smeeze

Joe Mixon 2018 Outlook

Agree that mixon is just flat better than Bernard, but Bernard is a good back in his own right. This creates quite the conundrum for resident idiot and head coach Marvin Lewis, who you already know will play the wrong guy regardless and fug everyone over. 

Oline was improved but I am worried about Lewis 

2 hours ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

Absolutely. Guice totally underrated in catching the ball....

Agreed. But CT still a better pass catcher 

2 hours ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

Absolutely. Guice totally underrated in catching the ball....

And Thompson is even more underrated as a rusher.

This seems to be a major debate. Guice v Mixon and it was a good one. Who was the better college player? They both slipped in the draft due to off-field issues.

Took both of them @ 1.02 in their rookie drafts. And it is easily Mixon for me.  Skins o-line is better but that's the only advantage I give Guice over Mixon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, howlin' 2 said:

Took both of them @ 1.02 in their rookie drafts. And it is easily Mixon for me.  Skins o-line is better but that's the only advantage I give Guice over Mixon.

Better quarterback, better offense, better coach.

• Like 1

Joe Mixon has slimmed down to 218 pounds.

That's 12 pounds lighter than he was last season. "I feel real good," said Mixon. "I feel like I’m in really good shape." The former Oklahoma Sooner took his lumps as a rookie, averaging a mere 3.5 yards per carry. However, he fared significantly better down the stretch (5.0 yards per attempt over his final four games) and will enter the 2018 campaign as Cincinnati's clear workhorse. He's being drafted as an upside-RB2 in most formats.

5 minutes ago, smeeze said:

That's 12 pounds lighter than he was last season. "I feel real good," said Mixon. "I feel like I’m in really good shape." The former Oklahoma Sooner took his lumps as a rookie, averaging a mere 3.5 yards per carry. However, he fared significantly better down the stretch (5.0 yards per attempt over his final four games) and will enter the 2018 campaign as Cincinnati's clear workhorse. He's being drafted as an upside-RB2 in most formats.

Cue the Leveon season 2 weight loss hype

16 minutes ago, smeeze said:

I hope that’s true and it should be true, but saying he’ll enter as the clear workhorse is a bit speculative in this blurb. 

9 minutes ago, JHM_13 said:

I hope that’s true and it should be true, but saying he’ll enter as the clear workhorse is a bit speculative in this blurb. 

The blurbs always seem to speculate too much.  Remember when Hyde was a cut candidate?

But I agree with it in this case.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Cue the Leveon season 2 weight loss hype

Excelt no one was pushing that hype when it happened until AFTER Bell exploded wk 1 vs CLE.

Just now, joshua18 said:

Excelt no one was pushing that hype when it happened until AFTER Bell exploded wk 1 vs CLE.

And NOW there's a completely speculative precedent from which to hype. Hence naming the hype "Leveon" :)  

• Like 1

Everything continues to look good/improve with this guy. Slimming down is a good thing for him and he still carries enough weight. Sounds like he has been pretty focused and has gone hard on the training.

Things are on the up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, smeeze said:

Last year's rookie camp, Mixon actually weighed 238. So that's 20 lbs lighter from that point (perhaps he played at 230 though)

• Like 1

I'm all aboard the Mixon hype train, but how about that schedule?

PIT/BAL/CLE typically has some pretty stout defenses, and all 3 finished in the top-15 last year.

3 hours ago, AirForceOne said:

I'm all aboard the Mixon hype train, but how about that schedule?

PIT/BAL/CLE typically has some pretty stout defenses, and all 3 finished in the top-15 last year.

Gotta mostly disregard schedule. It seems like the most useless consideration for whether or not to draft someone, in my opinion. Draft the talent.

• Like 2

I love rb's that lose weight. Price and Glenn should prove to be o-line upgrades (when healthy), and I believe it was Warren Sharp (or someone) who ranked the Bengals as having a top 5/10 fantasy schedule. I'll be plenty happy with Mixon if he's my rb2.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, timexsocialclub said:

Gotta mostly disregard schedule. It seems like the most useless consideration for whether or not to draft someone, in my opinion. Draft the talent.

x2.   SOS is one of the most useless and overreferenced stats out there.  Not to mention division games are usually fought tooth and nail between teams that know each other well.  

The games where Mixon suffers will be when Cincy gets blown out of the water quickly.    That’s a recipe for a heavy dose of Gio.  

• Like 2

Love Mixon at the round 2/3 turn there. Especially if I can pair him with a top RB1 like Gurley/Johnson/Bell. RB2 talent with upside to be a RB1. 

The only thing I don’t like is that his coach is Marvin Lewis. Hopefully he doesn’t fumble in the first quarter and get benched the rest of the game. 

Wish this guy was going cheaper, can’t see myself paying the price for Mixon when I think Gio Bernard will see plenty of touches too. I’ve seen lots of Gio and he’s pretty darn good too. 

Two years ago, Melvin Gordon was coming off a horrible rookie season and he was going around the 7th round in his sophomore year and didn’t have a lot of competition for carries. I know it’s a different situation but I still just wish Mixon didn’t cost so much. 

1 hour ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

Wish this guy was going cheaper, can’t see myself paying the price for Mixon when I think Gio Bernard will see plenty of touches too. I’ve seen lots of Gio and he’s pretty darn good too. 

Not sure why Gio matters.  You'd probably pay a late 1st round pick for Kamara when Ingram will see a lot of touches. 

Mixon was actually top 10 in the league in % of team carries after Hill got hurt last season.

On 7/19/2018 at 11:23 AM, ShowStopper said:

He will be the steal of this draft 

he's being drafted in the mid to late 2nd round, for him to be the steal of the draft, he'd have to jump Bell/DJ/Gurley/Elliot this year

• Like 2

I really hate that I can’t get a discount on him.  I had him as my rookie RB1 in last years draft and expected some diminished value after last year but it seems like everyone else is a believer as well.

All logic tells you that guys like Jordan Howard, McKinnon, Freeman, Gronk, Kelce, Mike Evans, and Hilton are better picks in that late 2nd/early 3rd area but I know I’ll be kicking myself if he turns into the next Bell/DJ/Gurley.  He will probably be my hardest decision this draft season.

Edited by Chwf3rd
  • Like 1