twoseemer

J.T. Realmuto 2018 Outlook

He’s hitting his way out of Miami.  His homers are cheapies either.  He went right center for a jack last night.  

I guess the silver lining in him being in Miami is that there's probably not a worse situation he could be traded into

Jeter is rubbing his hands together and cackling in glee as Realmutos trade value skyrockets right now

A catcher that has power and steals bases?  Yes please!

Does he really catch 5 and even 6 games in a row??? 

This would add so much value in a weekly league.  He came of the DL a couple weeks ago and it looks like he caught the last 6 games before their day off??

6 hours ago, jahweedum said:

Does he really catch 5 and even 6 games in a row??? 

This would add so much value in a weekly league.  He came of the DL a couple weeks ago and it looks like he caught the last 6 games before their day off??

He will mix in a few games at 1B. He played first on Sunday

what are the chances of Realmuto getting traded during the season?

48 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

what are the chances of Realmuto getting traded during the season?

very good.

2nd day off in the last 3 days. Rotoworld blub says it's a "routine" day off which doesn't make any sense. Wonder if he's battling something. 

18 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Top fantasy catcher now?  Don’t think it’s far fetched 

I mean ESPN has him as #2 and only by a very slim margin behind Gattis, who only has 2 starts at C.  So there is a very real argument that he is indeed the #1 C.  And that's on a team providing him few opportunities for counting stats.  Can you imagine if he had the same RBI opportunities as, say, Sanchez, Gattis, or Grandal?  He would be #1 by a wide margin.

1 hour ago, JJ1223 said:

Can you imagine if he had the same RBI opportunities as, say, Sanchez, Gattis, or Grandal?

I assume this is in an ESPN points league context?  Roto-wise, the ESPN player rater has Realmuto 4th behind Gattis, Grandal, and Posey.

Of course, Realmuto did missed the first few weeks of the season, so being 4th in roto compared to some guys who've played 15-20% more games than you have is pretty special.  But it's not a guarantee that his first two weeks would have been as good as he's been since then, either, so...  I'm comfortable saying that he was a massive draft day bargain, and provided a huge ROI for those who were willing to take a chance on him.  And yeah, if he were in a better lineup, (like, say, the Marlins lineup of 2017) he'd easily be #1 overall with how poorly Sanchez has played.

On 6/14/2018 at 11:25 AM, tonycpsu said:

I assume this is in an ESPN points league context?  Roto-wise, the ESPN player rater has Realmuto 4th behind Gattis, Grandal, and Posey.

Of course, Realmuto did missed the first few weeks of the season, so being 4th in roto compared to some guys who've played 15-20% more games than you have is pretty special.  But it's not a guarantee that his first two weeks would have been as good as he's been since then, either, so...  I'm comfortable saying that he was a massive draft day bargain, and provided a huge ROI for those who were willing to take a chance on him.  And yeah, if he were in a better lineup, (like, say, the Marlins lineup of 2017) he'd easily be #1 overall with how poorly Sanchez has played.

Sorry, should have clarified.  He's #2 based on AVG, OPS, R, RBI, HR, SB

Edit: back up to #1 today

Edited by JJ1223

Yeah, I'd expect him to do well in a league context that double-counts AVG, as that's always been his carrying tool at the position.  I don't really see him adding any more power to his game than he already has over the last couple of years, so the path to #1 in standard 5x5 is probably to add stolen bases back to his arsenal.  He's only attempted one steal all season, which was successful.  Seems kind of odd that he's running *less* with the lineup pieces around him being so much worse than the likes of Yelich, Ozuna, and Stanton from last season when he went 8 for 10.  Though the numbers are small enough that a three attempt week could change things, so... maybe there's nothing notable here.

• Like 1

JT is ranked 3rd right now by Yahoo in a 5x5...behind Gattis and Grandal. I think I'd have to roll with Gattis as the top catcher right now because he has nearly twice the HR and RBI as JTR in seven more AB. He has the BA, but he doesn't have the lineup around him to be the top fantasy catcher, imho. He's tied for 11th among Cs in RBI, but he is third in Rs. Also ranked tied for 11th in HR. 

I think what makes JTR so attactive is that he rarely sits. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BenGayBrowns said:

Hearing some rumors of a potential Cleveland/Miami deal... Francisco Mejia, Kipnis, Gonzalez, etc for Realmuto, Starlin, and bullpen arm(s).

Is the etc something good?  Because the first 3 blow.  

24 minutes ago, BenGayBrowns said:

Hearing some rumors of a potential Cleveland/Miami deal... Francisco Mejia, Kipnis, Gonzalez, etc for Realmuto, Starlin, and bullpen arm(s).

Source?

On 6/15/2018 at 1:10 PM, tonycpsu said:

I don't really see him adding any more power to his game than he already has over the last couple of years, so the path to #1 in standard 5x5 is probably to add stolen bases back to his arsenal.

... or, he could just crack a couple of dongs at Camden Yards off of meatballin' Alex Cobb.  That works, too.

• Haha 1

On 6/15/2018 at 4:04 PM, Cmilne23 said:

Is the etc something good?  Because the first 3 blow.  

Gonzalez has been a pretty damn good utility IF for the Indians this season.  You are right about the other two, although Mejia is still likely to be considered a pretty high end prospect, so I could see the Marlins being legitimately interested in that trade if it's even remotely legit.  That would obviously cause Realmuto's fantasy value to soar.  Still, you can't really take it seriously until something other than a local podcast reports it.

I'd say his current #3 ranking on Yahoo is pretty accurate.  Today aside, the other two above him provide much more power.  I'd still love to have Realmuto, especially since catching is about as bad as it's ever been, but I still think third is pretty spot on right now.