garlando

Jon Gray 2018 Outlook

I thought about it but decided i'd rather not commit fantasy suicide.

I'll start him. Cubs haven't been scary and Gray is coming off his best game yet

Posted (edited)

I don't care if it was the Padres or not... he had 23 swinging strikes against the them according to his blurb (INSANE), and the results are actually linked to a tangible change in his slider grip. I'm feeling optimistic about his outlook going forward.

Edited by Dirtywater97

It's blowing 16 mph out at Wrigley. Do we dare start Gray? His profile shows he produces more ground balls than fly balls. I'm sure he will have changed his signals since his last start against the Cubs he got rocked.

I love the logic here. He beat the Padres, so obviously he's going to do great against the Cubs at Wrigley. Half his strikeouts were on fastballs higher than the press box. He could do fine - i just don't think it's a smart start.

Definitely a sit for me with the wind blowing out and warm weather. If he does well on my bench it'll give me more confidence to start him against good offenses but at this point I need to see it before I believe it. 

Pleasantly  surprised, great start by Gray. 

What a stud. As long he's throwing that slider. I am happy. 

That's what I'm talking about! Alright he gets the green light.

He was dropped in my league a couple weeks back and has looked like an ace these last two starts. What does he project ROS? Coors intimidates me a little from grabbing this guy

Posted (edited)

Command is significantly improved now. In the broadcast they were talking about how previously he was throwing the slider using his middle finger on the seam now he has switched over the index finger. Noticeable difference in control.

He also generated a lot of nice weak GB contact. And his first pitch strike % has sky rocketed these past two starts and that's the big difference for him IMO, being ahead in counts is key for him.

Edited by Dirtywater97
  • Like 2

Buy Buy Buy!!!

Before everyone figures out this guy was a step away from being an ace, and actually pitches better at Coors.

Fangraphs wrote a nice piece on him

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/jon-gray-is-becoming-the-best-that-the-rockies-have-had/

It basically said that he's ready to breakout THIS year.

I don't know why they used Ubaldo Jimenez, he stringed a couple years where he was unhittable, and was probably the best pitcher in baseball. The rest of his career was largely mediocre.

I like the turn around but LAA at Coors next start?  No thanks.  Looks like MIL at Coors after that, unless he gets bumped then he'd get @SD.

24 minutes ago, En Votto Veritas said:

I like the turn around but LAA at Coors next start?  No thanks.  Looks like MIL at Coors after that, unless he gets bumped then he'd get @SD.

He just pitched in CHC with the winds blowing out, way out. And did very well.

Not only that, but his home/road splits will change your opinion on where you might start him.

And the Brewers strike out A LOT.

10 minutes ago, dkrocka said:

He just pitched in CHC with the winds blowing out, way out. And did very well.

Not only that, but his home/road splits will change your opinion on where you might start him.

And the Brewers strike out A LOT.

Home: 16 IP, 7.31 ERA, 1.63 WHIP

Away: 23 IP, 3.42 ERA, 1.09 WHIP

My opinion is unchanged on starting him at home vs the Angels.  MIL is a different story though.

Lets not forget, he's pretty good at inducing ground balls. 

Looks great again tonight vs the angels

Posted (edited)

I sat him too. Hooefully this is a sign of things to come.

Edited by AroundTheHorn

That went much much better than expected.

Shaky first ininning, getting base loaded after two quick outs, but after that he was just great, borderline impresive.

If he stays healthy this could be the year after all.

Inb4 jon gray is money at home. Don't let the 2018 splits fool you he was a full run better at home last year and a half a run better in 2016

I honestly don't know a lot about this guy. Is he a must own, even in 10 team leagues? I've just had it ingrained in my head for years to avoid Rockies SPs, but is he an exception?

Just now, DFWSooner said:

I honestly don't know a lot about this guy. Is he a must own, even in 10 team leagues? I've just had it ingrained in my head for years to avoid Rockies SPs, but is he an exception?

For sure, potential Ace material. I think by the end of this year, he'll have everything figured out. He's prob a SP 4, 5 in a 10 teamer imo, and I'd have him rostered.

• Like 1