TheGreatest42

Middle Relievers 2018 Outlook

Aside from researching leaders from the previous season, how do you prepare for your draft in Holds or Saves/Holds leagues?  Do you have any players in particular you're targeting for Holds in 2018?

3 minutes ago, TheGreatest42 said:

Aside from researching leaders from the previous season, how do you prepare for your draft in Holds or Saves/Holds leagues?  Do you have any players in particular you're targeting for Holds in 2018?

Just happened to be on closermonkey, who also has a ranking for holds. http://closermonkey.com/

• Like 3

This will be the first year my league adds holds, so it is a little new to me. My first inclination is to look at guys who are next in line to close. I assume they will be put into pressure situations if they maybe looked at to finish games. 

I also look for guys with good K rates with solid ERA and WHIP. If then don't get a ton of holds they help in other categories, but most likely they will get chances. Guys like Chad Green and David Robertson (although the Yanks BP is so stacked holds will be spread around), Josh Hader, Andrew Miller, Carl Edwards Jr, Addison Reed, 

• Like 2

I've been playing in leagues with holds for years now. It's a very sporadic cat for most RP's. I usually try to focus on relief pitchers with good ratios and good k rates. Even if they go some time without a hold, they will go on a streak or streaks at some point where they get you quite a few. Patience is key with this category. But you've got to work on it all year long. If you wait until June to start focusing on it, it's very hard to catch back up, especially if you've got a guy or two in the league who's been paying attention. 

• Like 2

I love saves and holds.

Draft on skill and position in the bullpen.

Elite closers still have more value than elite set up men because they tend to get more saves than the latter gets holds. That is about it. 

I will add some nice targets tomorrow, my draft prep sheet is on my work computer haha

• Like 6

Never invest in anyone until the tail end of your draft / minimal auction money. Not worth it, so many guys you can find on the wire during the season who were irrelevant the year before.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

I've been playing in leagues with holds for years now. It's a very sporadic cat for most RP's. I usually try to focus on relief pitchers with good ratios and good k rates. Even if they go some time without a hold, they will go on a streak or streaks at some point where they get you quite a few. Patience is key with this category. But you've got to work on it all year long. If you wait until June to start focusing on it, it's very hard to catch back up, especially if you've got a guy or two in the league who's been paying attention. 

Completely agree.  Here are some top guys right now that will get you holds plus are elite in the K/9, ERA and WHIP category:

Dellin Betances
Chris Devenski
CJ Edwards
Andrew Miller

Josh Fields

I also like Barraclough, Hader and Minter this season.   Closermonkey.com is definitely a great site to use to keep updated on this type of information throughout the season.

• Like 2

Thanks for the help, all!  This Closermonkey article is great.  And, yes, I always hold out until my last 1-2 picks for Holds guys.  My league actually has separate cats for Saves and Holds (not combined).  

4 hours ago, Dirtywater97 said:

Never invest in anyone until the tail end of your draft / minimal auction money. Not worth it, so many guys you can find on the wire during the season who were irrelevant the year before.

In Saves+Holds too?

I was just looking at this the other day.  Using Fangraphs' Depth Chart Projections, I sorted out the guys projected for 10 or more Holds and then sorted by K/BB and came up with this list.  By no means is it perfect, but it outlines some guys to look at further.  

Chad Green
Andrew Miller
Pat Neshek
Ryan Madson
Tommy Hunter
Chris Devenski
Anthony Swarzak
Tyler Lyons
Yusmeiro Petit
Blake Parker
Ross Stripling
Will Harris
Kirby Yates
Joe Smith
Liam Hendriks
Addison Reed
Nate Jones
David Robertson
Dellin Betances
Brett Cecil
Michael Feliz
Trevor Hildenberger
A.J. Minter
Archie Bradley
Jake McGee
Juan Nicasio
Mychal Givens
Keone Kela
Pedro Baez
Phil Maton
Dan Otero
Sergio Romo
Nick Vincent
Justin Wilson
Tommy Kahnle
Paul Sewald
David Hernandez
Nick Goody
Danny Barnes
Andrew Kittredge
David Phelps
Josh Hader
Koda Glover
Enny Romero
Taylor Rogers
Joe Kelly
Bryan Shaw
Jimmie Sherfy
Boone Logan
Matt Albers
Dominic Leone

• Like 9

On 3/11/2018 at 10:22 AM, 2ndCitySox said:

I love saves and holds.

Draft on skill and position in the bullpen.

Elite closers still have more value than elite set up men because they tend to get more saves than the latter gets holds. That is about it. 

I will add some nice targets tomorrow, my draft prep sheet is on my work computer haha

Ok, here are some MR I think you could get on the cheap for a saves and holds league :  the loser of the Bradley/hirano duel, Carl Edwards, AJ Minter. Dominic Leone, Barraclough. 

On 3/11/2018 at 5:56 PM, Dirtywater97 said:

Even more so than just saves.

Truth. If an elite reliever randomly fell a couple rounds I would grab, but you can easily wait to draft whoever and then find some gems during the season. If your league is super aggressive it might be worth investing in relievers earlier, but if not, just let them come to you.

6 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Ok, here are some MR I think you could get on the cheap for a saves and holds league :  the loser of the Bradley/hirano duel, Carl Edwards, AJ Minter. Dominic Leone, Barraclough. 

All of these guys should be owned in all saves / holds leagues and none are cheap except maybe minter.

Edwards was one of most expensive MR in my auction draft.

Minter is hyped up, price is sky high atm. Even D. Leone is geting some hype.

C. Smith, Cishek, N. Jones, Diekman or Petit are dirty cheap.

Younger guns like Maton, Sherfy or Middelton are going for minimum price.

4 hours ago, El_Chingon said:

All of these guys should be owned in all saves / holds leagues and none are cheap except maybe minter.

Ok fair enough. I will dig deeper. There just usually isnt much need to draft sleeper middle relievers because you can probably just add them during the season. But, I will try harder!

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, WatchMeWHIP said:

Where is the holds ranking on here? Not seeing it. 

It was on the top that day I posted. Just search “holds” in their search bar and it’ll come up.

If you're in a league that counts saves and holds, invest in the elite setup guys and just win holds every week. You can generally get them near the end of your draft without worry.

You can add Archie Bradley to the Devinski/Miller list.

Hader/Edwards/Minter are the other 3 I would try to grab.

• Like 1

Really trying to work the math on the elite middle guy vs a back end starter.  Obviously the ratios would favor the elite guy, but we do QS+Wins - so starter has everytime out chance to grab two of those but they are backside starters how many QS or wins will they get?  Anyone been successful in standard sized league 9 pitchers with middle guys?