SpecialFNK

Kenta Maeda 2018 Outlook

looks to be in the rotation for the Dodgers again this season.

this from CBS..

Kenta Maeda improved slightly upon his strong strikeout and walk rates from his rookie season, but he missed time due to injury and was relegated to the bullpen on a couple of occasions. The Dodgers were also conservative in his starts, limiting Maeda's exposure to opposing lineups -- Maeda threw more than five innings just seven times all year, which led to a 40-inning drop in regular-season workload. Maeda throws five different pitches and he mixes them reasonably well, but he induced fewer swings on pitches out of the strike zone overall (29.9 percent O-Swing rate), struggled on the road (5.62 ERA) and continued to run into trouble against lefties (.263/.322/.458). Perhaps the biggest thing working against Maeda in fantasy is the fact that the Dodgers have evolved past the "workhorse" mentality, instead using the 10-day DL to rotate guys and keep them fresh. The skills are solid, but Maeda's workload will likely be capped once again.

even last year when he had 4.22 ERA he still had 1.15 WHIP.

as mentioned above he was bad on the road, but he was great at home with 2.88 ERA and 0.99 WHIP.

Posted (edited)

The workload's questionable, but he's going at a place where no one or virtually no one is a consistent workhorse, and I really like the stuff. The SwStr% was really underrated in his first year, and while his ERA suffered in the second, those K's finally showed up. Who knows if he can put it all together or not, but the K's are fairly legitimate when you consider the Whiffs Maeda gets. Pay for 140 good innings, just not 180 good innings. 

Edited by taobball

I was really high on him last year - and he got off to a really bad start.  I think his ERA through April was in the 6's and even May was not much better.  Had a pretty good stretch through the summer.   He made 25 starts and went into the 6th inning only 4 times.  His home/road splits are putrid.  Sub 3ERA at Chavez Ravine and then 5+ on the road.  I think he is probably best for some sort of weekly/daily match ups, preferably ones that do not use true Quality Starts as a category since you need to get through the 6th, which he didnt do much.  Traditional categories, head to head, use him at home.  In a roto with no lineup subs, Im staying away this year.  

Imagine the dividends this guy would pay if that coward Roberts would let him pitch at least 6 innings. 

• Like 1

He winced when he swung on his last at bat, and was trying to keep his back stretched out. No reason to push him in his first start of the season.

Posted (edited)

Edited by phatrat
Coolest of stories removed

Went the pick before I was taking him in 3-4 drafts it seemed. He's going to have a huge year

This dude has the makings of a superstar written all over him. 

Kenta Maeda could work out of the bullpen for the remainder of this week.

It sounds like his next turn might be skipped because there is a rainout possibly looming Friday in San Francisco and the Dodgers want to pitch Clayton Kershaw on standard rest Sunday against the Giants. Maeda worked five shutout innings in his regular-season debut last Saturday night.

• Confused 1

why wouldn't they move or skip Ryu ... he ain't good

If he can't keep a spot in the rotation, he'll be a drop in a lot of standard leagues. I really had highish hopes too.

• Like 1

He's always had the making of a solid mid-rotation arm, and the uptick in velocity this year makes him even more intriguing.  The concerns are related to health, and the fact that the Dodgers don't seem to allow him to pitch deep into games consistently.  As long as he is healthy though, I would pencil him in as the third best starter in that rotation, arguably above Hill.  

Any further thoughts on Maeda?  He had another bad outing yesterday but his numbers are actually still good.  Lots of K's at least.  I was able to pick him up off waivers with the last waiver spot and he has 2-starts.  Was shocked and glad to get him.  Dropped Vince Velazquez for him  since I already have enough starters for next week, I don't need his 2 starts.

1 hour ago, MrBrown said:

Any further thoughts on Maeda?  He had another bad outing yesterday but his numbers are actually still good.  Lots of K's at least.  I was able to pick him up off waivers with the last waiver spot and he has 2-starts.  Was shocked and glad to get him.  Dropped Vince Velazquez for him  since I already have enough starters for next week, I don't need his 2 starts.

not sure how hes not owned in any league bigger than 10 teams...he had 10 ks yesterday

and its always tough for a starter when hes bounced back and forth between bulpen

i think hes a must own for now

Posted (edited)

I think he was close to having a much better line last night, to me it seemed he made a couple/few key mistakes between pitch selection and location. Could've had 12-13 K's and less ER's IMO. So hoping he cleans up some of that going forward (e.g. throwing a FB up in the zone in pitcher's counts - 2 strike counts, instead of something down in the zone, or breaking ball down). He had Hedges 0-2 and threw a FB up and Hedges easily poked a line drive into the outfield. Just one example I recall.

Edited by Members_Only_76
  • Like 2

A little WHIP'y last night but another solid QS for Kenta in the ND.  His blowup against Arizona is the only blip so far.  Adding lots of value as SP 5/6 for a lot of us.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Damn Yankee said:

A little WHIP'y last night but another solid QS for Kenta in the ND.  His blowup against Arizona is the only blip so far.  Adding lots of value as SP 5/6 for a lot of us.

A little WHIPy? It was 0.83 last night, can't ask for more than that

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

A little WHIPy? It was 0.83 last night, can't ask for more than that

You're right...I didn't see the game and read his 1.48 WHIP as last nights stat versus his overall stat.  Would have loved the win against the Marlins but everything else was solid.

1. Can I trust him today @ SD? trying to keep ratios down. 

I wasn't paying attention and looking at the lineup thinking this game was in SD, but it's not. this game is being played in Mexico.

too late to think about changing this sit/start now.

8 hours ago, pjoner said:
  1. Can I trust him today @ SD? trying to keep ratios down. 

Anyone can have a bad game, but if you're not starting him in this matchup, you probably shouldn't own him.