ajs723

Jordan Howard 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

7 hours ago, hoppychokes said:

Do you think a Fox led team would have 8 wins?

The defense is benefitting from a more adept offense, I don't know how you could argue differently.

Riding a defense no longer works in the modern NFL, look at the Ravens. You need to have an offense that can also throw up statistics to compete.

Not even a Nagy fan, but it is crazy he is getting s--- for being on pace to win the division after a very awful rut.

This has been the narrative all yea. "Nagy made me burn my 2nd/3rd round Jordan Howard pick so he sucks!!"

As a Howard owner I saw the writing on the way and picked up mitch and started Cohen and it's worked. I wish he'd get Howard more involved but it's not happening in this new nfl

• Like 1

8 hours ago, munde53 said:

Nagy's offences try to score a lot of points which puts pressure on the opposing teams offense to score as well. This makes the opponents offense have to take greater risks and the Bears defenders are able to play a lot more reckless to make big plays because they know their offense can keep them in games. See the Saints defense on Thanksgiving for a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Obviously the Bears offense isn't even close to the Saints but they try to put pressure on the opposing team in a similar way.

Just because Nagy doesn't coach the defense does not mean his offense is not apart of their success. 

Howard hasn't exactly been playing great this year either. 

This is true to an extent.  And I guess if it works to build a lead, let wildly inaccurate Mitchell Trubiesky run around and air it out.  What I really can't stand is when Nagy keeps doing that with a 10 or 14 point lead late in the third quarter.  

He used Howard to salt away the Jets game and it worked.  But that has been the only time.  Howard's performance has been poor, it is true, but it is tough to judge him with only 10 carries a game and hand-offs from the shotgun formation.  Howard is best used in a power formation and given 15-25 carries so he can wear down the defense.

20 hours ago, FF4life said:

Why are we still spending time and energy on this guy?

Drop and move on.

Geez.

it's therapy for those of us who didn't see the writing on the wall, had tunnel vision, ignored the Nagy effect, etc.  That's all...we all know he's drop-able unless you're in a 16+ team league.  Let us vent...

Guy is a bust, pure and simple. Trying to deny it or blame the head coach is simply hurting your team. He is in no way startable ROS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

Guy is a bust, pure and simple. Trying to deny it or blame the head coach is simply hurting your team. He is in no way startable ROS.

Probably true.  I am going to hold him anyway.  Only thing worse than what he's not done so far would to see Howard actually have a good game, maybe in really cold weather in a defensive type if slugfest, for one of my league rivals.

In the same boat as Drake. Perfectly capable running back but doesn’t get the love from the coach. Tough situation because he’s just eating a bench spot with no real prospect to be a starter unless Cohen were to get injured.

1 hour ago, WaiverLooter said:

In the same boat as Drake. Perfectly capable running back but doesn’t get the love from the coach. Tough situation because he’s just eating a bench spot with no real prospect to be a starter unless Cohen were to get injured.

As a Howard owner only,  I’m envious you have Drake.

1 minute ago, K197040 said:

As a Howard owner only,  I’m envious you have Drake.

I don’t have Drake. Was merely making an observation on the similarities in situation between the two :lol:

Edited by WaiverLooter

8 minutes ago, WaiverLooter said:

I don’t have Drake. Was merely making an observation on the similarities in situation between the two :lol:

Lmao.  

Every time I hear the podcasts talk about Drake, I feel smart because I avoided that land mine.   Then I realize I took Howard in the 2nd.   Then I end up at...”well, at least I didn’t take Howard AND Drake”.

Small victories.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Bo Hackson said:

Will Lutz, the New Orleans kicker has more fantasy points than Howard this season in half PPR...

Let’s revisit this comparison when Jack Frost comes calling and winter is upon.   Hear the SnowBeast knocking on your door.  Hear him knocking.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, K197040 said:

Let’s revisit this comparison when Jack Frost comes calling and winter is upon.   Hear the SnowBeast knocking on your door.  Hear him knocking.

Honestly if it's below freezing and pouring snow I might roll him out as a flex. Should finish for a solid 15/50/1.

4 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Honestly if it's below freezing and pouring snow I might roll him out as a flex. Should finish for a solid 15/50/1.

Nagy will find a way to throw 40 times and run a bunch of WR reverses. 

4 minutes ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

Nagy will find a way to throw 40 times and run a bunch of WR reverses. 

Even in a blizzard.  Nagy appears to have no clue about situational football.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, munde53 said:

Nagy's offences try to score a lot of points which puts pressure on the opposing teams offense to score as well. This makes the opponents offense have to take greater risks and the Bears defenders are able to play a lot more reckless to make big plays because they know their offense can keep them in games. See the Saints defense on Thanksgiving for a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Obviously the Bears offense isn't even close to the Saints but they try to put pressure on the opposing team in a similar way.

Just because Nagy doesn't coach the defense does not mean his offense is not apart of their success. 

Howard hasn't exactly been playing great this year either. 

What? Lol

"offense tries to score a lot of points" 

thats every offense bruh. Nagy just outcoaches himself and gets bailed out by an amazing defense 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

What? Lol

"offense tries to score a lot of points" 

thats every offense bruh. Nagy just outcoaches himself and gets bailed out by an amazing defense 

Sure if you just want to simplify things for a joke but you're missing the point. Nagy wants an explosive offense that can score on any given play and run up the score like the Chiefs, Rams, Saints, etc. He doesn't have a good enough QB (at least at the moment) to fully replicate those offenses but that's what he wants to do. There has been a huge shift in the NFL over the past few years and this season it has taken over. Teams would rather pass on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down opposed to hand the ball off 20+ times a game. Cohen fits that style of offense much, much, much better than Howard.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gohawks said:

Weather has to be like The Day After Tomorrow and Snowpiercer though.

1 minute ago, munde53 said:

Sure if you just want to simplify things for a joke but you're missing the point. Nagy wants an explosive offense that can score on any given play and run up the score like the Chiefs, Rams, Saints, etc. He doesn't have a good enough QB (at least at the moment) to fully replicate those offenses but that's what he wants to do. There has been a huge shift in the NFL over the past few years and this season it has taken over. Teams would rather pass on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down opposed to hand the ball off 20+ times a game. Cohen fits that style of offense much, much, much better than Howard.

I get the shift to pass happy but Nagy doesn't really optimize this offense imo. Lots of questionable calls.

really doesn't help Howard and it's probably best to drop him in 12- leagues 

He might be able to put up RB2/flex numbers in a blowout where they don’t need Trubisky to throw. Unfortunately only the Giants and Niners fit that description for Chicago’s remaining games and neither offenses are on the same level as the Bills or Jets, where he posted decent numbers fairly recently.

His floor is basically 2 pts vs Rams or Packers.

Edited by WaiverLooter

1 hour ago, n4sa said:

Lol at the people blaming Nagy. 8-3 folks. 

Nagy will never win a playoff game.

You heard it here first.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Nagy has no clue about football.

FTFY.

Nagy couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag.

Nagy couldn't coach a snowman in a blizzard.

Nagy is not a man he is an alien.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, n4sa said:

Lol at the people blaming Nagy. 8-3 folks. 

I think the situational thing is valid. His overall coach style and scheme has definitely maximized the talent out of the offense but in a close game, I’d still be very nervous. He looked outcoached and outclassed in late game situations vs Miami and Green Bay and neither of those head coaches are considered geniuses by any measure of the imagination.

• Thanks 1