Dirtywater97

Daulton Varsho - C/2B/3B/OF ARI

Daulton Varsho is an interesting prospect and probably the only catching prospect I would want to roster outside of a Francisco Mejia or Keibert Ruiz for fantasy.

Drafted 68th overall in the 2017 draft out of LSU. Varsho only 21 years old is extremely athletically gifted for the Catcher position. So much so that he could probably play 2B/3B or OF for a big league club. He is however good enough defensively to stick at the catcher position with his one knock being a subpar arm.

He started last year out A- and performed with a very impressive line of:

311AVG 368OBP 534SLG 223ISO with 7HR - 17 2B - 3 3B - 7SB with 2CS in only 212AB this came with an 8% BB and 14.2% K rates.

He posseses the highest ceiling potentially in the minors for a fantasy catching prospect. He is player that could hit 20HR and steal 20 bags at the catcher position and produce a solid maybe even plus average if everything clicks. A safer projection would be that of a 15/15 player with a 270ish AVG and better version of J.T. Realmuto or someone similar.

His potential pitfalls are basically that his bat is so advanced and he so athletically gifted for a catcher that they switch him to another position outside of catcher just to get his bat in an MLB line up sooner.

Edited by Dirtywater97
  • Like 3

He played at my alma mater, UWM, or Milwaukee. It's been a quality smaller program for a long while.

He's certainly a gifted hitter, it will be interesting to see how they push him and what the reports look like for his defense.

• Like 1

Starting the year out smoking hot!

2-4 2R 1 2B 1HR 5RBI last night

1SB already as well

Can't resist 20/20 potential at the catcher position with a solid to plus average.

Edited by Dirtywater97

1 hour ago, Dirtywater97 said:

Starting the year out smoking hot!

2-4 2R 1 2B 1HR 5RBI last night

1SB already as well

Can't resist 20/20 potential at the catcher position with a solid to plus average.

Certainly an impressive stat line, and start to the season for Mr Varsho....He is displaying plenty  of bat speed and the compact swing from the left hand side that were familiar with.  The hope now is just that he can stick behind the plate!

If we're lucky this is a Schwarber kind of prospect. Also if we're lucky, maybe we get 20 games at Catcher. Worth taking a flyer on. 

• Like 1

4 hr/14r/15rbi/5sb with a 13.5% BB and 18% K rate in 89 PAs with a .280/.390/.507 triple slash so far in high A.

• Like 2

And just like that he’s at 9 stolen bases in 17 PAs since my last post. Damn, kid can run evidently. 

Edited by KrunK
  • Like 1

Such an intriguing stash for dynasty at catcher. What are the chances he stays there? And if he can receive well enough, what’s the realistic ETA to the bigs? He’s been producing so consistently, but the hype doesn’t seem to be there quite yet in comparison to Mejia/Ruiz. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThreadKiller said:

Does Varsho stick at C?

TBD but I think unlikely. One of the few C prospects though who I think will have value if moved elsewhere. Would be fantastic if he got the call when the NL adds DH. Could be a situation similar to Schwarber, with less power, better avg.

He does make up for lessor arm strength with his quick actions. So there is hope. That upside at C is super tempting. You don't see the feel to hit, speed and power from C often.

He athletic enough to play other positions. He doesn't need a DH/1B or hide in LF like most other catchers to make it elsewhere.

Even if he is a catcher hybrid/utility type player, there is a strong likelihood that he could amass enough starts annually at catcher to retain eligibility.  There is talk of him playing some at the keystone and outfield, providing potential for him to even see more regular at bats than traditional backstops.  

Unless he makes some adjustments at the plate he will struggle to hit for high average, however the combination of power & speed is tantalizing enough to make him worth a roster spot.  

• Like 1

On 2/22/2019 at 9:48 AM, F@ndemonium said:

Even if he is a catcher hybrid/utility type player, there is a strong likelihood that he could amass enough starts annually at catcher to retain eligibility.  There is talk of him playing some at the keystone and outfield, providing potential for him to even see more regular at bats than traditional backstops.  

Unless he makes some adjustments at the plate he will struggle to hit for high average, however the combination of power & speed is tantalizing enough to make him worth a roster spot.  

