Sign in to follow this  
ajs723

Jordan Howard 2018 Season Outlook

5 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

Landry if he doesn’t agree to the deal gets 16+ million.  Landry says he wants 14-15 million, that’s crazy for the Bears to agree to for a slot receiver.  Landry while an excellent receiver comes with issues, is he the guy you want as the leader of the young locker room?

Howard (as far as I can tell) has no issues.  If they take a guy in the 3rd round he could be another Samaje Perine.

Why would Landry want to go to the Bears, when if cut, he could choose his next team?

Bears have a lot of needs, and a lot of cash, but is Landry the best way to spend it?  I doubt it...

Are the Dolphins so desperate for a RB to give up draft picks?  They already have a guy that closed strong.  Why not draft a RB late? If they get Howard they’ll need to pay him a lot sooner than a rookie.  The Dolphins cap space is grim...

It sounds like the Dolphins GM is getting cute, and it’s going to backfire.  For all the money they’ve spent they’re not close to competing, they need to build through the draft.

landry works hard and produces. many players have "issues"

howard maybe a good locker room guy, but on the field he cant catch and needs to be replaced on passing downs with cohen.

landry would be fine with going to the bears. he would get a ton of usage, and his favorite thing $$$$$

landry would be the perfect fit for a young qb to build his completion % and confidence on the field

they are also looking at derius guice, so maybe they go that way, but they still need to trade landry so this might work out better because howard is still a young rb himself.

the dolphin gm is doing all right by this trade. he is getting howard and the #8 pick. and ridding himself of the landry contract? he can still go thru the draft.

2 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

You are looking too much into this I doubt it gets anywhere near done. 

i've looked at 8 different news sites that have commented on this trade possibility. plus miami is in dire straits to trade landry. you dont think miami is pushing to get a deal like this done. and soon.????

1 hour ago, not an nfl scout said:

landry is being offered in a trade. and is twice the wr cobb is.

If healthy, Cobb has better #s overall per target...which is all that matters getting the offense from A to B.

1 minute ago, psygolf said:

If healthy, Cobb has better #s overall per target...which is all that matters getting the offense from A to B.

maybe they trade for landry and still sign cobb. its not like they couldnt use 2 wrs. although they could be rather expensive to carry both. but then again who knows?

Posted (edited)

both are possession type wrs, but can take it over the top when needed. they have a big young te. and merideth baxter berney or something like that.

Edited by not an nfl scout

i dont know if you guys realize this or not, but thru this exchange of banter i just went from a rookie to a veteran ...hahahahahahahaha

33 minutes ago, not an nfl scout said:

both are possession type wrs, but can take it over the top when needed. they have a big young te. and merideth baxter berney or something like that.

My understanding is Landry has great hands, but does very little after the catch.  That’s not a guy you pay top $ for...

My bet is this rumor stays a rumor.

1 hour ago, not an nfl scout said:

maybe they trade for landry and still sign cobb. its not like they couldnt use 2 wrs. although they could be rather expensive to carry both. but then again who knows?

We know they won't field many 2-slot wr formations 

59 minutes ago, not an nfl scout said:

i dont know if you guys realize this or not, but thru this exchange of banter i just went from a rookie to a veteran ...hahahahahahahaha

Everyone aged in this discussion

• Haha 2

Source: Jarvis Landry-Jordan Howard trade a no-go

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 3, 2018, 3:32 PM EST
gettyimages-900115960-e1519175503638.jpg
Getty Images

There’s been talk of a trade between the Dolphins and Bears, sending Jarvis Landry to Chicago and Jordan Howard to Miami. But we hear it’s nothing more than talk.

A league source tells PFT there’s “no way” it’s happening.

Landry is currently franchised by the Dolphins, and they are looking into trading him. The Bears have been floated as a possible destination, but it won’t be for Howard.

The 23-year-old Howard has 2,435 yards and 15 touchdowns in his two seasons with the Bears, and he’s under contract for two more years at very affordable salaries. The 25-year-old Landry has an unprecedented 400 catches in his first four NFL seasons but would cost $16 million this season on the franchise tag.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, seanismorris said:

My understanding is Landry has great hands, but does very little after the catch.  That’s not a guy you pay top $ for...

Its quite the opposite, he does have great hands but almost everything he does is yards after the catch. Most of landrys targets are within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. Theres a reason he returns punts too, he is good at weaving his way through traffic, especially considering he isnt the fastest.

For perspective

2017 - 987 yds / 511 YAC

2016 - 1136 yds / 634 YAC

2015 - 1156 yds / 583 YAC

2014 -  765 yds / 463 YAC

Over 50% every year

Landry does alot of things well, but he just doesnt have the height or speed desired to play the outside. Hes not going to beat you going up for the ball or outrun you down the field. Hes well suited for the slot.

I think he could do well with the bears, if he does end up there. They sound interested. But anywhere near 15 million seems pretty high to me.

Edit: just realized this was a howard thread. Got lost in the chatter

Edited by vikingapocalypse
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

You know Landry plays outside too right? 

Is it his best position?

4 minutes ago, psygolf said:

Is it his best position?

Debatable, probably not though. It is not the only thing he does however. 

If you were an NFL team and I'm the agent and you said, "I won't pay a slot receiver that kind of money" then I'd simply tell you I play roughly 46.4% of my plays outside and 47.4% in the slot because of my versatility to do both".

2 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Debatable, probably not though. It is not the only thing he does however. 

