ajs723

Jordan Howard 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

16 minutes ago, Meets1 said:

As a Bears fan, my fear is when they play better teams their lack of a run game is going to cost them. Say what you will about how pass happy the league is now, but at some point you have to be able to run the football effectively in order to control clock, keep the other offense (be it a Rams or a Saints) off the field, kill off the game with a lead, etc. The lack of any chunk plays by Howard is mind boggling to me- it's always seems like it's 1 yard run into the line. Don't know if it's scheme or poor run blocking but it is maddening to watch.

I can literally call when Howard is going to get the ball. It is the most obvious situations. 1st down and end of game runs. Always up the gut and never gets carries on consecutive plays. It’s as if Nagy wants Howard to only gain 1-2 yards so he can justify not giving him the back. 

Lol this guy is such a headcase and a bust.

Better off just dropping and never dealing with this headache.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

I can literally call when Howard is going to get the ball. It is the most obvious situations. 1st down and end of game runs. Always up the gut and never gets carries on consecutive plays. It’s as if Nagy wants Howard to only gain 1-2 yards so he can justify not giving him the back. 

Yep. When he comes in there are only a couple possibilities and one in not a pass to the RB. The other is not a run around the end. Its run up the gut or block someone.

Any Bears fans care to chime in about the health and performance of the O-line?  If Howard could have a bit more room to run, Nagy might not give up on him so quickly during all these Bears wins.

39 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Any Bears fans care to chime in about the health and performance of the O-line?  If Howard could have a bit more room to run, Nagy might not give up on him so quickly during all these Bears wins.

how can even the best offensive line match up against the mighty lions defensive front? where is the lions d-line ranked, first or second? (31st? 32nd?)

the play calling just doesn't fit into howard's abilities. that, and he doesn't seem to be demonstrating abilities this year. the blocking is adequate, not great but not terrible. cohen is more dynamic, quicker, and is making plays. when the game script has howard written all over it, he's not even utilized then. like @FF4lifesays above, it's probably best to have someone else deal with this weekly lineup headache. the bears are legit playoff contenders and none of this has to do with howard. we all saw that he has talent (last season), but it's not like he has saquon talent (i.e. regardless of offensive line play, saquon makes magic). howard's 4-5 targets in the first couple of games seems like a mirage. i'm not going to say he's 100% dropable... but i'd certainly rather pick up a better benchstash-flex off waivers (humphries, reynolds, gore, mcguire, riddick, inman).

howard just isn't moving forward efficiently

tumblr_oojaguHw7O1qdtqago1_400.gif

Well Detroit has played the run much better since they picked up Big Snacks.  But Chicago never shows a commitment to the run like some of the better running teams (Seattle, Dallas) do.  So I was wondering if there are line problems going on.

Also Nagy is winning in spite of his ridiculous decision making, so there may not be much impetus to change his ways.

Edited by SharkSwimmer

across all my leagues...and I have Howard in two...he has turned out to be my worst draft pick of 2018.  At least Devonta Freeman has the courtesy to get put on IR.

12 weeks into the season and we are STILL talking about play-calling and usage??

Abandon ship. This plod is done. He offers relatively little upside and is only averaging a little over 4 points per game over his last three contests. The only thing that saved him in the prior three contests were TD's. With an average of less than one reception per game over his last seven games, Howard is truly a TD or bust player with limited upside.

Factor in fantasy playoff dates with the Rams and GB in week 14 and 15 (which spells Cohen all of the day), and Howard is the classic trojan horse player that you drop and hope his nukes another owner's lineup.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Went from stud to complete scrub real quick. Has there ever been a bigger bust minus injury??

6 minutes ago, cjw99 said:

Went from stud to complete scrub real quick. Has there ever been a bigger bust minus injury??

Eddy Lacy comes to mind.

3 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Well Detroit has played the run much better since they picked up Big Snacks.  But Chicago never shows a commitment to the run like some of the better running teams (Seattle, Dallas) do.  So I was wondering if there are line problems going on.

Also Nagy is winning in spite of his ridiculous decision making, so there may not be much impetus to change his ways.

Nagy has absolutely zero idea how to create run plays. None. The line is average at worst so it's not like they have a terrible line. Cohen, who is a big play COP back is only pulling 4.3 YPC himself.

They don't use disguises, don't create mismatch problems, don't use motions to expose the defense, don't use double blocks, don't use unbalanced line schemes, and etc. They lineup in shotgun, hand the ball off, and that's it. It's so mind boggingly horrific play calling that I am almost convinced it's a conspiracy to make the run game look bad so they can throw more. There is no way on earth an NFL coach could call such stupid run plays every time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, FF4life said:

Why are we still spending time and energy on this guy?

Drop and move on.

Geez.

There are still folks who will start him for ROS lol

5 minutes ago, Guwop said:

There are still folks who will start him for ROS lol

Unfortunately, there may not be any options.   Anyone left on waivers has the same floor as Burton.    

Edit: Lol.  Whoops.  

Unfortunately, I own this turd tandem and frequently forget which thread I’m in.  

Edited by K197040
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, cjw99 said:

Players that come to mind as of recent: Trent Richardson, Zac Stacy, Ray Rice, Peyton Hillis

Even though Howard stinks he is sadly still doing better than any of those guys in the season they fell off a cliff.

Edited by metalmat

3 hours ago, cjw99 said:

Jordan Howard is still a stud.  He's just being criminally misused by Mr. Nagy.

1 minute ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Jordan Howard is still a stud.  He's just being criminally misused by Mr. Nagy.

x2

He was the perfect round 2 draft and stash.

All that above being said, this debacle will make me think much harder about my early round picks next season and take a deeper look at players with new coaches.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, K197040 said:

All that above being said, this debacle will make me think much harder about my early round picks next season and take a deeper look at players with new coaches.

This. The problem is Nagy was looking like a positive with all his “We want to use Howard on 3 downs” bull****.

13 minutes ago, K197040 said:

x2

He was the perfect round 2 draft and stash.

You don't stash your 2nd round pick.  Well, not if you want to win at majik fake foosball.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

This. The problem is Nagy was looking like a positive with all his “We want to use Howard on 3 downs” bull****.

Yep.  And all the hype about catching 300 passes per day during off season.   Great D, decent O line.  It set up nicely.   But it’s clear that Nagy is not Reid.    And it’s hard to fault him at this point.  If they had a better QB, they would be scary.

2 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

You don't stash your 2nd round pick.  Well, not if you want to win at majik fake foosball.

I took him in the 2nd.   He’s been on my bench for several weeks now.  Once the weather turns cold, I’ll pop him back in there to lead me to a 7-7 finish.  They call him “SnowBeast” for a reason.

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, K197040 said:

Yep.  And all the hype about catching 300 passes per day during off season.   Great D, decent O line.  It set up nicely.   But it’s clear that Nagy is not Reid.    And it’s hard to fault him at this point.  If they had a better QB, they would be scary.

Right. I liked Howard for the same reason I liked Gurley last year. Good player in a clearly improving situation. Not in a million years did I think Nagy would completely ignore the run game on a team built to run. 

The problem is they don't have a better QB. Even teams with really good QBs like SEA, NO, and KC run the damn ball and they do so creatively. CHI runs the ball just so they can say they ran the ball. Nagy's knowledge of how to run is equivalent to Mike McCoy. 

Any who, it's Adams from here on out. I rather not watch another snap from the Bears for the rest of the season. I usually don't get frustrated watching my players play in fantasy even if they suck but watching an entire Bears game made me want to wash my eyes with bleach. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1