DrVos12

Willy Adames - SS TB

Recommended Posts

Kind of like Franklin Barreto, I feel like people have stopped caring about this guy right before he could have a real chance in the majors.   He's off to a great start this spring and has a MILB career OBP of .365.  Definitely not the sexiest prospect out there, but I feel like his floor is quite high.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He might not have elite upside (wouldn’t rule it out either ), but he’s very underrated. Getting to triple a and producing at 21 in an organization that slows guys down is impressive. At the least I’d expect him to me an mi option in 12 teamers during his prime with potential to be a top 10 as some years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone at Fangraphs said his stat line could look like Xander Bogaerts.  Being with the Rays it might take him forever to reach the majors though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

any chance he gets called up this year?

Will most likely get called up after the trade deadline. He will probably get about 50-55 games.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grand slam yesterday.   Absolutely crushed a no doubter.  Just his first HR of the season so hopefully this gets him going.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, seaton0024 said:

Any chance he plays 2nd or will he stick at SS?

He is close now, think they would have moved him already if he wasn't coming up as a SS.

 

oh yeah, he hit for the cycle tonight.  He looks to be going now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think this kid is being slept on. Killing it in AAA so far and already hit for the cycle a few days ago. Always thought he was smaller given his power projections but I can definitely see him hitting 20+ in the majors eventually. He has OK speed but hasn't had the best SB rate. I think Lindor the prospect is a good comp for him right now which has me pretty intrigued. Obviously doesn't mean he'll turn into what Lindor has become but I think there's a possibility he could follow in his footsteps. 

The Rays really stink so there won't be much protection for him but I'm all over any promising SS prospect. Should also be able to stay at the position because the guy is a stud in the field. 

Seemingly no one is interested in this guy in my leagues which is a little surprising to me. Glad to take a shot on him and he should be called up sooner than later. Guy looks like a hitter. 

From Scott White of CBS:

Willy Adames, SS, Rays

2017 minors: .277 BA (506 AB), 10 HR, 11 SB, .776 OPS, 65 BB, 132 K 

2018 minors: .355 BA (62 AB), 2 HR, 2 SB, 1.035 OPS, 12 BB, 14 K  

"Willy Adames hasn't gotten much call-up buzz yet, but he's repeating Triple-A this season and acing it so far. It's shaping up to be a what-are-you-waiting-for situation, especially since Adames is the Rays' top prospect and their lineup's weakest link just so happens to be the position he plays. For a prospect of his stature -- and most every publication had him in its top 25 the past two years -- he hasn't put up huge numbers in the minors but is already looking more patient and powerful with this opportunity to repeat a level. And seeing as he hit .302 with eight homers and an .845 OPS over his final 82 games last year, I was a little surprised he didn't get the call then."

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I took the plunge a couple of days ago. Anybody with SS eligibility that has a chance to be decent is worth a shot. I think Adames meets that criteria. I also think he will be up sooner than later because they dont have any legitimate bats  in the infield beside of Cron. If his defense is as good as it has been touted he should have no problem supplanting Hechavarria.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DannyMcPot said:

Think this kid is being slept on. Killing it in AAA so far and already hit for the cycle a few days ago. Always thought he was smaller given his power projections but I can definitely see him hitting 20+ in the majors eventually. He has OK speed but hasn't had the best SB rate. I think Lindor the prospect is a good comp for him right now which has me pretty intrigued. Obviously doesn't mean he'll turn into what Lindor has become but I think there's a possibility he could follow in his footsteps. 

The Rays really stink so there won't be much protection for him but I'm all over any promising SS prospect. Should also be able to stay at the position because the guy is a stud in the field. 

Seemingly no one is interested in this guy in my leagues which is a little surprising to me. Glad to take a shot on him and he should be called up sooner than later. Guy looks like a hitter. 

From Scott White of CBS:

Willy Adames, SS, Rays

2017 minors: .277 BA (506 AB), 10 HR, 11 SB, .776 OPS, 65 BB, 132 K 

2018 minors: .355 BA (62 AB), 2 HR, 2 SB, 1.035 OPS, 12 BB, 14 K  

"Willy Adames hasn't gotten much call-up buzz yet, but he's repeating Triple-A this season and acing it so far. It's shaping up to be a what-are-you-waiting-for situation, especially since Adames is the Rays' top prospect and their lineup's weakest link just so happens to be the position he plays. For a prospect of his stature -- and most every publication had him in its top 25 the past two years -- he hasn't put up huge numbers in the minors but is already looking more patient and powerful with this opportunity to repeat a level. And seeing as he hit .302 with eight homers and an .845 OPS over his final 82 games last year, I was a little surprised he didn't get the call then."

 

I couldn't agree more. I have been thinking the exact thing this season with Adames. He definitely seems to have some prospect fatigue going for him in leagues, there wasn't a ton of interest in him in mine either. I decided to go after him because I watched some videos of his swing and he has a sick stroke. He is a much bigger dude than I imagined too. I can see him growing into his frame (which might eventually kick him to 3rd base) and developing some 20+ home run power for sure. He runs some too and might mix in 12-15 stolen bases. 

 

I think he is polished enough both offensively & defensively to be up with the Rays ASAP. I think he is someone that is going to come onto the scene and surprise like Lindor. I am not comparing him to Francisco, I just think he's a young dude still growing into has body and has underrated counting number ability. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dirtywater97 said:

I think he has more of Bogaerts profile, but definitely the least hyped up best performer of the minors for sure.

 

Absolutely. I see the Xander comp for sure. Most likely a little less in the average department, counting stats (specifically power/speed) I can see being very similar. I was just referring to the limited fantasy potential some saw in Lindor coming up, and how I believe Adames in falling into a similar bin. Lindor showed more speed than Adames has, but Lindor had a max of 11 home runs in one season down there. He then of course popped off for 30+ last season in the bigs. I can see Adames growing into some unannounced power. 