I agree that he could very well be a hybrid type player; what I am trying to figure out though is what BA are we looking at him providing in his prime. I asked the question to Michael at IBW and hopefully will get an answer back soon; he had him at .240; is this a good indication? Somehow I feel it's a bit low.

From his 2018 A+ K % and BB% (shown below), which is average, gave me a feel that he will be between .250 and in his prime .275 (I know subjective); his power should develop enough to be an annual 20+HR, with 15 to 20 SB, I think that's a good counting stats for a player who has a C eligibility. 

Season Team G PA HR R RBI SB BB% K% ISO BABIP AVG OBP SLG wOBA wRC+ BsR Off Def WAR
2017 Diamondbacks (A-) 50 212 7 36 39 7 8.0 % 14.2 % .223 .338 .311 .368 .534 .407 150        
2018 Diamondbacks (R) 3 12 1 4 1 0 0.0 % 8.3 % .583 .500 .500 .500 1.083 .705 321        
2018 Diamondbacks (A+) 80 342 11 44 44 19 8.8 % 20.8 % .164 .341 .286 .363 .451 .362 121        
2019 Steamer 0 1 0 0 0 0 5.8 % 22.2 % .111 .266 .220 .272 .331 .263 60 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0

7 hours ago, AF25 said:

I agree that he could very well be a hybrid type player; what I am trying to figure out though is what BA are we looking at him providing in his prime. I asked the question to Michael at IBW and hopefully will get an answer back soon; he had him at .240; is this a good indication? Somehow I feel it's a bit low.

From his 2018 A+ K % and BB% (shown below), which is average, gave me a feel that he will be between .250 and in his prime .275 (I know subjective); his power should develop enough to be an annual 20+HR, with 15 to 20 SB, I think that's a good counting stats for a player who has a C eligibility. 

Season Team G PA HR R RBI SB BB% K% ISO BABIP AVG OBP SLG wOBA wRC+ BsR Off Def WAR
2017 Diamondbacks (A-) 50 212 7 36 39 7 8.0 % 14.2 % .223 .338 .311 .368 .534 .407 150        
2018 Diamondbacks (R) 3 12 1 4 1 0 0.0 % 8.3 % .583 .500 .500 .500 1.083 .705 321        
2018 Diamondbacks (A+) 80 342 11 44 44 19 8.8 % 20.8 % .164 .341 .286 .363 .451 .362 121        
2019 Steamer 0 1 0 0 0 0 5.8 % 22.2 % .111 .266 .220 .272 .331 .263 60 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0

While a .250 avg is certainly within the realm of possibility, his 50.9% pull% & 31.5 IFFB% suggest that he would likely require some refinement to his current approach to meet a much higher ceiling (.275)  

Even so, the current profile is enticing enough to get excited about considering how talent-starved the current fantasy landscape is at the catcher position.  

On 2/24/2019 at 5:43 AM, F@ndemonium said:

While a .250 avg is certainly within the realm of possibility, his 50.9% pull% & 31.5 IFFB% suggest that he would likely require some refinement to his current approach to meet a much higher ceiling (.275)  

Even so, the current profile is enticing enough to get excited about considering how talent-starved the current fantasy landscape is at the catcher position.  

You are judging numbers based on a player who was adjusting to a new level then got hurt half way thur the season.

Not to mention upper minors gives you a closer reflection of a player then lower minors. He had a below average Strikeouts vs swinging (14.3) and above average strikeouts looking (6.6)

Not talk at all? Having a very solid season showing power speed and solid AVG. The plate discipline is impressive too, he really doesn't strike out much.

Carson Kelly's emergence at catcher for the Dbacks certainly puts some damper on his future value.

Catcher is the only position that has significant value. 

Varsho has been on fire lately.  Will he be moved away from catcher?  Carson Kelly is the superior defender by a long shot, but maybe Varsho can replace Avilas?  I would love to get a Realmuto type catcher on my dynasty but not sure if Varsho can stick at catcher.  Thoughts?  At this point, I'm teetering between Beer and Varsho as the better prospect to pick up.