SpecialFNK

Kenta Maeda 2018 Outlook

10 hours ago, osb_tensor said:

thank goodness there's only one park that's more hitter friendly. (coors)

i agree that he didn't look good, but those warning track shots are less fearsome almost anywhere else.

Huh?  Dodgers stadium is a pitcher's park.  3rd best pitcher's park this year according to ESPN's park factors:

27 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

Huh?  Dodgers stadium is a pitcher's park.  3rd best pitcher's park this year according to ESPN's park factors:

Yeah man, you're so right. I thought they were in Texas. 100% wrong on my part. 

14 hours ago, osb_tensor said:

Yeah man, you're so right. I thought they were in Texas. 100% wrong on my part. 

Man, if the game had been in Texas, Maeda would have gotten totally shelled.  There were at least 3 fly balls caught at that wall that would have been homeruns in Texas.  Someone looking at the box score and seeing only 2 ER might not understand just how bad Maeda looked last night.  He was literally missing zero bats and even the outs were getting hit hard, and this was against an average at best Rangers offense.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Anyone still holding after today? 

Yes.  At least one more.  First start back didn't look right,  and the cubs are tough.  If he's healthy it'll get better.  

Holding for sure.  Talented pitcher with a quality track record, albeit a short one.  Has been sloppy off the DL.  If he bombs against the Mets, may be time to throw in the towel.  Staying patient as is, however.  Was rolling prior to DL stint (admittedly with some sweet matchups) and just have to hope he gets back there.

On 6/19/2018 at 3:08 PM, Members_Only_76 said:

He’s good against the Marlins

Tough call on whether to start Maeda on Sunday against the Mets.  Maeda has sucked since coming off the DL and quite honestly has been a really mediocre MLB pitcher ever since a great April in 2016 when hitters hadn't seen him before.  But the Mets offense also really sucks.  Thoughts?

5 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

Tough call on whether to start Maeda on Sunday against the Mets.  Maeda has sucked since coming off the DL and quite honestly has been a really mediocre MLB pitcher ever since a great April in 2016 when hitters hadn't seen him before.  But the Mets offense also really sucks.  Thoughts?

I'm starting and clenching.

17 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

I'm starting and clenching.

Are we ever sure that maeda is running on Sunday?  Probable pitchers for LA lists kershaw on Saturday and then hill on Sunday 

Edited by afgolfman666

1 minute ago, afgolfman666 said:

Are we ever sure that maeda is running on Sunday?  Probable pitchers for LA lists kershaw on Saturday and then hill on Sunday 

Well, not sure. Maeda started before Hill this week, so I would think he's next in line, but who knows it's the Dodgers.

2 minutes ago, afgolfman666 said:

I guess they could flip-flop Hill and Maeda since they both started the same day for the doubleheader.

If Maeda is going against the Cubs on Monday instead of the Mets on Sunday, I'm benching him for sure in the easiest decision of my life.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, afgolfman666 said:

Good call, you were right.  Looks like Hill on Sunday vs. the Mets and Maeda vs the Cubs.  Whether to start him vs the Mets would have been a hard decision (I probably would have because as bad as Maeda has looked recently, the Mets have looked even worse recently), but vs the Cubs is an easy bench.

I'm seriously thinking about dropping Maeda.  After a brilliant April 2016 when batters hadn't seen him before, Maeda has been a really really mediocre pitcher ever since.  He seems like a very low upside guy that at best is going to be slightly above waiver wire caliber and not anyone that would come back to haunt you if you dropped.

I know it won't be for another few weeks at least, but it also seems like a good chance Maeda will head back to the bullpen once Ryu returns too.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Can’t figure him out. But hope he keeps doing what he did tonight. 

I was totally wrong about benching him vs the Cubs NL-best offense.  I'll probably roll the dice and take him off my DL spot and start him Saturday against the Rockies.  The Rockies lineup away from Coors doesn't really scare me that much, aside from Arenado.

I still wonder who are going to be the two out once Buehler and Ryu return next month.  The Dodgers really have a glut of starting pitchers.  Of course, all of them are so injury prone that there's probably a good chance someone else will be hurt by the time Buehler and Ryu return.

Maybe this will come back and bite me, but I'm taking Maeda off my DL spot finally and starting him vs. the Rockies tonight.  The Rockies lineup away from Coors doesn't really scare me other than Arenado (I know that's a big "other than").

yea im starting. madea sub 3 era at home and threw a gem vs col this year already 12 k's 0 runs 6.2 inn 0.90 whip

career numbers vs col are elite as well (38 inn, 48 k's, 2.11 era, 0.89 whip, 095 baa)

• Like 1

coming off a great outing vs the cubs, im starting at home vs rockies as well

So what are the thoughts on Maeda going forward? As a whole, his ERA is nice, but his walks need to drop to get his WHIP back down. If he can get his bb/9 back to his 2016-17 level, his WHIP will get back to his 2016-17 level, as well. 

inconsistent. and will he go back to pen? kind of a tough luck outing last time vs. COL. Has Angels this week and I'm benching for other options. See how it goes from there...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Members_Only_76 said:

inconsistent. and will he go back to pen? kind of a tough luck outing last time vs. COL. Has Angels this week and I'm benching for other options. See how it goes from there...

Not sure what you mean there.

1 minute ago, Flyman75 said:

Not sure what you mean there.

He struck out Arenado and catcher dropped the ball and they called a wild pitch, runner on 3rd scores and Arenado goes to 1st. Sometimes things like that just throw off the game flow. Anyway, also had no run support.

I just went back to look and even CBS called it a tough luck loss. Could have been a 1-2 ER outing with a Win and 9 K's. And if grandma had wheels she'd be a wagon.

Anyway, I like him. Probably a solid SP4 in 12 team leagues. But the Dodgers drive me nuts, and if Maeda is "off" on any given day he's pretty hittable and subject to blow ups (I guess that's most pitchers though).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

He struck out Arenado and catcher dropped the ball and they called a wild pitch, runner on 3rd scores and Arenado goes to 1st. Sometimes things like that just throw off the game flow. Anyway, also had no run support.

I just went back to look and even CBS called it a tough luck loss. Could have been a 1-2 ER outing with a Win and 9 K's. And if grandma had wheels she'd be a wagon.

Anyway, I like him. Probably a solid SP4 in 12 team leagues. But the Dodgers drive me nuts, and if Maeda is "off" on any given day he's pretty hittable and subject to blow ups (I guess that's most pitchers though).

Oh I see...tough luck loss because of no run support. It was just a 2 ER outing, which is what confused me. I didn't see the game, so judging by the boxscore, it looked like a solid outing (7ip, 2er, 5h, 2bb, 9k). 

1 minute ago, Flyman75 said:

Oh I see...tough luck loss because of no run support. It was just a 2 ER outing, which is what confused me. I didn't see the game, so judging by the boxscore, it looked like a solid outing (7ip, 2er, 5h, 2bb, 9k). 

I didn't mean it was a "bad" outing. Very frustrating to watch and you have to wonder how stupid plays like that affect a pitcher mentally and....butterfly effect. ;)

Any who. I may try to deal him because....Dodgers.

• Like 1