colepenhagen

Robinson Cano 2018 Outlook

5 minutes ago, chud12 said:

DdQelTWUwAADDg0.jpg:large

That stuff is used to flush the system so that you can pass a drug test. Also called Lasix.  Yeah, you aren't taking that by accident...  

I wonder how long that stuff stays in the system and whether or not other guys are using it to appear clean.

• Like 1

Personally it saddens me.  I haven't played Fantasy Baseball in a couple years.  Cano however was a regular member of my team.  I have always been a fan.  Such a bummer this taints his career and chances for the HoF.

I'm willing to forgive a one time PED bust and give them the benefit of the doubt. But masking agents indicate that it's a prolonged usage and a coverup. Sad really. I really liked him. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

I'm willing to forgive a one time PED bust and give them the benefit of the doubt. But masking agents indicate that it's a prolonged usage and a coverup. Sad really. I really liked him. 

Nailed it. Cano has been one of my favorite players for a very long time. Probably my favorite swing in baseball over the last 5-10 years. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

yea i thought this was the rule idk where other guy got his info from haha

take your time on the hand cheater......guess ill still use you in august maybe

Probably read it on CBS lol. They are confused. I don’t think domestic violence suspensions can be served while on the dL. Maybe that’s what they were thinking. PEDs can. 

Cano (finger) has been suspended 80 games for testing positive for a performance-enhancing drug, Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports.

This is yet another brutal blow for the Mariners and Cano owners alike, as his suspension comes just days after he was diagnosed with a fractured fifth metacarpal in his right hand. Given he can't serve any of the suspension while on the disabled list, the veteran second baseman will likely be sidelined into late-August or early-September, depending on when he comes of the shelf. Cano was on a tear before his season was derailed, as he was hitting .287/.385/.441 with four homers and 23 RBI through 39 games. The Mariners haven't announced their plans at second base with Cano out for the foreseeable future, but they could opt to shift Dee Gordon to the keystone if the club doesn't want to move forward with Gordon Beckham and Andrew Romine at second base.”

• Like 1

As one of my favourite players I tried to give this guy the benefit of the doubt but its hard to, with the fact that he was caught with Furosemide in his system and his statement about why he was taking it - vague details on his 'condition' etc. Pretty sure its most commonly taken for heart failure or renal diseases (the most common of which effect children e.g. nephrotic syndromes). Robby was obviously using PEDs and the Furosemide was to flush and mask whatever he was taking.

Edited by Darkthrone

I always enjoy the part in every cookie-cutter statement released by a player after they get busted where they remark they didn't know it was on the list of banned substances. As if the list is hidden and hard to obtain, and it's too much to say "Hey Doc, can't have anything from this list."

I don't know, but if I was innocent and my money and reputation mattered to me, I don't see that as being a viable excuse or too much effort to exert when interacting with my physician. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Drop city. 

I mean hes due back mid august from suspension which makes him a viable option for the fantasy playoffs, unless your hurting for DL slots id stash em why not

we'll see if/when he loses that DL tag though

Edited by kmoore1521

I don't know if I missed it, but could the team activate him from the DL now and have him miss the 80 games with the suspension and have his hand get better during that time? or do they have to wait until his hand is good and then he misses 80 games?

EDIT: I see this on the twitter.

Edited by SpecialFNK
  • Like 2

I always thought he was too ripped to not be on something.

• Haha 1

He would have missed 40-60 games with the injury and just decided to give up appeals, he was busted in the winter, i'm suprised they let it go this long.

1 minute ago, azeri98 said:

He would have missed 40-60 games with the injury and just decided to give up appeals, he was busted in the winter, i'm suprised they let it go this long.

Sneaky by move Cano and his agent if he can start serving the suspension right after his 10 day DL stint. I seem to remember a player having to be cleared by medically before serving his suspension in the last year or two though.

22 minutes ago, Darkthrone said:

As one of my favourite players I tried to give this guy the benefit of the doubt but its hard to, with the fact that he was caught with Furosemide in his system and his statement about why he was taking it - vague details on his 'condition' etc. Pretty sure its most commonly taken for heart failure or renal diseases (the most common of which effect children e.g. nephrotic syndromes). Robby was obviously using PEDs and the Furosemide was to flush and mask whatever he was taking.

It's a really common diuretic used for edema or fluid overload. Heart disease (hypertension or heart failure), kidney disease, liver disease are the common causes of fluid overload outside of too much IV fluids, sepsis/SIRS with third spacing, bad pneumonia etc. So yeah there are reasons people take it, it's very common. But not USUALLY in healthy young adults or outside of pretty significant illnesses.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, roscobangs said:

Sneaky by move Cano and his agent if he can start serving the suspension right after his 10 day DL stint. I seem to remember a player having to be cleared by medically before serving his suspension in the last year or two though.

It is a sneaky move.  And honestly I don't like it.  Legal loopholes stuff.

I just looked it up.  He will be 36 next year and without his PEDs what will he been worth to the Mariners?  How long are they stuck with him?

In related news anyone see Cmline23 around?  This was the first year he seemed happy about his Mariners.  Maybe we should send a crisis intervention team out looking for him.  Cmline23, let us know if you are still alive, please.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Doesnt make a lot of sense, he is signed for 5 more years for big money.  At which point he will be 40.  So...

1. He truly didnt know what it was and made mistake

2. He has been on this stuff probably most of career and been masking it to perform, even if he is already paid

3. He is really on decline and thinks he need it just to get on the field and fulfill the contract

My grandfather was on the stuff for years toward the end of his life. It was to help with fluid accumulating in his body around his heart, lungs, and in his legs/ankles as a deterrent to congestive heart failure. He would always complain about "how the damn stuff makes me have to constantly tap a kidney". The doctors always said it was taking a large toll on his renal system, but the tradeoff needed to be made to extend his life.

Hearing that a ML ballplayer was prescribed it by a doctor for a medical condition is a pretty thin excuse. We're supposed to believe he had terrible fluid retention that required use of such a powerful diarrhetic? Get out of here.

Hugely successful athlete with tens of millions at stake and no one that represents him knows to say "hey doc, here's what will get us banned"? Won't buy it, ever.

EDIT: a word or two

Edited by Lebanasty
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

It is a sneaky move.  But I just looked it up.  he will be 36 next year and without his PEDs what will he been worth to the Mariners?  How long are they stuck with him?

He's in year 5 of a 10 year contract. 

5 minutes ago, parrothead said:

Doesnt make a lot of sense, he is signed for 5 more years for big money.  At which point he will be 40.  So...

1. He truly didnt know what it was and made mistake

2. He has been on this stuff probably most of career and been masking it to perform, even if he is already paid

3. He is really on decline and thinks he need it just to get on the field and fulfill the contract

Well we can rule #1 out obviously.  Lists aren't hidden away in safes and doctors treating professional athletes would have access to them too.

I'd like to lean to give him the benefit of the doubt and go with #3 but he was a teammate with A-Rod on the Yankees wasn't he?  I'd go with the A-Rod connection.  A-Rod use to try and recruit fellow players into using the "services" in Miami he used I read once.

I so want ESPN baseball broadcast to talk about the Cano suspension while the cameras are on in the booth and see if A-Rod can keep a straight face.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

The question now is, does he get to keep the DL tag or will he get hit with the dreaded SUSP label in fantasy?

• Like 1

It's allowed to be served concurrently with his stay on the DL.....but and this is a huge but....instead of the player getting paid if he's hurt like normal circumstances....he's losing 11 million dollars.

Edited by XxxOilOverloadxxX