down back in a mediocre offense and faded him. However, the development that Nagy was going to involve him on 3rd down completely fooled me and a lot of other people. My first read was more accurate apparently.

That being said as mentioned before Howard hasn't been useless. He hasn't performed at ADP but over the last few weeks he has been quite good. 3 games in a row with over 10 points which is excellent in standard.

I was completely planning to avoid him after having him last year and also ended up taking him at 14 after buying into the hype.

Thankfully, he's been decent the last few weeks but it stings knowing I could have stuck with Michael Thomas or McCaffrey and been much better off. 

That said, lots of players around Howard's draft spot have busted pretty badly so it's not the end of the world. 

The Bears are heading into cold weather and look to be leaning on Howard more. Things could be a lot worse. 

3 hours ago, oliminator123 said:

It's the "take away the players most skillful play" argument. That always goes over well. 

Ok leave in his best play, his ypc were still 3.3. It's not like Nagy went away from the hot hand. As much as I think Trubisky sucks, Howard has been equally as bad this season.

Here are all his runs:

10, -2, 5, 2, 0, 5 , 1 (TD), -1, 18 (TD), -1, -1, 6, 3, 2

7 of his 14 runs went for 2 yards or less (I didn't count his 1 yard TD run). That most likely tells me that the Oline is bad. Just going through the play by play, Chicago is throwing a lot on first down. My guess is they fear a minimal run and don't want to fall behind on the down and distance going into 2nd down.

Bears just didn't have the ball a lot because of the two defensive scores. Basically negates a possible offensive series and gives the ball right back to the other team.

Edited by LionKid90
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, LionKid90 said:

7 of his 14 runs went for 2 yards or less (I didn't count his 1 yard TD run). That most likely tells me that the Oline is bad.

They did lose their Pro-Bowl Offensive Guard - Kyle Long - for the long term going into this week, so I suspected they would have problems running it up the gut of a pretty good run Defense, i.e. the Bills are pretty good outside of the red zone.

On 11/5/2018 at 4:56 PM, rocket said:

They did lose their Pro-Bowl Offensive Guard - Kyle Long - for the long term going into this week, so I suspected they would have problems running it up the gut of a pretty good run Defense, i.e. the Bills are pretty good outside of the red zone.

Tough matchup. I think he goes off this week vs the Lions. 

Is now the time to sell high on Howard with the thought of most of the remaining games being the Cohen show? Or are we holding on to him and hoping he gets enough TD's to be a RB2?

2 minutes ago, JayGucci said:

Is now the time to sell high on Howard with the thought of most of the remaining games being the Cohen show? Or are we holding on to him and hoping he gets enough TD's to be a RB2?

See the post above yours...

3 minutes ago, JayGucci said:

I sold for OJ Howard yesterday so there’s people out there willing to give up a nice player for him. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Dexter75 said:

See the post above yours...

Im clearly aware of what your post said but I was just asking what others thought on the idea!

2 minutes ago, Boozted said:

I sold for OJ Howard yesterday so there’s people out there willing to give up a nice player for him. 

Not a good trade unless you have rb depth

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gohawks said:

Not a good trade unless you have rb depth

Care to explain why?

1 minute ago, Boozted said:

Care to explain why?

Because despite Howard under performing he is still a RB2 and you traded him for a TD dependent TE.

• Like 1

Just now, Gohawks said:

Because despite Howard under performing he is still a RB2 and you traded him for a TD dependent TE.

Isn’t Howard a TD dependent rb? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dexter75 said:

From FP today...

2Hw6JDA.png

On paper, many of those matchups are favorable especially when Mack comes back. For instance, the Lions can't stop anyone on the ground and I have to imagine Nagy has a heavy does of Jordan Howard planned for those games.