Sign in to follow this  
cohenstantinople

Nathan Peterman 2018 Outlook

A new era in Buffalo as Tyrod Taylor heads to Cleveland.

The Bills spent a modest Round 5 draft pick in 2017 because they saw something special in Nathan Peterman... and it takes a special talent to throw 5 interceptions in one game... Nathan Peterman has this talent. If we were to rank Peterman's stats based solely on height, Peterman (6'2") is leagues ahead of scrubs like Russell Wilson (5'11") and Drew Brees (6'), begging the question, Can Peterman exceed his career-making game against the Chargers by throwing one pick per foot of his height?

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

A new era in Buffalo as Tyrod Taylor heads to Cleveland.

The Bills spent a modest Round 5 draft pick in 2017 because they saw something special in Nathan Peterman... and it takes a special talent to throw 5 interceptions in one game... Nathan Peterman has this talent. If we were to rank Peterman's stats based solely on height, Peterman (6'2") is leagues ahead of scrubs like Russell Wilson (5'11") and Drew Brees (6'), begging the question, Can Peterman exceed his career-making game against the Chargers by throwing one pick per foot of his height?

giphy.gif

1. He threw those 5 picks in one half (!!!)

2. Pretty sure his pick-six was worse than this highlight (which was pretty bad!)

I just want to say he is an inspiration. As someone who played QB in high school, he made me a firm believer that I could get off my couch and play at the level of a starting QB in the NFL.

Edited by Sternes
  • Haha 5

Peterman actually played pretty well when he had to enter the game against New England after Taylor got hurt.  Nightmare game aside, I think he could make for a decent long-term backup QB.

16 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Peterman actually played pretty well when he had to enter the game against New England after Taylor got hurt.  Nightmare game aside, I think he could make for a decent long-term backup QB.

He’ll be the best backup’s backup ever!

Someday Peterman might graduate to placeholder...

Dude lit it up in preason.... I know preason... Eight 20+ yard passes and a 80.5% completion percentage.  Probably a long shot to ever start but AJ McCarron really isn't that good.

One bad (ok, horrible) half of football and everyone writes off his entire career, as if he's going to throw 10 picks a game every game he plays.  He clearly wasn't ready to start yet.  This is a new season and he's had a year in the NFL.  To me, it's a clean slate.

As a Bills fan I'm hoping he's the starter as there is no need to rush Allen along and yeah, McCarron's not very good.  The Bills probably aren't doing much this year with any of these guys.  Next year they have a ton of cap room and Allen should be good to go at the start of the season.  2019 will be a lot more interesting.

Edited by Dream On
  • Like 2

On 8/30/2018 at 8:32 PM, Dream On said:

One bad (ok, horrible) half of football and everyone writes off his entire career, as if he's going to throw 10 picks a game every game he plays.  He clearly wasn't ready to start yet.  This is a new season and he's had a year in the NFL.  To me, it's a clean slate.

As a Bills fan I'm hoping he's the starter as there is no need to rush Allen along and yeah, McCarron's not very good.  The Bills probably aren't doing much this year with any of these guys.  Next year they have a ton of cap room and Allen should be good to go at the start of the season.  2019 will be a lot more interesting.

Looks like the Bills agree with you. He is going to get the first crack at the musical QB chair for now. 

In a deep 2QB league, he should be a pick up and can be decent. 

4 hours ago, ginocan said:

Looks like the Bills agree with you. He is going to get the first crack at the musical QB chair for now.    

buckle up, folks ...

Image result for the real peterman reality tour

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nate Peterman is trash.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2018 at 11:32 PM, Dream On said:

I agree with you.  It is more an indictment of how dumb the coaching staff was.  Throwing a guy out there who wasn't ready, while pulling Tyrod to prove some bizarre point, and then being forced to turn back to Tyrod.  Reminded me of college, where the coach gets annoyed with his starter in the first game, throws in the backup at the beginning of the 2nd half of the season opener, backup throws a pick in first series, coach immediately goes back to the starter with an additional turnover for the team. 

Peterman didn't look bad in preseason and I'm sure he will get a few shots to make people forget about that one game.

6 hours ago, ginocan said:

In a deep 2QB league, he should be a pick up and can be decent. 

If he’s starting for you even in a 2 QB league you have drafted poorly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sternes said:

I agree with you.  It is more an indictment of how dumb the coaching staff was.  Throwing a guy out there who wasn't ready, while pulling Tyrod to prove some bizarre point, and then being forced to turn back to Tyrod.  Reminded me of college, where the coach gets annoyed with his starter in the first game, throws in the backup at the beginning of the 2nd half of the season opener, backup throws a pick in first series, coach immediately goes back to the starter with an additional turnover for the team. 

Peterman didn't look bad in preseason and I'm sure he will get a few shots to make people forget about that one game.

