Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DrVos12

Willy Adames - SS TB

31 minutes ago, benturn22 said:

how has this guy not been called up yet?

Tampa Bay and money...

Adames is now hitting .350 over his last 10 albeit with no HR's or SB's & more K's than he usually has but fact remains...he should be in Tampa by now.

The Super 2 rule is hurting the game & I can't believe the Player's Association won't address it when the next bargaining time comes. It makes no sense, fans hate it, it's bad for players, it hurts the game, stalls the better prospects from reaching the bigs & it's so arbitrary..they're guessing as to when the S2 deadline is so they keep them on the farm even longer just to make sure. I hate it. 

2 hours ago, SmallBallz said:

Adames is now hitting .350 over his last 10 albeit with no HR's or SB's & more K's than he usually has but fact remains...he should be in Tampa by now.

The Super 2 rule is hurting the game & I can't believe the Player's Association won't address it when the next bargaining time comes. It makes no sense, fans hate it, it's bad for players, it hurts the game, stalls the better prospects from reaching the bigs & it's so arbitrary..they're guessing as to when the S2 deadline is so they keep them on the farm even longer just to make sure. I hate it. 

Do the minor league players have a say in the collective bargaining agreement? Assumption here, but the Super 2 is protecting older players that I assume have a majority of the say in the Player's Association. I agree that its a problem, but I can easily believe why it's not being addressed by the Player's association.

25 minutes ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

Do the minor league players have a say in the collective bargaining agreement? Assumption here, but the Super 2 is protecting older players that I assume have a majority of the say in the Player's Association. I agree that its a problem, but I can easily believe why it's not being addressed by the Player's association.

i had this exact same question.. seems like typical union promotion. the older guys try to protect their status and by proxy hurt the younger guys, limiting their ability to takeover/advance, even when it's obviously the best course of action.

edit: the more i think about it, this is such a great question. what obligation does the MLBPA have for betterment of the game? their entire focus is on protecting the current players/members, and not promoting the best on-the-field product, right? the owners would probably be a better avenue to promote a remedy to this issue, but only under the assumption that their monetary ties are loosened in regards to calling up prospects. the owners [should] want to promote the best product, and not be forced to keep older vets who aren't the most exciting to watch, or even the best players on the team.

2 hours ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

1 hour ago, osb_tensor said:

i had this exact same question.. seems like typical union promotion. the older guys try to protect their status and by proxy hurt the younger guys, limiting their ability to takeover/advance, even when it's obviously the best course of action.

edit: the more i think about it, this is such a great question. what obligation does the MLBPA have for betterment of the game? their entire focus is on protecting the current players/members, and not promoting the best on-the-field product, right? the owners would probably be a better avenue to promote a remedy to this issue, but only under the assumption that their monetary ties are loosened in regards to calling up prospects. the owners [should] want to promote the best product, and not be forced to keep older vets who aren't the most exciting to watch, or even the best players on the team.

I honestly hadn't thought of it from the older player's perspective...I imagine that's my tunnel vision of seeing it from the fan point of view. @osb_tensor is right....it's a great question. I would think the MLBPA would represent the best interests for ALL players, whether they be in the minors or already in MLB.

As I understand it, when a player gets paid, a portion is automatically taken out to pay for MLBPA dues but no clue if that's also the case for those in minor leagues. If it's just MLB paychecks that fund MLBPA and only MLB players make up the leadership within MLBPA, of course the system for promotion (and thus, pushing out of aging or injured vets) would be slanted against up-and-comers & for veteran players. 

As for owners, they are likely only interested in the P&L for the most part - GM's, scouts & agents would be far more interested in the product on the field as a good product gives them job security. I'm sure most owners want the best on-field product as well but teams like Pittsburgh (pre-Neil Huntington era) or Milwaukee (throughout Bud Selig era) have shown many to put below-average at best teams on the field via ridiculously low payroll figures & still be profitable. They were both essentially MLB-level farm systems for the rest of the league for a long time. 

