smeeze

Joe Mixon 2018 Outlook

1 minute ago, hoppychokes said:

I would be surprised if he doesn't go first round next year. 

1st round only if lazor+marv are gone

21 minutes ago, ShowStopper said:

Was a pleasure having him on my team this year. He is an absolute stud. If bengals continue to improve the o line and get all their surrounding weapons healthy again next year watch out. He has the tools and potential to be one of the best backs in the league. He can do it all, run and catch. 

11 minutes ago, Hero202 said:

What are you guys thinking his ADP is next year?  He could be a nice RB1 to pair with a WR like Hopkins, Jones, or ODB if you're drafting in the later picks. 

He has all the skills in the world. What he needs is a new head coach or at the very least a new offensive coordinator. Bill Lazor is terrible for running backs.

He was a late 3rd round pick for me in standard. Should go early 2nd in standard redrafts next year.

Edited by Newtown

Just now, dashoe said:

1st round only if lazor+marv are gone

He finished RB10 with them, missing multiple games and slowly becoming the only talent on offense.

He should go first round even if coaching stays the same.

11 hours ago, hoppychokes said:

He finished RB10 with them, missing multiple games and slowly becoming the only talent on offense.

He should go first round even if coaching stays the same.

Finishing rb10  for the season is not a good metric considering the spread between rb10 and rb11 =1 pt,  rb11 was hunt who was suspeneded,, rb12 cohen-rb13 lindsay were situational starters, spread rb 10 and rb15 = 40pts and  rb 15 is chubb who didnt become the starting rb until wk 7 or 8.  So the season long ranking is not worth much when you dig into it. 

Mixon was my first rb this draft  because he was cheap relative to his opportunity and what i thought would become a strong bengals offense. 

I wouldnt take him as a 1st rd pick because the Bengals are bad and predictably don't feature him as they should with play calling  that is head scratching at times.. The coaches kill his optimal value. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Finishing rb10  for the season is not a good metric considering the spread between rb10 and rb11 =1 pt,  rb11 was hunt who was suspeneded,, rb12 cohen-rb13 lindsay were situational starters, spread rb 10 and rb15 = 40pts and  rb 15 is chubb who didnt become the starting rb until wk 7 or 8.  So the season long ranking is not worth much when you dig into it. 

Mixon was my first rb this draft  because he was cheap relative to his opportunity and what i thought would become a strong bengals offense. 

I wouldnt take him as a 1st rd pick because the Bengals are bad and predictably don't feature him as they should with play calling  that is head scratching at times.. The coaches kill his optimal value. 

I’m not sure what your point is, production is production.  Now that the season is over, projections and hypotheticals are meaningless at this point.  You’re implying that he was lucky but he got injured for 2 games and his qb and wr got injured.  I could argue he was very unlucky, he could have had bigger numbers if the script around him was better.  He finished where deserved to finish.  I’d bet that he was a top 10 rb over the last 3 weeks, the money weeks.  I’d consider him a winning player to have.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rickydragon said:

I’m not sure what your point is, production is production.  Now that the season is over, projections and hypotheticals are meaningless at this point.  You’re implying that he was lucky but he got injured for 2 games and his qb and wr got injured.  I could argue he was very unlucky, he could have had bigger numbers if the script around him was better.  He finished where deserved to finish.  I’d bet that he was a top 10 rb over the last 3 weeks, the money weeks.  I’d consider him a winning player to have.  

I didnt imply anything remotely to what you are stating especially the "he was lucky" part. I suggest you read my posts again if you want to have a fruitful debate :)

50 minutes ago, dashoe said:

He is RB9 in PPG if you think that metric is better than total points. He was a dependable RB when he started and he has one of the best handcuff situations in the league.

He should be a first rounded next year, I wouldn't expect him to make it out especially withbhow RB heavy the fantasy community swung this year.

Like I said, I didn’t even understand your point.  He was top 10 all season, top 10 playoff rb(?).  Clearly a winning player at a position that is unforgiving.  We got him in 3rd round, probably my best pick.  Pairing him with an rb1 gave me an advantage most weeks in a tight league.  

• Like 1

Lazor was not the problem. 

Sub par when healthy, and often unhealthy, offensive line... Injured QB and WR1... Terrible D that can't get off the field....  Those were the problems that would put Mixon at his floor. 

And his floor wasn't bad. 

Imagine if they draft defense and OL, and stay healthy.... 

