handyandy86

Matt Carpenter 2018 Outlook

16 hours ago, Philoumenos said:

Saw this on Fangraphs' in the "most changed hitters" update, thought it was pretty interesting.

And the blurb on him:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/here-are-baseballs-most-changed-hitters/

Maybe things aren't looking as bright as some people seem to think.

Came here to post the same link.

I was digging through the numbers a couple weeks ago and I found the same thing. Everything -- that is, the key peripheral statistics -- was trending down.

Edited by My Dinner With Andre

4 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Came here to post the same link.

I was digging through the numbers a couple weeks ago and I found the same thing. Everything -- that is, the key peripheral statistics -- was trending down.

The only real positive I see is that his pull numbers are a little down from last year. I don't know how much that really matters though if he's going to get shifted on 80% of the time anyways, and can't go oppo.

Dropped him.  Couldn't watch the 0-4 with 2ks and  a BB anymore.  By far the worst draft pick I made this year.  This is one of the few instances where I hope he's injured because then he can just get healthy and start hitting again.  If he just truly sucks now then that's too bad since he's not that old.  If there's any silver lining, he's been so bad that if you go to my league's free agent list he won't even show up on the first page so if he heats up at some point I should be able pick him up again pretty easily.

15 minutes ago, PPolanco said:

Not starting tonight. 

Against Tyson Ross, a righty that Carpenter has a 1.618 OPS against in 11 plate appearances.  With LHP Clayton Richard going tomorrow, I wonder if this might be a situation where they sit him back to back before the off day on Monday so he can try to regroup.

• Like 1

Yeah I was not expecting him to sit today.  He normally plays 2B vs lefties too so we'll see about tomorrow.

I also wonder if he could be hurt - maybe even the shoulder bothering him which would be pretty bad news for him bouncing back.

Does anyone remember when Carpenter used to be a good player?  Seems like ages go.

RIP to Carp's career.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kittenmittons said:

Yeah I was not expecting him to sit today.  He normally plays 2B vs lefties too so we'll see about tomorrow.

I also wonder if he could be hurt - maybe even the shoulder bothering him which would be pretty bad news for him bouncing back.

He's been putrid against lefties this year (29 wRC+ across 28 PAs so far) in his small sample, and Wong has been slightly less putrid against them, so it wouldn't shock me if they just gave Carp the weekend off.

It's not like they're suddenly floundering without him.

As expected, sitting again today. If 3 days of mental and physical rest doesn't fix whatever is wrong here, I don't know what will. 

On 5/13/2018 at 1:43 PM, tonycpsu said:

As expected, sitting again today. If 3 days of mental and physical rest doesn't fix whatever is wrong here [...]

RON HOWARD: It didn't.

• Haha 1

The dude has to be batting something like .100 against fastballs. He's atrocious, and looks clearly hampered by injuries still.

I'm just doing some late-night poking through Statcast data for fun:

16 hits so far this year, coming from a Changeup (6), 4-Seamer (5), Cutter (2), Slider (1), 2-Seamer (1) and Curveball (1).

D8lTq2t.png

59 swings and misses, coming from a 4-Seamer (17), Slider (17), Changeup (12), Cutter (3), Sinker (3), 2-Seamer (3), Curveball (3), Split (1).

tL4DZdV.png

38 Ks, coming from 4-Seamer (13), Slider (10), Changeup (6), Cutter (3), 2-Seamer (2), Curveball (2), Sinker (1), Split (1). 14 on called strikes, 24 from whiffs.

XuEYECK.png

I was mostly curious if he was having more trouble with speed, but I guess he just sucks right now.

I'm still checking his stats every other day out of morbid curiosity and he's showing no signs of turning it around.  

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

Struck out today on a Lance Lynn weak a** cutter.  Didn't know Lynn could throw anything but a fastball. Was also late on a 92 fast ball on outside corner

Some glimmer of hope, Carpenter has flied out to left field twice (today and one of his 0-4 at-bats yesterday).  Maybe he's going to learn to go opposite field to beat the shift. Or, maybe he should practice bunting down third base line. 

per the announcer today: 23 walks 16 hits so far on the season. 900th career game. 

Just got his 17th hit off Magill on a 1-2 count.   Magill must be totally embarrassed to give up a hit to Carpenter  LOL....  He slapped at an 89 changeup that was 6 inches off the plate (outside) to left field.  Not really a line drive, a little blooper between 3b and LF.  Minn had the shift on for Carpenter.

2 hits and a 2 rbi double off a lefty!!! Hopefully you all were sitting down because I just about fell over. 

• Like 1

1 hit, 1 rbi, 2 bb's so far today

not sure about you guys, but i'm just about ready to book a ticket on this hype train

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ramox15 said:

Time to grab him? 

He’s seemed to remember how to hit it oppo again, so it might be worth a shot.