smeeze

Joe Mixon 2018 Outlook

In a standard league.. Am I crazy to be considering him with the 2nd to last pick of the 2nd round? I know for a fact the person drafting 1st overall wants him at the turn, and his upside is far more tantalizing to me than Henry, McCaffrey, McKinnon, even Shady (Bills fan, but that offense is terrible). I see an uber talented player with improved surroundings (Better line, possibly healthy Eifert and J Ross to pull guys out of the box). What's not to like?

2 minutes ago, Olliemets said:

In a standard league.. Am I crazy to be considering him with the 2nd to last pick of the 2nd round? I know for a fact the person drafting 1st overall wants him at the turn, and his upside is far more tantalizing to me than Henry, McCaffrey, McKinnon, even Shady (Bills fan, but that offense is terrible). I see an uber talented player with improved surroundings (Better line, possibly healthy Eifert and J Ross to pull guys out of the box). What's not to like?

No not crazy at all in a 12 team league.  There aren't a lot of RB's I like as RB2's after Mixon.  Then take Doug Baldwin in the 3rd round.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Olliemets said:

In a standard league.. Am I crazy to Shady (Bills fan, but that offense is terrible). 

So is the Bengal's.

3 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

So is the Bengal's.

Bengals*

Would a collective noun like Bengals be a singular or plural verb agreement? 

Edited by hoppychokes

21 hours ago, Olliemets said:

Standard scoring I don't think Mixon is a bad choice vs the comps you provided, young 2nd year rb on a team that has made some moves to upgrade the o-line. I probably would prefer henry over Mixon in std because the titans have a more dynamic running game  and better o-line  and a mobile QB.

9 hours ago, hoppychokes said:

Would a collective noun like Bengals be a singular or plural verb agreement? 

You would say “Neither is the Bengals’ offense.”

11 hours ago, RMJ_12 said:

Bengals*

Actually *Bengals'.

If you are going to correct grammar, you really want to make sure you actually correct it.

2 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

Actually *Bengals'.

If you are going to correct grammar, you really want to make sure you actually correct it.

Yeah I'm dmb

1 hour ago, RMJ_12 said:

Yeah I'm dmb

Never heard that one before.

Try harder.

1 minute ago, Panthers8912 said:

Man I never should’ve corrected that one guys grammar. Look what I started :unsure:

Nah. Bengals' offense still sucks. All is ok.

21 minutes ago, Panthers8912 said:

I meant in another thread 

dmbo

I know..

On 7/14/2018 at 12:59 AM, Olliemets said:

To me it's still a case of Joe Mixon v. Marvin and Bill.

They have all the tools, provided Cordy Glenn/the rest of the team stays healthy. They got kinda boned in the NFL draft when it came to lineman slipping, but if Billy Price is worth the first round pick they paid and Cordy Glenn plays 16 games, their line could see THE biggest improvement in football this year. Lines are sometimes/often defined by their weakest links, but Cedric Obguehi (sp?) probably WAS that weakest link last year and he was the Left Tackles. Dude got smoked all 2016 at Right Tackle and the damn Bengals moved him to Left like it was a disguise-able issue. The rest of the line isn't great, but if Cordy can hold his own and Billy Price is worth the pick, the interior/blindsight should be greatly improved.

I don't think John Ross, even if he's fully healthy and geared up, produces more than a typical Taylor Gabriel-esque line, but if he just runs that kind of stretch route-tree with Andy/AJ still being a decent combo, Mixon should realistically have some room to run, and I think we did see enough of the talent last year.

I think Marvin Lewis at this point is just like a piece of driftwood or something. I don't trust him to hold anything up. I don't trust him to make good decisions. I understand they have a cheap owner and they couldn't find someone to bring in they particularly liked, but honestly I just feel like this team is set up to be a loser. I think Marvin's set up to be a loser. I think he's a Pagano and like Pagano I think he's drifting towards Fisher/Fox territory, to where it just feels like the game kinda passed them and they don't have mind / energy to reinvent. They think if they keep pushing the buttons they pushed once it's just going to go back to being fixed. And I just don't think it will. Bill Lazor is also someone I have little-to-no faith in. Both as a general tactician and as a OC for a Running Back. He was part of the infamous Lamar Miller season where Lamar never got run ever. People can point to hindsight of Lamar's recent volume all they want, that was a far superior Run Blocking OL, and he would start games with like 7/76 and then never be heard from again. Attitude seems to be they believe a lot in Mixon, and I believe in their heads they want to stress Mixon and stress running the ball. But when it ultimately comes down to it, the moment the chips go down, and I think they will quite often this season, I expect Bill Lazor to call plays like I've seen him call plays before, and that means calling the pass play he believes will set up the team the best and also not churn up the clock as much. I also expect Gio and Walton even to get their play on 3rds and even occasional drives. They've used many rotational back systems in Cincinatti, and while I don't think Mark Walton gets major play in 2018, I think just the fact that they drafted him says that they want a new Gio to replace the old Gio, and Gio's always been a bit more than just a COP in terms of snaps and carries. 

I don't have Mixon ranked that far off his ADP. So it's not like I'm saying I'm not touching him or anything. But I think that's the battle. I absolutely just do not trust this CS this year. There's not many CSs that I trust less.

