smeeze

Sammy Watkins 2018 Outlook

30 minutes ago, Panthers8912 said:

Don’t wanna quote a huge message but is someone actually trying to argue that they’re moving Watkins around bc they don’t know what do do with him aka he sucks everywhere? That might honestly be the first time I’ve ever heard that take. You do know the Steelers move AB all over the place too, right? Most teams move their WRs around in different packages. Vikings especially did this last year with both thielen and diggs playing slot and outside 

no WR in the history of the game has moved more before the snap than Fitz ... guy is constantly in motion/shifting sides ... seemed to have worked out "OK" for him. 

PS-  and IN before the inevitable "you comparing Sammy to Fitz??1!!1?1!? LOLZ!!1!1!"

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Panthers8912 said:

Don’t wanna quote a huge message but is someone actually trying to argue that they’re moving Watkins around bc they don’t know what do do with him aka he sucks everywhere? That might honestly be the first time I’ve ever heard that take. You do know the Steelers move AB all over the place too, right? Most teams move their WRs around in different packages. Vikings especially did this last year with both thielen and diggs playing slot and outside 

Reid likes alot of misdirection and movement so it makes sense they move watkins around same as they moved kelce and hill around in the formation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Reid likes alot of misdirection and movement so it makes sense they move watkins around same as they moved kelce and hill around in the formation.

I agree.  If anyone has watched the Chiefs the last few years they move everyone around, in order to get favorable match-ups for their players. How many times each game do you see their RB go line up at wideout? It happens a fair bit and that isn't changing with Watkins, or Hill or Hunt.  Hunt will be wideout a number of times a game. They even move Kelce around.

This is a good thing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cohenstantinople said:
The reality is, Sammy Watkins was outstanding in college but has not developed into a high-caliber NFL WR. Yes, he's 25, and in his four years in the NFL Watkins' has only hit 1000 yards once. It's not unlike Davante Parker, though with Parker the sample size is three years. Watkins has missed 12 games in three years, and it feels like more because we keep waiting for him to produce. Last year, he was on a solid offense with a capable QB and he caught 39 passes for 593 yards.

The reality is, Sammy Watkins hasn't been put in a position to succeed, with Tyrod Taylor the Toadmaker as his QB (but people still think Josh Gordon is going to lead the league), and then the broken foot issue that plagued him a couple of seasons ago.  With the Rams, he arrived late to the party, but he still got a share of the balls being spread around by Goff; it's not like he was forgotten entirely.  Cooper Kupp was the team's leading receiver with 62/869/5, Gurley was 2nd with 64/788/6, Woods had 56/781/5, and Watkins carved out a red zone role to the tune of 39/593/8.  Again, Watkins was the downfield threat, averaging 15.2 yards per catch; 1.2 more than the next-highest ypc average.

Now his foot has shown it can get through a season healthy, and he's the #1 WR for a gunslinging QB whose strength is the deep ball.  I'm not saying he's Saquon Barkley or anything, but I'm willing to give him a pass on his history to see what he can do now that he's in the best situation of his career, with four years experience under his belt.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Axe Elf said:

The reality is, Sammy Watkins hasn't been put in a position to succeed, with Tyrod Taylor the Toadmaker as his QB (but people still think Josh Gordon is going to lead the league), and then the broken foot issue that plagued him a couple of seasons ago.  With the Rams, he arrived late to the party, but he still got a share of the balls being spread around by Goff; it's not like he was forgotten entirely.  Cooper Kupp was the team's leading receiver with 62/869/5, Gurley was 2nd with 64/788/6, Woods had 56/781/5, and Watkins carved out a red zone role to the tune of 39/593/8.  Again, Watkins was the downfield threat, averaging 15.2 yards per catch; 1.2 more than the next-highest ypc average.

Now his foot has shown it can get through a season healthy, and he's the #1 WR for a gunslinging QB whose strength is the deep ball.  I'm not saying he's Saquon Barkley or anything, but I'm willing to give him a pass on his history to see what he can do now that he's in the best situation of his career, with four years experience under his belt.

It’s just an interesting take because even if you call him the WR1 in KC it doesn’t take away from the fact there’s a lot of mouths to feed there in KC. So the real question Axe Elf is what will his production be? Does he finish as a WR1 or Wr2? What is his final stat line in terms of yardage receptions and TDs. 

17 minutes ago, boshtrich17 said:

It’s just an interesting take because even if you call him the WR1 in KC it doesn’t take away from the fact there’s a lot of mouths to feed there in KC. So the real question Axe Elf is what will his production be? Does he finish as a WR1 or Wr2? What is his final stat line in terms of yardage receptions and TDs. 

::: shrugs :::

I'm not drafting him to be my WR1 or WR2 or WR3 or WR4.  If I can get him cheap at the end of an auction, great, and if he becomes start-worthy, even better.

