urban2014

Spencer Ware 2018 Outlook

6 minutes ago, dlionsfan901 said:

So glad to grab this guy if anything just to block off my opponents.  I’m in a PPR, I have Gurley, Aaron Jones, Mixon, and Ware now.  Can only start 3.  What is everyone doing with ware going forward? Just a wait and see or just playing off matchups.  I’m sure other people are in scenarios like mine where they have a long jam at RB.  I’m thinking Ware is a must start this week against OAK.  

My impression this year is that the DEF quality has been a big factor. The big few names seem matchup-proof (Gurley, MGIII, maybe Zeke, Saquon), but almost no one else is. Mixon, Hunt, Conner, Kamara...all do well against bad D's and sometimes poorly against good D's. That's not always the case every year, but it seems to be this year that there are fewer matchup-proof guys. (Honestly, I'd say that Chubb seems to do well across the board too.)

So my take if you have a lot of talent (I do too this year) is for anyone other than Gurley/MGII/Zeke/Saquon to just rate them all even and go by DEF quality.

• Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, Brotherbock said:

My impression this year is that the DEF quality has been a big factor. The big few names seem matchup-proof (Gurley, MGIII, maybe Zeke, Saquon), but almost no one else is. Mixon, Hunt, Conner, Kamara...all do well against bad D's and sometimes poorly against good D's. That's not always the case every year, but it seems to be this year that there are fewer matchup-proof guys. (Honestly, I'd say that Chubb seems to do well across the board too.)

So my take if you have a lot of talent (I do too this year) is for anyone other than Gurley/MGII/Zeke/Saquon to just rate them all even and go by DEF quality.

I'm in a similar situation - I have Barkely, Conner, Chubb & Ware (can only run three, the latter three I all got as FA (beat everyone to the punch)).  I gotta bench Ware even though my gut says he may outscore Chubb this week who's going up against Houston.  There's two ways I think this can go:

1.  Reid heavily features Ware who has the experience, knows the playbook, and uses this Raiders game to establish Ware as the definitive RB1 on the team.

2.  Reid uses a some form of a committee to see what he also has with the other RBs (Williams, one of them or both of them).

I'm like 15% worried about scenario 2.  But that 15% is making go with Chubb even though Chubb has the tougher match-up.  Snap count % will be something I'll be looking for tomorrow.

Edited by Mr Boo
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mr Boo said:

I'm in a similar situation - I have Barkely, Conner, Chubb & Ware (can only run three, the latter three I all got as FA (beat everyone to the punch)).  I gotta bench Ware even though my gut says he may outscore Chubb this week who's going up against Houston.  There's two ways I think this can go:

1.  Reid heavily features Ware who has the experience, knows the playbook, and uses this Raiders game to establish Ware as the definitive RB1 on the team.

2.  Reid uses a some form of a committee to see what he also has with the other RBs (Williams, one of them or both of them).

I'm like 15% worried about scenario 2.  But that 15% is making go with Chubb even though Chubb has the tougher match-up.  Snap count % will be something I'll be looking for tomorrow.

I think that's a good outlook. I'm having my most fortunate year in a long time, and I've made some good moves, so these First World FF Problems interest me :) This week is the final bit of regular season luck, in that I'm up against a guy who's been phoning it in for several weeks now. So I have some luxury to be able to shrug and play really any of them this week. But I will also be watching snap counts and usage. Ware has been the 2 minute/hurry up/occasional passing down guy--I want to see if he keeps that role and gets the first two downs, or if he takes the Hunt role and one of the D Williamses goes to the Ware role. AND I want to see how Chubb does against the 2nd hardest D he's faced as a starter. But very little is actually on the line for me this weekend.

1 hour ago, Mr Boo said:

I wouldn't be too concerned with Ware.  KC has had a long history of back up RB's who had big games when they had their chance.  Kniles Davis, Ware himself, even Hunt was going to be the backup last year to Ware, till Ware got hurt, and that's just who I can think of off the top of my head.  Plus Ware will get usage in both the run and pass game against a lousy Raiders defense.  I would bet Ware puts up RB1 numbers easily, this week and ROS.  Scenario 2 is likely to occur only in the event of injury or being ahead by 30 in the 4th quarter.