Now, if they get their own young, sought after offensive mind in the coaching market next year, along with maybe a QB, THAT is when I could see Mixon really start to take off. Don't like him as much with the cards on the table as they are. 

• Like 4

It just hit me that on most sites when I see along post I’m like, f---, I’m not reading that s---, but when I see one on here I’m like, f---, that guy knows a lot, ima read that s---

17 hours ago, taobball said:

To me it's still a case of Joe Mixon v. Marvin and Bill.

They have all the tools, provided Cordy Glenn/the rest of the team stays healthy. They got kinda boned in the NFL draft when it came to lineman slipping, but if Billy Price is worth the first round pick they paid and Cordy Glenn plays 16 games, their line could see THE biggest improvement in football this year. Lines are sometimes/often defined by their weakest links, but Cedric Obguehi (sp?) probably WAS that weakest link last year and he was the Left Tackles. Dude got smoked all 2016 at Right Tackle and the damn Bengals moved him to Left like it was a disguise-able issue. The rest of the line isn't great, but if Cordy can hold his own and Billy Price is worth the pick, the interior/blindsight should be greatly improved.

I don't think John Ross, even if he's fully healthy and geared up, produces more than a typical Taylor Gabriel-esque line, but if he just runs that kind of stretch route-tree with Andy/AJ still being a decent combo, Mixon should realistically have some room to run, and I think we did see enough of the talent last year.

I think Marvin Lewis at this point is just like a piece of driftwood or something. I don't trust him to hold anything up. I don't trust him to make good decisions. I understand they have a cheap owner and they couldn't find someone to bring in they particularly liked, but honestly I just feel like this team is set up to be a loser. I think Marvin's set up to be a loser. I think he's a Pagano and like Pagano I think he's drifting towards Fisher/Fox territory, to where it just feels like the game kinda passed them and they don't have mind / energy to reinvent. They think if they keep pushing the buttons they pushed once it's just going to go back to being fixed. And I just don't think it will. Bill Lazor is also someone I have little-to-no faith in. Both as a general tactician and as a OC for a Running Back. He was part of the infamous Lamar Miller season where Lamar never got run ever. People can point to hindsight of Lamar's recent volume all they want, that was a far superior Run Blocking OL, and he would start games with like 7/76 and then never be heard from again. Attitude seems to be they believe a lot in Mixon, and I believe in their heads they want to stress Mixon and stress running the ball. But when it ultimately comes down to it, the moment the chips go down, and I think they will quite often this season, I expect Bill Lazor to call plays like I've seen him call plays before, and that means calling the pass play he believes will set up the team the best and also not churn up the clock as much. I also expect Gio and Walton even to get their play on 3rds and even occasional drives. They've used many rotational back systems in Cincinatti, and while I don't think Mark Walton gets major play in 2018, I think just the fact that they drafted him says that they want a new Gio to replace the old Gio, and Gio's always been a bit more than just a COP in terms of snaps and carries. 

I don't have Mixon ranked that far off his ADP. So it's not like I'm saying I'm not touching him or anything. But I think that's the battle. I absolutely just do not trust this CS this year. There's not many CSs that I trust less.

Now, if they get their own young, sought after offensive mind in the coaching market next year, along with maybe a QB, THAT is when I could see Mixon really start to take off. Don't like him as much with the cards on the table as they are. 

This was really good. Thanks. Where do you have him ranked? What do you think his ceiling is this year?

On 7/15/2018 at 10:29 AM, dmb3684 said:

Nah. Bengals' offense still sucks. All is ok.

Suck is a strong word.  If the o-line is improved I think things will be better for the run game this year.

I hope Mixon's ADP drops a bit because I will try to pick him up where I can.  I think he continues to get better and improve from last year. Lots of upside.

2 minutes ago, timexsocialclub said:

This was really good. Thanks. Where do you have him ranked? What do you think his ceiling is this year?

I wanna say I have him around RB17ish. I have him ahead of Guice, but behind Penny. I like cuffing Penny with Carson, but I still like Seattle's potential at the RB position. And then behind Howard and Collins as well. I have him over all the other rookies, non Penny/Barkley. And right now I'm not jumping any of the other, lower backs over him either I don't believe. 

2 minutes ago, taobball said:

I wanna say I have him around RB17ish. I have him ahead of Guice, but behind Penny. I like cuffing Penny with Carson, but I still like Seattle's potential at the RB position. And then behind Howard and Collins as well. I have him over all the other rookies, non Penny/Barkley. And right now I'm not jumping any of the other, lower backs over him either I don't believe. 

I think Mixon is a great talent but I have concerns about the situation around him. I do think the offense will improve this year but Gio remains a pretty big threat I think. I may fade Mixon some and target Penny and Sony in that range instead.

7 minutes ago, taobball said:

3 minutes ago, timexsocialclub said:

I think Mixon is a great talent but I have concerns about the situation around him. I do think the offense will improve this year but Gio remains a pretty big threat I think. I may fade Mixon some and target Penny and Sony in that range instead.

You guys are making a big mistake.  

• Like 3

Just now, Impreza178 said:

You guys are making a big mistake.  

We'll see. I don't trust Marvin right now to make a RB relevant.