Brandin-Funchess-Crabtree-WATKINS are cheap high upside wr's i'm targeting if I go rb heavy

16 minutes ago, Panthers8912 said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/mattwaldman/status/1012044817344421898

thread on how Sammy Watkins is Good 

Would love to see the same type of video analysis focusing on the Watkins errors. I mean, on one hand thanks for posting this, but on the other hand essentially Waldman is taking a dozen Watkins receptions (and one muffed pass) and stating how Watkins is catching the ball or separating or using his hands (even to commit offensive pass interference against Xavier Rhodes, though Waldman doesn’t call it interference). He’s stating the obvious, or he’s even making stuff up, but his voice is so calm and assuring it comes out as authoritative, kinda. A more objective approach would also analyze Watkins’ shortcomings, and that would help to provide a more well rounded picture. Just sayin’.

1 minute ago, dashoe said:

Brandin-Funchess-Crabtree-WATKINS are cheap high upside wr's i'm targeting if I go rb heavy

Well, at least you’ll have Crabtree, so that’s one out of four 

1 minute ago, cohenstantinople said:

Well, at least you’ll have Crabtree, so that’s one out of four 

youre not going to get many high upside cheaper than that group;nobody will be reaching for them

15 minutes ago, dashoe said:

youre not going to get many high upside cheaper than that group;nobody will be reaching for them

I agree on the upside, and if it’s Best Ball, I can see how the quartet will enable you to go RB-heavy and get some serious talent.

But if it’s redraft, there’s a lotta bust potential there, lotta projected inconsistency from week to week. Consider:

Brandin Cooks may do well, or he may fill the Watkins role from last season: field stretcher, third choice in WRs on a run-heavy team.

Funchess may be the first choice in WRs, but he’s on a team projected to use WRs proportionally less than any other team (between 35-50% of Cam’s throws going to the RB/TE combo).

Watkins I don’t know what to make of him. He was so on fire at Clemson, and so not as a pro. As Axe points out earlier here, Watkins has never been in a position to exploit his talent fully. And that may be the case. Watkins was hot and cold with Tyrod, was something of a decoy used on occasion by Goff, and now he’s matched with a long arm in Mahomes. I like the match, but I can’t trust Mahomes, not yet. He’s got little in NFL experience. And the Chiefs also have some pretty serious weaponry, Watkins’ competition. I like the Round 6 draft price, but wouldn’t be surprised if Watkins and Mahomes don’t get rolling until 2019 (Watkins will be 26, Mahomes 24). I’d suggest he’s a buy in dynasty, or even more of a buy if he flops early in the season, but I see his long-range outlook better than his 2018 outlook.

Like Crabtree, though!

• Thanks 1

Interesting that people already feel Watkins is the number 1 WR in KC after Tyreek just put up 1200 yards and 8 tds last year, and now gets a QB with a cannon for an arm...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, JoeJoe88 said:

Interesting that people already feel Watkins is the number 1 WR in KC after Tyreek just put up 1200 yards and 8 tds last year, and now gets a QB with a cannon for an arm...

That's part of the reason.  Watkins is more of a deep threat than Hill is.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Axe Elf said:

That's part of the reason.  Watkins is more of a deep threat than Hill is.

I didn't know there was a better deep threat in the league than Tyreek, no disrespect to Sammy.  4.34 40?  

If Sammy stays healthy, I'm not sure what opposing defenses are supposed to do against KC if Mahomes is as good as advertised.  

2 minutes ago, JoeJoe88 said:

I didn't know there was a better deep threat in the league than Tyreek, no disrespect to Sammy.  4.34 40?  

If Sammy stays healthy, I'm not sure what opposing defenses are supposed to do against KC if Mahomes is as good as advertised.  

Hill catches more short range flank type passes, and then outruns the defense--but Watkins' average depth of target over his career is something like 3 yards higher than Hill's.

1 hour ago, JoeJoe88 said:

Interesting that KC still chose to go ahead and pay Watkins what they did. 

Do you see lots of teams do that when they are content with their top receiver?

(and Watkins is actually a bigger, better deep threat ... I don’t care what Hill ran the 40 in)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

(and Watkins is actually a bigger, better deep threat ... I don’t care what Hill ran the 40 in)

Dont you see what teams do when they are content with rookie salaries and can splurge? They do things like overpay for weapons to surround their red shirt QB.

7 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

I mean, they had to bring in someone opposite Tyreek.  They have Mahomes, Hunt and Tyreek all on cheap deals right now.  Of course they can pay Sammy a backloaded deal.  

Sammy was healthy last year and he didn't do much in LA to move the needle.  I don't care how much bigger Sammy is.  Hill said he didn't either, and then he threw a peace sign.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dashoe said:

Brandin as in cooks? 

Also funchess upside is pretty capped to me as a panthers fan. Think he’ll be a solid guy but I would prefer the higher upside of Watkins 

1 hour ago, dogfightgiggle said:

Tyreek Hill is a better deep threat and offensive chess piece.

Watkins will perform similarly to last year.

You sir are flat out wrong. Sammy is being moved all over the place, the Walrus is gonna feed him. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dogfightgiggle said:

Watkins will perform similarly to last year.

Awesome!  I'll take 8 TDs from a $5 WR.