garlando

Jon Gray 2018 Outlook

14 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

A young man named Matt Harrington did that once.  Then proceeded to not sign 4 other times and ended up never receiving much of a payday from baseball.  Went from turning down over a 4 mil signing bonus to making $11.50 at hour at Costco.  While Coors may be death to arms, it’s always in a persons best interest as an amateur to sign on the line and take the money because you never know what could happen with your health.  

This seems like pure hyperbole but, much to my surprise, it's all true.

Posted (edited)

image.png.8a008ebe1bf2c54331e4e1e5fd09cb3a.png

You can see that is not nearly as clustered as Grays and Gray has thrown 100 More such pitches than Kluber.  Gray probably doesn't have the confidence to locate. So he just "throws strikes" and probably doesn't have the confidence to throw the breaker as much.

Just giving an example of a pitcher who can actually locate can do when down in the count vs someone who cant. That and everything Kluber throws moves... Grays is throwing something that is easy to tee off on.

Edited by Slatykamora

Any news on Gray? I think I read he gave up 2 runs on two hits in his lone minor league start. When can we expect him back?

1 hour ago, RBI Sports said:

Any news on Gray? I think I read he gave up 2 runs on two hits in his lone minor league start. When can we expect him back?

You're on the internet so just go to his page....He didn't make it out of the 5th, striking out 7 and walking four in his second outing. 

Gonna need a little better than that. Thought he'd be back after the ASB but might be a bit longer.

• Haha 1

Called back up for the start tomorrow. Is the juice worth the squeeze?

• Like 1

No idea what to expect tommorrow...It's his first game back, at Coors, against a good lineup. I can see him going out there and pitching a gem as an FU to the front office for demoting him, but can also see him blowing up. I'll probably sit him but I'm on the fence

If he can do better when runners are on base, dude could be a difference maker.

I still want to believe in Jon Gray. But I'm not getting sucked in this time. (and of course he'll pitch a nice game)

Still keeping him on the radar however. Definitely.

6 minutes ago, k.k. said:

I still want to believe in Jon Gray. But I'm not getting sucked in this time. (and of course he'll pitch a nice game)

Still keeping him on the radar however. Definitely.

10K 14 ER 

Book it 😬

On 7/12/2018 at 5:11 PM, ryno1980 said:

You're on the internet so just go to his page....He didn't make it out of the 5th, striking out 7 and walking four in his second outing. 

Gonna need a little better than that. Thought he'd be back after the ASB but might be a bit longer.

@Backdoor Slider he was called up ONLY due to injury

Expecting a nice game from him tonight. His performance should dictate whether or not he stays in the majors. He needs this. I need this. Go JG!

Wow, nothing about his very good start tonight? 

18 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

I wouldn't stream him. He's pitching at Coors and facing the Mariners, who are 6th in wRC+.

Good call. 

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, jstep13 said:

Good call. 

Hindsight is 20/20. You have to look at the information available to you and make a judgement call. Doesn't always work out. Either way, I don't even own Gray, so I couldn't care less.

Edited by Fuzzy_Slippers
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Gray is available in my league but I can't bring myself to own a Rockies pitcher, even if Gray has a fantastic pedigree and upside.  Wrong on my part to pass on Gray when I have Guerra and Wheeler on my roster?

32 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Hindsight is 20/20. You have to look at the information available to you and make a judgement call. Doesn't always work out. Either way, I don't even own Gray, so I couldn't care less.

??? I think this makes the Rockies look even more inept then usual. Gray deserves to be on the pro roster and they either don't get it or are intentionally sandbagging their future. As far as the info available... the A's are a HR reliant team facing a strikeout pitcher. Coors or not, I'd take the pitcher every time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GC Tacos said:

??? I think this makes the Rockies look even more inept then usual. Gray deserves to be on the pro roster and they either don't get it or are intentionally sandbagging their future. As far as the info available... the A's are a HR reliant team facing a strikeout pitcher. Coors or not, I'd take the pitcher every time.

He faced the Mariners, not the Athletics.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, GC Tacos said:

Struggling young pitchers lose their MLB rotation spot all the time. Can often come back from it better. Sometimes sending him to the minors is preferable to a BP stint because it keeps him stretched/on a routine.  So I completely dis-agree with it being inept choice. He clearly had things to work on.

Edited by Slatykamora

I'm glad I don't own this guy again but at a glance his peripherals make no sense. Until you dig into it more and see that he straight up sucks pitching out of the stretch. His walk rate jumps a ton, his K-rate is significantly higher with the bases empty (over 13) while its 8.4 with a 3.98 BB/9 with men on base. Batters are OPSing .885 against him out of the stretch. Yuck. 

Feel like a good pitching coach would be able to fix this, but rockies gon rockies. He has the potential to be a biggg post hype breakout player but I wouldn't want anything to do with him until then.