ajs723

Jordan Howard 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

Recommended Posts

Yeah he is almost droppable. He is basically TD dependent. He just isn’t a fit as of now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nagy is frustrating because his play calling in certain situations makes no sense. 

 

Up by 21 with 10 mins left and he is still throwing out of the spread. 4th and short inside the 5 yard line vs the Packers and they run a reverse or some slow developing pass play. 

 

It feels sometimes that Nagy likes to inflate Trubisky’s stats with an extra short td pass or a qb keeper td to show what a Guru he is. 

Edited by johnnyboy8102
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Howard is a good football player still but is being used all the wrong ways. The coaching has outsmarted itself in regards to JoHo. I dropped 5 weeks ago but was pretty sad about it. Waste of a draft pick to be sure but his usage is so irregular and obvious too. The Bears are going to need him last few weeks of the season but I think his confidence has to be eroding and I doubt all the sudden he’s going to turn the corner. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't drop Jordan Howard in a deep league but can't really rely on him, either.  Next year I will avoid Bears or just draft all their speedy little gadget/trick-play types.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

Nagy is frustrating because his play calling in certain situations makes no sense. 

 

Up by 21 with 10 mins left and he is still throwing out of the spread. 4th and short inside the 5 yard line vs the Packers and they run a reverse or some slow developing pass play. 

 

It feels sometimes that Nagy likes to inflate Trubisky’s stats with an extra short td pass or a qb keeper td to show what a Guru he is. 

Case in point:

PI ind endzone, ball placed on 1 yard line.

Bears come out with normal personnel, with Howard lined up as the deep back, but two TEs and two tackles lined up out wide.  They motion into a tight set, but pick up an extremely predictable illegal formation penalty that backs them up to the 6.

Why?

You have an above average offensive line, an above average power running back, and 4 downs to move the ball 3 feet.  You're going up against one of the worst run defenses in the league.  Just do your job.

It ended up ok - Trubisky scored on a QB draw (following Howard's exceptional lead block... hmm).  But the Lions are a lowly team going the wrong direction.  As johnnyboy referenced, getting cute has already cost the Bears in that week 1 loss to the packers, when Nagy dialed up a wheel route on 3rd and 1 from inside the 10 yard line with a 3 point lead.  Instead of correcting the mistake by running Howard on 4th down, they settled for a FG and a 6 point lead - basically forcing AaRod to go for a TD, instead of having the option for a FG to tie it in the back of his mind.

GB scored that TD and won.

The Bears are blowing out bad teams.  That's a great sign for them.  But Nagy is very mistaken if he thinks he can continue calling games this way and win in the playoffs.

The Rams, Saints, and Panthers have great offenses.  Sometimes the Vikings and Falcons do too.  The Packers look to be formidable on the ground as well as in the air now.  The only potential playoff opponents Chicago's current style will work against are the Redskins, Eagles, Cowboys, and Seahawks. 

Next week will be telling, but even a W doesn't answer all their questions. 

The Bears need to establish an offensive identity that goes beyond trick plays and running up the score on bad teams.  As others have pointed out, their excellent defense sets them up well for getting out to early leads and controlling the clock/tempo thereafter.  Against good teams, in the playoffs, their going to need to be able to wear teams out in the second half with Howard.

Nagy seems like he's having a good time, but he's not building a foundation for sustainable success.

 

Edit: and if Nagy wants to get creative, figure out how to use Howard and Cohen together.  Let Howard be the lead blocker for Cohen, use Cohen as a decoy for Howard.  One of the reasons I was high on Howard heading into the season is because of that potential.  Put Cohen in the slot and motion him across the line - run jet sweeps and the threat of those jet sweeps then holds the defenses and opens up lanes for Howard.  Use a two back shotgun formation, and have the threat of a pitch to Cohen do the same.

It's not rocket science- I mean, it IS rocket science!  Nagy, you'll look like a genius!

Edited by SadFaceHappy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Howard is just not a player built to play in a modern high powered offense that the Bears are trying to run, he is just a horrendous fit.

 

There will always be situations for between the tackles plodders in the league (Washington & Seattle this year for example), but with what most teams are running in the modern NFL he is going to find himself on the sidelines and useless in fantasy unless they end up at the 1 or 2 yard line. Sucks for people who invested a late 2nd or early 3rd round pick, but in PPR or .5 PPR it seems that drafting plodders with no passing game involvement is a recipe for disaster when you can draft guys like Thielen, Tyreek, Diggs type WR's in the same spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep seeing a little a lot of "he's just not a good fit for Nagy and this offense"..good..fine..I agree..so if Nagy is such a genius then why is he hanging onto a back that he has no consistent scheme for?  Or hell, even a desire to use to control the lead?  Please, for the love of god..just trade the dude.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, CletisVanDamme said:

Keep seeing a little a lot of "he's just not a good fit for Nagy and this offense"..good..fine..I agree..so if Nagy is such a genius then why is he hanging onto a back that he has no consistent scheme for?  Or hell, even a desire to use to control the lead?  Please, for the love of god..just trade the dude.