41 minutes ago, TennisMenace said:

All Ware owners should relax at least for this week. Ride your new horse with gusto. Giddy-up (I’m not one of them)

Arthur Morgan?

3 hours ago, Brotherbock said:

AK has averaged 25pts against the 3 best teams he’s played in PPR (LAR, Minn, Dallas).

Edited by E-A-G-L-E-S

7 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S said:

AK has averaged 25pts against the 3 best teams he’s played in PPR (LAR, Minn, Dallas).

True enough. But Dallas, Atlanta, Baltimore and Cleveland show him to hardly be matchup-proof. Atlanta got shelled and he got some yards, but a lot scoring output all the same. Dallas, Ravens, and Cleveland played good D in those games and he got (relatively) shut down.

14 minutes ago, Brotherbock said:

True enough. But Dallas, Atlanta, Baltimore and Cleveland show him to hardly be matchup-proof. Atlanta got shelled and he got some yards, but a lot scoring output all the same. Dallas, Ravens, and Cleveland played good D in those games and he got (relatively) shut down.

Fair. Coach got carried away with “The Brees for MVP Showcase” for a little while and he does have a pretty darn good backfield mate.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S said:

Fair. Coach got carried away with “The Brees for MVP Showcase” for a little while and he does have a pretty darn good backfield mate.

All factors, definitely. In my book, Kamara is the next one down from that matchup proof list, I think. Now that Hunt isn't on any list anywhere. 

(Also not sure what happened to my sentence above..."but a lot scoring output"...I don't even know what that part means.)

• Haha 2

I'll qualify by saying I picked him up and am starting him, but I think a lot of people are overthinking this. He's going to be, minimally, a high end rb2 with heavy td upside. People go berserk over guys with far lesser opportunities and it's not like he's unproven; he had success in an offense led by Alex Smith that wasn't anywhere near this. 

Since KC is going to be up big, ware gets 17-20 carries. He’s only 27, been in the system for years and he is a good back. He finds the endzone. He can also catch fairly well. No back behind him is comparable. I’d say 18/92/1 3/25

In comparison, I’m starting ware over AJG. Which you think is easy, but I love AJG lol

Edited by Zekepeak86
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Zekepeak86 said:

Since KC is going to be up big, ware gets 17-20 carries. He’s only 27, been in the system for years and he is a good back. He finds the endzone. He can also catch fairly well. No back behind him is comparable. I’d say 18/92/1 3/25

In comparison, I’m starting ware over AJG. Which you think is easy, but I love AJG lol

I'm starting Ware over Chubb

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

I see a committee here for sure, nothing to get too excited for

Edited by Tomei7
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Tomei7 said:

I see a committee here for sure, nothing to get too excited for

Missed out on him huh

• Haha 5

From Schefters twitter

Spencer Ware will take over today as the Chiefs’ lead RB and Kareem Hunt’s replacement. Only three active RBs have averaged more yards per rush, one of which is the RB that Ware is replacing. More on ESPN’s Sunday NFL Countdown at 9 am ET, including an interview with Hunt.

Edited by Zekepeak86

Ware was the lead back last year before his injury.....

• Like 1

Temper expectations. It’s a range of

8-13 carries/ 32-65 yards/ 2-4 receptions/ .5 TD

if there’s as much garbage time as expected the other two backs will get opportunities.

Edited by DerekQ
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, DerekQ said:

Temper expectations. It’s a range of

8-13 carries/ 32-65 yards/ 2-4 receptions/ .5 TD

if there’s as much garbage time as expected the other two backs will get opportunities.

Agree 100%.  The Chiefs will get up big early, and yes they will be looking to run out the clock.  But they are suddenly very thin at the RB position, and can’t afford for Ware to go down, and his injury history also suggests the need to be VERY careful with him.  He’ll need to get his work in early,  because the second half will be a chance for the Chiefs to see what they have in the Williams duo.

I’m a former Hunt and current Ware owner, and starting Ware.

• Like 1