5 hours ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

3 hours ago, SmallBallz said:

I honestly hadn't thought of it from the older player's perspective...I imagine that's my tunnel vision of seeing it from the fan point of view. @osb_tensor is right....it's a great question. I would think the MLBPA would represent the best interests for ALL players, whether they be in the minors or already in MLB.

As I understand it, when a player gets paid, a portion is automatically taken out to pay for MLBPA dues but no clue if that's also the case for those in minor leagues. If it's just MLB paychecks that fund MLBPA and only MLB players make up the leadership within MLBPA, of course the system for promotion (and thus, pushing out of aging or injured vets) would be slanted against up-and-comers & for veteran players. 

As for owners, they are likely only interested in the P&L for the most part - GM's, scouts & agents would be far more interested in the product on the field as a good product gives them job security. I'm sure most owners want the best on-field product as well but teams like Pittsburgh (pre-Neil Huntington era) or Milwaukee (throughout Bud Selig era) have shown many to put below-average at best teams on the field via ridiculously low payroll figures & still be profitable. They were both essentially MLB-level farm systems for the rest of the league for a long time. 

From the MLBPA website:

For those of you who may be unfamiliar with the MLBPA, we are the union that represents all players on clubs' 40-man rosters. We are among the strongest unions in the United States because generations of players dating back to the early '60s have taken an active interest in their livelihoods and the game that they love.

it appears they only start representing players once they are on the 40 man roster.

As Rotowire/ESPN pointed out, the Rays still might not call up Adames even if Hechavarria ends up on the DL because of the Super 2 status that probably isn't until sometime next month.   Obviously it wouldn't hurt to grab Adames anyways if you have the room, but who knows what they will do.

3 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

As Rotowire/ESPN pointed out, the Rays still might not call up Adames even if Hechavarria ends up on the DL because of the Super 2 status that probably isn't until sometime next month.   Obviously it wouldn't hurt to grab Adames anyways if you have the room, but who knows what they will do.

no shot Hes coming up until after that date has passed whenever it is IMO

18 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

I have no problem manipulating service time for the April 15th deadline.  But screwing around with a potential impact prospect for super two status is pathetic.

Once Adames is promoted what would a realistic second half stat line look like?  340 OBP, eight homers and half a dozen steals?  Semien isn't an overly intriguing Shortstop for me.  So would love if Adames could be the next Ozzie Albies and be a spark plug right away.

On 5/18/2018 at 9:13 PM, Magnus88 said:

I have no problem manipulating service time for the April 15th deadline.  But screwing around with a potential impact prospect for super two status is pathetic.

Once Adames is promoted what would a realistic second half stat line look like?  340 OBP, eight homers and half a dozen steals?  Semien isn't an overly intriguing Shortstop for me.  So would love if Adames could be the next Ozzie Albies and be a spark plug right away.

Expecting anyone to do what Albies is doing is unrealistic. 

Given the injuries at MI this year I'd be thrilled if he can do what Semien is doing this year in deeper leagues. 

I just snagged him in my 16 team league, excited to see what he does now that he's gotten the call!

13 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Expecting anyone to do what Albies is doing is unrealistic. 

Given the injuries at MI this year I'd be thrilled if he can do what Semien is doing this year in deeper leagues. 

Semien is elite with runs scored, above average with home runs and solid with stolen bases.  Bad with OBP though.

With Adames I'm expecting a much better OBP and similar stolen bases totals.  Lineup placement will determine RBI's and runs scored.

On 5/18/2018 at 9:25 AM, kmoore1521 said:

no shot Hes coming up until after that date has passed whenever it is IMO

welp..............F me right

5 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

welp..............F me right

Any experts on how super two works? Once he is called up is it over or can they send him back down and manipulate service time through 2018 to maintain it?

43 minutes ago, mudrummer said:

Any experts on how super two works? Once he is called up is it over or can they send him back down and manipulate service time through 2018 to maintain it?

Cash already said he's going back down when Wendle returns. Lol the rays.