SpecialFNK

Kenta Maeda 2018 Outlook

Just now, BMcP said:

He pulled him!

What the heck is the point of letting him bat, wasting a prime scoring opportunity, and then taking him after facing 2 more batters (1 out, 1 hit)?  Definitely does not seem worth it letting him bat.

• Like 2

Just now, FootballFan101 said:

What the heck is the point of letting him bat, wasting a prime scoring opportunity, and then taking him after facing 2 more batters (1 out, 1 hit)?  Definitely does not seem worth it letting him bat.

None, really - trying to preserve the pen, perhaps?

1 hour ago, FootballFan101 said:

Roberts is such a bad manager.  Top of the 6th inning, Dodgers have a runner at 3rd one out with Maeda's spot due up, a prime opportunity to pinch hit, get an insurance run with Maeda having already thrown 90 pitches and having well-documented struggles the 3rd time through the order.  Instead Roberts lets Maeda bat, he pops out, and the Dodgers don't score a run and now sends an exhausted Maeda out to start the 6th and likely blow up in the 6th.  When will Roberts ever learn?

For Maeda to have a small chance at being a useful pitcher, fantasy or MLB, he needs to be carefully managed and this has been the exact opposite. Only myself to blame for owning a Dodger pitcher though. It’s Maedening!!!! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FootballFan101 said:

Roberts is such a bad manager.  Top of the 6th inning, Dodgers have a runner at 3rd one out with Maeda's spot due up, a prime opportunity to pinch hit, get an insurance run with Maeda having already thrown 90 pitches and having well-documented struggles the 3rd time through the order.  Instead Roberts lets Maeda bat, he pops out, and the Dodgers don't score a run and now sends an exhausted Maeda out to start the 6th and likely blow up in the 6th.  When will Roberts ever learn?

Saves the bullpen if he lets Meada pitch the sixth which letting him bat for himself hopefully does. An inning here or there adds up over the course of the season. Dodger announcers had no problem with the move and said it wasn't the first time Roberts had done this. Dodgers are deep in SP not so much in the BP this year.

Just looked strange though

9 hours ago, Low and Away said:

Saves the bullpen if he lets Meada pitch the sixth which letting him bat for himself hopefully does. An inning here or there adds up over the course of the season. Dodger announcers had no problem with the move and said it wasn't the first time Roberts had done this. Dodgers are deep in SP not so much in the BP this year.

Just looked strange though

It would be pretty rare for home team broadcasters to come out and criticize their own manager, so the fact that they didn't means nothing to me.  Wasting a prime scoring opportunity to save the bullpen from having to get 1 extra out makes absolutely no sense.  Certainly, the move didn't work out and I think it would be fair to pin this loss on Roberts.

On 8/11/2018 at 11:08 PM, craigmack said:

New closer after what just went down in Colorado?

I hope so

Or after what went (again) last night?! Come on...I don't watch a ton of LAD baseball but Roberts really leaves a lot to be desired in a skip.

has anyone else cut him? any change he gets back in the rotation? I am starting to prepare for playoffs and could use the roster spot to pick someone up who actually starts...

I think Maeda's a safe drop, but he's also probably first in line to start if someone gets hurt, so be ready to pick him up if like, Rich Hill pops a blister or something

1 hour ago, Rhandome said:

I think Maeda's a safe drop, but he's also probably first in line to start if someone gets hurt, so be ready to pick him up if like, Rich Hill pops a blister or something

Stripling would be first up I think. My guess is Maeda is the closer in a few weeks if Kenley keeps looking unhealthy

Edited by cad300

2 hours ago, cad300 said:

Stripling would be first up I think. My guess is Maeda is the closer in a few weeks if Kenley keeps looking unhealthy

There's been a lot of speculation that Maeda could close but I dunno, he's been a SP his whole career,would they just hand him the closer job? I think at best he'd be part of a committee.

4 hours ago, Rhandome said:

There's been a lot of speculation that Maeda could close but I dunno, he's been a SP his whole career,would they just hand him the closer job? I think at best he'd be part of a committee.

Hmmm.. yeah, have you seen these other dudes in this LAD pen?? He's far and away the best thing they have going in their bullpen.