colepenhagen

Robinson Cano 2018 Outlook

He has the SUSP tag on Yahoo now. If he is in our DL slots with that tag..can we still make regular adds or will it say error because have player in DL spot that is not eligible for DL?

I'm asking because if I can keep him in DL I will likely hold since he should be back mid August. 

2 minutes ago, richg24 said:

He has the SUSP tag on Yahoo now. If he is in our DL slots with that tag..can we still make regular adds or will it say error because have player in DL spot that is not eligible for DL?

I'm asking because if I can keep him in DL I will likely hold since he should be back mid August. 

You can for this week, it looks like.  I tried taking him out of the DL slot (for Monday) and then back on and it says he is not eligible.  Hopefully Yahoo can clarify.  Makes no sense he is on the DL.

44 minutes ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

they could probably change it to Suspended and then he would have to come off your DL as if he's an active player

They changed It already but they’re letting me make moves w out taking him out of DL

I'd make your moves now, in case they go into this and correct the error.  

20 minutes ago, Folarin said:

They changed It already but they’re letting me make moves w out taking him out of DL

Next week you won't be able to do it.  I'm telling you, go to "Monday" and take him off the DL then try and move him back on the DL and it won't let you.  It's ridiculous. Cano IS on the DL.  He DID have surgery.  Suspension fine, but who cares, he has a legitimate DL injury for the next couple months regardless.

9 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

You can for this week, it looks like.  I tried taking him out of the DL slot (for Monday) and then back on and it says he is not eligible.  Hopefully Yahoo can clarify.  Makes no sense he is on the DL.

8 hours ago, 89Topps said:

He's not on the DL.  The team placed him on the restricted list yesterday.

http://m.mlb.com/sea/roster/transactions/

Yahoo switched him from DL which he already was on remember to SUSPENDED today. 

If you already had him in a DL slot and do NOT make any moves he can safely sit there. 

Yahoo's software only detects a now non DL or NA player sitting in one of those slots illegally when you try and make a move only.  Try and make one move and you will get an error message and will have to either move him to the active roster or drop him to make that move.  Or you can cancel the move as well and not move him which will be very hard NOT to make a move over half a baseball season. 

Of course at 33 years old and reaching the end of his career it is hard to justify NOT dropping him even in deep dynasties.  Especially since he will be PED-less once he comes back.  And the rest of this year he would probably be pretty rusty anyway. 

And while a 1B or DH or someone with the last name of Colon can play for much longer; 33 is getting pretty old for a middle infielder.

• Like 2

if your on ESPN drop him, wont let you make moves unfortunately.......sigh 

Mariners GM came out and said Cano will be a part time player when he comes back and will probably get phased out towards the end of the season. Tough blow for his owners and looking like a lost season.

Cut in the off-season?  Wonder how this ends and what to do in a keeper league.

He still has 5 years left on his contract at 24 million dollars per season. Maybe for this year they’ll play him part time as punishment when he comes back, but he’s going to be their everyday second baseman again next year.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lbjames6 said:

Mariners GM came out and said Cano will be a part time player when he comes back and will probably get phased out towards the end of the season. Tough blow for his owners and looking like a lost season.

Yeah, but I have to laugh at the M's making a statement like this. With the way injuries are this year they may just need Cano to make the playoffs. 

This smells like sheet to me. Bitterness, idiocy - it's the Mariners. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

Cut in the off-season?  Wonder how this ends and what to do in a keeper league.

Cut?  Huh?  Where do you get that from?  Mariners didn't say that.

No he won't be cut but he canNOT play in the playoffs this season per MLB rules so they need to keep Dee Gordon at 2B as much as possible and keep their outfielders with the reps they need to stay sharp too. 

Next year Cano would be a regular again.  But, unless there is an injury or someone is having a massive slump, why would they bend over backwards to get him up to speed at the cost of a team contending getting their playoff players out of sync just to accommodate him.

That is pretty much what the manager said.  They can't use him in the playoffs so they will only use him part time when he comes back rather than risk messing up Gordon having to switch positions again in the stretch run.  Rotoworld blurb:

Mariners general manager Jerry Dipoto indicated Monday that Robinson Cano will not be the team's everyday second baseman upon his return from a PED suspension in mid-August.

Cano will be eligible to return from his 80-game suspension on August 14, but he will not be eligible for postseason play. That's very relevant here with the Mariners playing so well and Dee Gordon doing a fine job at second base. Dipoto said that there could be "a time-share, so to speak, where we keep everybody sharp. But we do know Dee is going to have to play second base as we come down the stretch. Because if we want to be in the postseason -- which we do -- then we know who our second baseman is going to be. And it's going to be Dee Gordon." Cano would still figure to play plenty, as the Mariners will be trying to win games, after all, and Cano is one of their best players. However, if the M's are still in contention late in the year we are likely to see Cano on the bench a lot more often than we're used to.

Jun 11 - 7:43 PM

Also note that the part AFTER the last bold I made is speculation by Rotoworld and not what the Mariners said.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Thanks 1