 

I feel like most people expected Xander to grow into an elite fantasy SS throughout his prospect rankings.  Maybe it that was just me. Again though, I think the Xander comp is right on point. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he just suffers from being on Tampa. If he was on the Yankees or Boston, he would be owned in 30-40% of leagues already. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DannyMcPot said:

I think he just suffers from being on Tampa. If he was on the Yankees or Boston, he would be owned in 30-40% of leagues already. 

 

What's even more interesting about this comment. When I saw his swing, I thought it looked a lot like young Arod. I am not saying he is even a similar range of that dude. Adames is a little smaller version (6'/200) of the monster Arod was (6'3/220). But I thought the swing was like pretty looking. 

 

I am on board with this stud. I am almost glad his Rays ugliness has made him available to me. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, LarryDavid said:

What's even more interesting about this comment. When I saw his swing, I thought it looked a lot like young Arod. I am not saying he is even a similar range of that dude. Adames is a little smaller version (6'/200) of the monster Arod was (6'3/220). But I thought the swing was like pretty looking. 

I am on board with this stud. I am almost glad his Rays ugliness has made him available to me. 

I could maybe see some similarities. I think Adames has a more lofty swing than Arod's but regardless of who his swing comps to, it's definitely a power stroke. I think if he puts everything together we're looking at 25 bombs with a chance for 30 in his career year. Couple that with around a .270 avg and throw in 8-15 steals..... That's basically Lindor. And Adames is actually slightly bigger than Lindor and has shown a bit more power in the minors. Even if he comps closer to Bogaerts, how is this guy only owned in 3% of Yahoo leagues? 

Again, if anyone is seeing something I'm not here, please chime in cause I think he's being slept on hard. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DannyMcPot said:

I could maybe see some similarities. I think Adames has a more lofty swing than Arod's but regardless of who his swing comps to, it's definitely a power stroke. I think if he puts everything together we're looking at 25 bombs with a chance for 30 in his career year. Couple that with around a .270 avg and throw in 8-15 steals..... That's basically Lindor. And Adames is actually slightly bigger than Lindor and has shown a bit more power in the minors. Even if he comps closer to Bogaerts, how is this guy only owned in 3% of Yahoo leagues? 

Again, if anyone is seeing something I'm not here, please chime in cause I think he's being slept on hard. 

 

I agree with all the above. I do however think it is a little stretch to say he's being slept on hard. He is the #22 overall prospect at MLB.com. I know their rankings are suppose to be more real life ball player than fantasy, but that is still pretty high. I think he will show out better than most currently listed above him and totally agree the overall profile is underrated. The years it already seems like he has been at least ranked & the Rays factor no doubt has the hype real low. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, LarryDavid said:

I agree with all the above. I do however think it is a little stretch to say he's being slept on hard. He is the #22 overall prospect at MLB.com. 

That's exactly my point though, he's virtually unowned across fantasy leagues despite being rated so highly on MLB lists and the only thing I can think of is because he's on a bad team. As far as prospects go he reminds me of Lindor and Gleyber with perhaps a lesser hit tool. I also think a lot of people haven't really watched him much and just assumed he was a smaller, slap hitting SS like I did lol 

Edited by DannyMcPot
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was listening to Ralph Lif****z compare Adames to Gleyber with the only real difference being the plate approach. He also said he thinks Adames should be in the majors already and is faster & and a better athlete than Gleyber which I found very interesting. Lif****z actually goes to scout these guys at games so I particularly value his input and rankings. 

The censoring of his name is hilaaaarious ?

Edited by DannyMcPot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Legitimate chance of a promotion this month?  Lost Corey Seager for the year and picked up Semien to replace him.  If I were to pick up Adames relatively soon would he be a solid bet to outproduce Semien once a promotion occurs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Magnus88 said:

Legitimate chance of a promotion this month?  Lost Corey Seager for the year and picked up Semien to replace him.  If I were to pick up Adames relatively soon would he be a solid bet to outproduce Semien once a promotion occurs?

 

Given that its the Rays, I think its most likely that he's miraculously ready between June 1-7 (Super-2).

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I absolutely love this kid. He was the center piece of the David Price trade by Tampa. Ever since then I've kept a close eye on him and feel he's been underrated. 

 

Looking at his numbers he is hitting 41% to opposite field this year after hovering around the 20s mostly. This feels to me like they have him purposely working on his opposite field hitting before he gets called up, which I like a lot. It will only help him succeed quickly once he gets the call. He seems to be steadily developed, not rushed, and set up for success. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's pretty stupid he wasn't in the majors last year. 

 

I'm stashing Wander Franco in one dynasty, hopefully he's up before the end of the next decade. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2018 at 10:49 PM, Magnus88 said:

Legitimate chance of a promotion this month?  Lost Corey Seager for the year and picked up Semien to replace him.  If I were to pick up Adames relatively soon would he be a solid bet to outproduce Semien once a promotion occurs?

Right there with you.. I'm rolling with significantly worse options and really need a SS...  I'm thinking of picking up Adames in late may anticipating the early June call.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm considering picking him up and stashing him in my keeper league even though I only have 1 NA spot (taken up by Juan Soto).  I can survive with one less bench spot for a while.  I think the only issue with Adames right now is how long Hechavarria sticks around.  He's a FA after the season, so a trade wouldn't be a surprise, but it's a matter of when.  It'd be surprising if they called up Adames before then, but there's almost always a need for a SS (at least for me), so hopefully the wait would be over well before the trade deadline.

Edited by KilloWertz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...