If you were an NFL team and I'm the agent and you said, "I won't pay a slot receiver that kind of money" then I'd simply tell you I play roughly 46.4% of my plays outside and 47.4% in the slot because of my versatility to do both".

He's considered a top 1-2 slot receiver, and not in the discussion for best wideout...I wouldn't call it debateable.

It's not that simple of an evaluation to just take his 50/50 split, imo.  

2 hours ago, psygolf said:

He's considered a top 1-2 slot receiver, and not in the discussion for best wideout...I wouldn't call it debateable.

It's not that simple of an evaluation to just take his 50/50 split, imo.  

I guess we'll find out when he receives his contract. 

I hate speculation, but...

If Adam Gase wants his stud 3 down and goal line back from his last job...and all it takes is an over paid slot receiver to get him......

Meh..bored.

I'm surprised there is so little talk about Howard so far.  The coaching staff has specified that they are working with him on catching the ball which is the major flaw in his game.  He isn't a flashy player, but he has a solid lock on 250 carries and this offense should be much better this year, resulting in better game scripts and more touchdown opportunities.  I love Howard in the 3rd - 4th rounds this year, what do you guys think? 

I think his current ADP is just right, he's fine at RB2 in that mix.     The new staff combined with some of the offseason additions give me hope that the offense can improve greatly.   I think some were gunshy when those rumors floated about Nagy not committing to Howard, but now that they didnt draft or acquire any new ones, i think its safe to say he'll be the lead back.     There's certainly potential value here, i guess the only real question is:  Can this offense improve enough to sustain both backs for fantasy production?  I feel fairly confident that both Cohen and Howard have roles and some volume.  Will there be enough to go around?  That'll come down to efficiency.  Can they run enough plays?  Is their D good enough to get off the field and give the O more possessions?  Can they produce enough TD's? etc

On 3/4/2018 at 1:30 AM, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

You know Landry plays outside too right? 

Yeah, but not well. I can try to find the numbers if you want but his success rate outside is awful 

12 minutes ago, BrianM said:

I think his current ADP is just right, he's fine at RB2 in that mix.     The new staff combined with some of the offseason additions give me hope that the offense can improve greatly.   I think some were gunshy when those rumors floated about Nagy not committing to Howard, but now that they didnt draft or acquire any new ones, i think its safe to say he'll be the lead back.     There's certainly potential value here, i guess the only real question is:  Can this offense improve enough to sustain both backs for fantasy production?  I feel fairly confident that both Cohen and Howard have roles and some volume.  Will there be enough to go around?  That'll come down to efficiency.  Can they run enough plays?  Is their D good enough to get off the field and give the O more possessions?  Can they produce enough TD's? etc

I mean is the D that much of a question?

the offense is a variable but it is one with quite a bit of upside. 

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/the-main-guy-what-will-jordan-howard-become-in-the-bears-new-offense/

“He throws the ball to me himself,” running back Jordan Howard said. “He helps me work on my [catching].”

The truth is Nagy always had a place in mind for Howard — “He already said I’m going to be the main guy,” Howard said — and the Bears never had any real interest in trading him.

Coming off consecutive 1,000-yard rushing seasons for two bad teams, Howard arguably is the only sure thing about a Bears offense that’s undergoing an extreme makeover for quarterback Mitch Trubisky. It wouldn’t be surprising if the Bears leaned on Howard in the early going as Trubisky settles in.

But is there room in Nagy’s offense for a traditional bell-cow running back?

“He’s proven that he’s done that, so that’s for sure,” Nagy said. “In this offense, it’s more game specific, as to whether or not you need that.”

So, yes and no. It all depends.

Hunt made 53 catches for 455 yards and three touchdowns as a rookie last season for Nagy. In two seasons, Howard has 52 receptions for 423 yards and one score.

“We’re pretty different, but coach knows how to work with everybody,” Howard said.

That said, the Bears still want Howard to improve as a receiver. Consider it a goal for Nagy. Running backs coach Charles London said Howard needs to improve his hand placement, concentration and hand-eye coordination.

Howard’s talents as a runner, though, shouldn’t be disregarded. He isn’t the fastest back, but he’s patient and powerful. He also excelled out of shotgun formations and in zone schemes that Nagy will feature in his offense.

The arrivals of receivers Allen Robinson, Taylor Gabriel and Anthony Miller and tight end Trey Burton should benefit Howard as much as Trubisky.

According to the NFL’s “Next Generation” statistics, Howard faced eight players in the box on 43.12 percent of his 276 rushing attempts last season.

Jonathan Stewart (Panthers) and Leonard Fournette (Jaguars) were the only primary starters who faced a higher percentage.

“Definitely a sign of respect,” Howard said.

Giddyup.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, BrianM said:

Your “only real question” isn’t a question at all. Cohen will not threaten Howard’s bell cow role at all. 

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

But is there room in Nagy’s offense for a traditional bell-cow running back?

“He’s proven that he’s done that, so that’s for sure,” Nagy said. “In this offense, it’s more game specific, as to whether or not you need that.”

I don't interpret Nagy's statement as all that great for Howard's usage.  Is he saying there will be games where they won't plan to feature Howard?  

Hyde was utilized consistently last season even though he wasn't a great fit for Shanahan's offense, so anything is possible.  Coaching changes = lots of risk though, especially when a player isn't someone that the new coach would hand-pick.

Edited by Rolling Thunder

26 minutes ago, Panthers8912 said:

Your “only real question” isn’t a question at all. Cohen will not threaten Howard’s bell cow role at all. 

So you think Cohen won't have a large role, or you think his role is significant but is just independent of Howard's?