Dude was top ten despite a s---y situation and losing two games. Super stud. Was great to own him. Congrats all who got him 3rd round and later. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Rickydragon said:

Like I said, I didn’t even understand your point.  He was top 10 all season, top 10 playoff rb(?).  Clearly a winning player at a position that is unforgiving.  We got him in 3rd round, probably my best pick.  Pairing him with an rb1 gave me an advantage most weeks in a tight league.  

The point is using a season long points ranking as a metric to draft a player in the first round is a poor process. 

Should Cohen who finished 1 pt less @ rb11 with less touches and volume trade in the 1st rd too or how about Chubb who finished 40 pts less at  rb15, was a backup for 6 games had as a starter 301 snaps vs Mixon 525 snaps  184 touches vs 266 Mixon touches? By all accounts Chubb should draft well ahead of Mixon. 

My point  again is season long rankings as the primary focus of the draft process is a  poor process. 

I thought Mixon was an exceptional value this season and i drafted him as such however with what I saw from the play calling this season, I'm not convinced he is a 1st rd value next season in ppr.  The coaching staff handicaps his potential production. 

Now if you think he is a 1st rd pick then that's fine, my opinion is no more valid than yours. :)

13 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

Lazor was not the problem. 

Sub par when healthy, and often unhealthy, offensive line... Injured QB and WR1... Terrible D that can't get off the field....  Those were the problems that would put Mixon at his floor. 

And his floor wasn't bad. 

Imagine if they draft defense and OL, and stay healthy.... 

Dude was top ten despite a s---y situation and losing two games. Super stud. Was great to own him. Congrats all who got him 3rd round and later. 

Yet their o-line was ranked #9 in run blocking and #10 in pass protection?

Your statement is not consistent with the oline results.  Their problems start with the OC and then it translates into the QB play.

Their oline is ranked significantly higher than the NYG yet Barkley was the focal point of their offense and cin/NYG defenses were both ranked in bottom 10 with cin being lower.

Now I'm not saying Mixon is a better talent than Barkley however i am saying he wasnt utilized effectively by the coaching staff, particularly when AJG went down.

Simply put the coaches never adopted their schemes and play to the strength of the personnel available to play. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dashoe said:

Your statement is not consistent with the oline results.  Their problems start with the OC and then it translates into the QB play.

Their oline is ranked significantly higher than the NYG yet Barkley was the focal point of their offense and cin/NYG defenses were both ranked in bottom 10 with cin being lower.

Now I'm not saying Mixon is a better talent than Barkley however i am saying he wasnt utilized effectively by the coaching staff, particularly when AJG went down.

Simply put the coaches never adopted their schemes and play to the strength of the personnel available to play. 

Ask any bengals fan, they’ll tell you the offensive line is garbage, and has been garbage since 2016

4 hours ago, dashoe said:

Following AJGs injury Mixon scored 19.8 RB4, 25 RB3, 7.8 RB30 something.

Are you really claiming he wasn't properly utilized (for fantasy purposes) in those three weeks? Especially when he outscored your example Barkley?

11 minutes ago, hoppychokes said:

Are you really claiming he wasn't properly utilized (for fantasy purposes) in those three weeks? Especially when he outscored your example Barkley?

Yes he could have done more. . .:lol:.

I can understand if you were satisfied with those results but i wasnt :)

3 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Yes he could have done more. . .:lol:.

I can understand if you were satisfied with those results but i wasnt :)

386de5fb9fecc236b6be1a4e5e4beaa54b9c1abf

51 minutes ago, hoppychokes said:

Image result for i must win at all cost gif

Edited by dashoe

7 hours ago, dashoe said:

Thanks for bringing that info. I'm not sure where these stats and rankings are coming from. And I'm open to the possibility of being wrong.  But this OL was awful in 17, and the only added Glenn and Price in 18, both of whom were consistently injured. 

I'd bet that Lazor's scheme and Mixon's ability were the two main factors in creating yards before contact, which is probably what those numbers are based on.  Don't forget how effective Lamar Miller was in Lazor's scheme in Miami. 

They have two good OL who were often hurt this year. I would still consider it a below average unit.   If they draft an elite C or RT then they can be average to above average. 

Contrast with the Lions OL which is loaded with talent, but the OC can't scheme to run to save his life. I think Cincy personnel up front still has a way to go. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dashoe said:

I watched the games. 

When Bernard got hurt Mixon became the every down back and the offense was rolling and Mixon was bleeding points all the way to the end zone. 

When Gio came back Mixon became a 2 down back again while Gio would kill drives and the Bengals would punt. 

Then they lost everything they had on offense and remained firm using this strategy and Gio continued to kill drives. 

This is play calling. I agree with you. Not sure some people debating you watch more than a spread sheet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1