Trade deadline passed last week, buddy. Can't trade players anymore. Supposedly Eagles were interested but nothing ever happened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nagy is going to get Cohen killed, up big and instead of running howard to kill the clock this dude is getting cute and running into un-needed situations. I thought Cohen got killed yesterday when all they had to do was run the clock with Howard. It's like instead of using Howard if the Bears are winning Nagy thinks lets see how this play would work in a real game. None of it works and they settle for field goals and to possibly let the other team catch up, these stupid plays are bound to get Cohen hurt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The sequence where Cohen got injured and on the next play Nagy gives the ball to ******** Mizzell is some next level of bull****. I'm genuinely convinced it's personal. There is no way a coach without a stick up his a** does that.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone needs to relax. As soon as the weather gets colder JHO gets better. See Buffalo game

 

Weather wasn’t cold enough last week in Chicago. Needs to be a couple degrees colder for JHo’s liking. 

 

Like a 40 degree day

 

top 3 back ROS

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, BIGFATPANDA said:

Everyone needs to relax. As soon as the weather gets colder JHO gets better. See Buffalo game

 

Weather wasn’t cold enough last week in Chicago. Needs to be a couple degrees colder for JHo’s liking. 

 

Like a 40 degree day

 

top 3 back ROS

I'm only playing Howard if it's 0°Kelvin. 

 

I think he would get significant run then. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Gohawks said:

The sequence where Cohen got injured and on the next play Nagy gives the ball to ******** Mizzell is some next level of bull****. I'm genuinely convinced it's personal. There is no way a coach without a stick up his a** does that.

 

 

Completely agree, something else must be going on in order to have that rationale.   It literally makes 0 sense.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BIGFATPANDA said:

Everyone needs to relax. As soon as the weather gets colder JHO gets better. See Buffalo game

 

Weather wasn’t cold enough last week in Chicago. Needs to be a couple degrees colder for JHo’s liking. 

 

Like a 40 degree day

 

top 3 back ROS

 

I know this is sarcasm, its still funny though.

Waiting for December for it to get really COLD.

Ain't nobody wanna hear anything about no 40 degree day.

 

Edited by pdog109
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bears v. Vikings this week. Minnesota throttled Howard in one of their games last season.  Howard went 19-76 with no touchdowns in the other one.  But that was with Foxy at the controls.  Anyone playing Howard still?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Bears v. Vikings this week. Minnesota throttled Howard in one of their games last season.  Howard went 19-76 with no touchdowns in the other one.  But that was with Foxy at the controls.  Anyone playing Howard still?

 

Not unless it gets below 12 degrees.   And all my RB are injured or suspended or dead.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta love the JH truthers in here. Keep blaming the coaching staff when they're 6-3 and top of their division. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, n4sa said:

Gotta love the JH truthers in here. Keep blaming the coaching staff when they're 6-3 and top of their division. 

To be fair it is the coaching staffs fault that Howard is getting no run. That can't be argued. 

 

Whether or not it's hindering the team is up for debate. Bears record doesn't reflect their identity as a team, since the only good opponent they've played thus far has been the Pats and Packers, both of whom they lost to. 

 

Only time will tell and this weekend will be telling. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

To be fair it is the coaching staffs fault that Howard is getting no run. That can't be argued. 

 

Whether or not it's hindering the team is up for debate. Bears record doesn't reflect their identity as a team, since the only good opponent they've played thus far has been the Pats and Packers, both of whom they lost to. 

 

Only time will tell and this weekend will be telling. 

 

It can be argued considering the number of carries he's getting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, n4sa said:

 

It can be argued considering the number of carries he's getting. 

The carries he's getting around always in the late 3rd and 4th quarters, when they're up and teams anticipate some garbage run up the gut to kill clock, which is what's happening. 

 

Their have been instances where he has been good enough to bounce it outside, but his use in the early game is the concern. The amount of times I look at his stat line at half and he has 4-5 carries is mind boggling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

The carries he's getting around always in the late 3rd and 4th quarters, when they're up and teams anticipate some garbage run up the gut to kill clock, which is what's happening. 

 

Their have been instances where he has been good enough to bounce it outside, but his use in the early game is the concern. The amount of times I look at his stat line at half and he has 4-5 carries is mind boggling. 


Just seeing excuses here sorry. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.