It was a bad move in hindsight, but on the Buffalo sports talk shows people were pretty split.  There were plenty of logical arguments for making that move (though they had a lot to do with Taylor's ineptitude as a thrower).  And it's a management team that has made a lot of good moves so not sure why they miscalculated so badly with this one.  Hopefully he's ready now and can be better than just a pre-season QB.

3 hours ago, Br0kenB said:

Nate Peterman is trash.

Maybe, but so is the guy in your avatar.

Edited by Dream On

1 hour ago, Dream On said:

It was a bad move in hindsight, but on the Buffalo sports talk shows people were pretty split.  There were plenty of logical arguments for making that move (though they had a lot to do with Taylor's ineptitude as a thrower).  And it's a management team that has made a lot of good moves so not sure why they miscalculated so badly with this one.  Hopefully he's ready now and can be better than just a pre-season QB.

Maybe, but so is the guy in your avatar.

Ya don't say! Every QB the Bills have had since 98 has been hot trash. It's a meme.

37 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

Does everyone think that he's worth a bench spot in a 2 qb league?

well in my 2 qb dynasty i only have 2 starters so he will be on my bench 

unlikely he lasts till week 9 when i need him though 

the one thing i will give this guy is that he will throw the ball downfield 

13 minutes ago, Flyers_28 said:

well in my 2 qb dynasty i only have 2 starters so he will be on my bench 

unlikely he lasts till week 9 when i need him though 

the one thing i will give this guy is that he will throw the ball downfield 

So, with the Bills being as bad as it projects, even if Peterman isn't great, I assume that he will be chucking it all day long (when not being sacked) in catch up mode. Got to be good for Benjamin junk time stats right?

3 minutes ago, fourlees said:

So, with the Bills being as bad as it projects, even if Peterman isn't great, I assume that he will be chucking it all day long (when not being sacked) in catch up mode. Got to be good for Benjamin junk time stats right?

i think benjamin could do alright who else do they have ? kerley ? 

and ya he did throw 5 picks last time he started but to blame him for all 5 isn't fair 

I think Clay might be a better bet than Benjamin; Peterman struggles to drive the balls on those comeback/sideline routes that Benjamin is pretty good at running.

I'd honestly just avoid the entire situation.

On 8/30/2018 at 9:11 PM, JoeJoe88 said:

McCarron is playing the whole game tonight, and he looks pretty awful.  Take that how you will.

WELCOME TO OAKLAND

25 minutes ago, Br0kenB said:

Peterman struggles to drive the balls on those comeback/sideline routes that Benjamin is pretty good at running.

I'd honestly just avoid the entire situation.

No he doesn't... he gets rid of the ball quickly and makes some pretty decent throws, including a lot of comeback and sideline route as evidenced by the TD throw at the end of this clip. The Peterman everyone saw last season is NOT the Peterman of 2017. I'm not saying he's the next Peyton Manning or anywhere close, but I'm pretty sure everyone will be surprised about how solid he is.

Lots of people picking Buffalo as a dumpster fire this season are going to be disappointed. 

I wouldn't be shocked to see them win at the Ravens week 1, and win 8+ games this year. 

Edited by AirForceOne
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AirForceOne said:

No he doesn't... he gets rid of the ball quickly and makes some pretty decent throws, including a lot of comeback and sideline route as evidenced by the TD throw at the end of this clip. The Peterman everyone saw last season is NOT the Peterman of 2017. I'm not saying he's the next Peyton Manning or anywhere close, but I'm pretty sure everyone will be surprised about how solid he is.

Lots of people picking Buffalo as a dumpster fire this season are going to be disappointed. 

I wouldn't be shocked to see them win at the Ravens week 1, and win 8+ games this year.

Yes, he does. It's the #1 knock on him. He can't drive the ball at all on a consistent basis. He is accurate, but he is just a touch slow in anticipating those sorts of moves by the wide receivers. Everyone here knows it and talks about it. Accurate? Yes. Quick release? Yes. But he does not have the arm talent and anticipation of a good NFL quarterback.

Peterman crushed the preseason last year as well. And we all know how that turned out. The Bills defense will keep them in games, but Peterman isn't going to bring them back when they fall down by more than a touchdown.

Edited by Br0kenB

49 minutes ago, Br0kenB said:

Yes, he does. It's the #1 knock on him. He can't drive the ball at all on a consistent basis. He is accurate, but he is just a touch slow in anticipating those sorts of moves by the wide receivers. Everyone here knows it and talks about it. Accurate? Yes. Quick release? Yes. But he does not have the arm talent and anticipation of a good NFL quarterback.

Peterman crushed the preseason last year as well. And we all know how that turned out. The Bills defense will keep them in games, but Peterman isn't going to bring them back when they fall down by more than a touchdown.

Maybe not consistently before this season, but it's pretty obvious he can make those throws. He seems to have made some improvements to his game based on what he's shown so far. Lots of QBs have deficiencies -- Peterman is no exception -- but my point is that even if he gets Buffalo off to a hot start, he'll never get the credit he deserves after face-planting last season.