colepenhagen

Robinson Cano 2018 Outlook

is he worth a top 60-65 pick?

should hit 285 ish, 25 bombs 95 rbis 80 runs

not alot of power 2nd half

slug% dropped 2nd half and he was trash vs lhp  200avg 557ops on the year which is completely different from his career numbers 282avg 763ops

8 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

is he worth a top 60-65 pick?

should hit 285 ish, 25 bombs 95 rbis 80 runs

not alot of power 2nd half

slug% dropped 2nd half and he was trash vs lhp  200avg 557ops on the year which is completely different from his career numbers 282avg 763ops

Having owned him last year, his drop in power coincided with a quad injury he suffered. I'm staying away from him this year. The last couple of years he's been dinged up at times and father time isn't on his side right now.

• Like 1

I think Cano will have another solid season but top 65 seems high. 2B is pretty deep this season & I can think of six or maybe seven guys I'd rather have.

1 hour ago, Picard56 said:

Having owned him last year, his drop in power coincided with a quad injury he suffered. I'm staying away from him this year. The last couple of years he's been dinged up at times and father time isn't on his side right now.

was gonna say this

i think he was injured.  cano often plays even when hurt, look at his games played throughout his career.  did the same when on the yankees.

hes 35 years old, but i dont think 30/100 is out of the question at all this year

Edited by jfazz23

I havent seen much news but he's definitely going at a discount in the drafts I've seen...Im buying

Got him in middle of round 6 in a 14 teamer... think the value is good there and that should be close to the floor

I really like the price of Cano this year and think he has a good shot to out perform his ADP. With all the shiny new toys at 2B right now I feel like people are forgetting about him. 

Boring, safe, awesome. A few years ago he was a perennial early 2nd round slam dunk. Now he is basically 95% of the production but 5 rounds cheaper. Get him everywhere you can unless you are dead set on collecting the bulk of your steals from other 2B options.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BleedRedsRed said:

Boring, safe, awesome. A few years ago he was a perennial early 2nd round slam dunk. Now he is basically 95% of the production but 5 rounds cheaper. Get him everywhere you can unless you are dead set on collecting the bulk of your steals from other 2B options.

I don't know if he is all that safe anymore. 2015 he had a groin issue that plagued him for half a season. 2016 he had his career year and was hitting homers left and right. 2017 he started strong and then suffered a quad injury and played through it and his power declined. This spring training he already suffered a hamstring injury... but seems ok now. It just seems like he's getting nicked up more and more and I would rather go with the younger 2b baseman out there at this point.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

I don't know if he is all that safe anymore. 2015 he had a groin issue that plagued him for half a season. 2016 he had his career year and was hitting homers left and right. 2017 he started strong and then suffered a quad injury and played through it and his power declined. This spring training he already suffered a hamstring injury... but seems ok now. It just seems like he's getting nicked up more and more and I would rather go with the younger 2b baseman out there at this point.

Agreed.  He isn’t safe anymore.  He’s past his prime physically and any nick that he gets will hinder him.  He’s got a great hit tool so if he is healthy he could pull his way to 30+ HR.  But he’s got a lot of downside now with age and inability to do much when hampered.  Id avoid this year, but then again I don’t think I’ve had a Mariner on my fantasy team since 2002.

Edited by Cmilne23

Watching game now.  Will update when they release X-Ray results. 

• Thanks 2

X-rays have revealed a fractured fifth metacarpal in Robinson Cano's right hand.

1 minute ago, BigPapi44 said:

X-rays have revealed a fractured fifth metacarpal in Robinson Cano's right hand.

Quick online search, it looks like he'll be out at least 6-8 weeks.

Just now, BigPapi44 said:

Quick online search, it looks like he'll be out at least 6-8 weeks.

Yep, most likely.  This sucks so bad.

3 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Wow. What options do they have? Does Dee get moved back to the infield? 

Most likely. Heredia could see more playing time. Motter could get called up.

• Like 1

Guys, for some perspective.  Josh Harrison broke his 5th metacarpal on April 15th and was given a 6 week projection for a return.  He's now taking batting practice, so about 4 weeks post-fracture, but still thought he was not in the clear until performing sliding/tagging drills.  Since he also plays primarily 2B, I think this gives us some feel with Cano.  We are likely looking at a best case of 5-6 weeks here.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Wow. What options do they have? Does Dee get moved back to the infield? 

They’re talking about it on tv now.  I think they’ll either call up Gordon Beckham to play 2B, or move Dee to 2B and have Heredia in CF.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

They’re talking about it on tv now.  I think they’ll either call up Gordon Beckham to play 2B, or move Dee to 2B and have Heredia in CF.  

Gordon beckham???? I just vomited in my mouth.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

Guys, for some perspective.  Josh Harrison broke his 5th metacarpal on April 15th and was given a 6 week projection for a return.  He's now taking batting practice, so about 4 weeks post-fracture, but still thought he was not in the clear until performing sliding/tagging drills.  Since he also plays primarily 2B, I think this gives us some feel with Cano.  We are likely looking at a best case of 5-6 weeks here.

On the bright side it's his throwing hand too, which should be easier to return from since he doesn't need to weather the impact of catching balls on his glove hand for potential reinjury during recovery. 

• Thanks 1