brockpapersizer

Pete Alonso 1b NYM

FYI ALonso came in at #82 on Baseball America's updated Top 100 list that was released today. Not easy for a 1B only prospect to get on these lists, especially a RH 1B

• Like 2

I am convinced in order for Alonso to be recalled it is going to have to take an injury with Gonzalez and a starting outfielder.  An injury to a starting outfielder would move Bruce off 1B and back to the outfield.  Similar to what happened with Soto and the Nats.  It took numerous injuries for him to be recalled.

I am holding but not counting on him before September.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, B&F said:

I am convinced in order for Alonso to be recalled it is going to have to take an injury with Gonzalez and a starting outfielder.  An injury to a starting outfielder would move Bruce off 1B and back to the outfield.  Similar to what happened with Soto and the Nats.  It took numerous injuries for him to be recalled.

I am holding but not counting on him before September.

Alonso would be a nice RH bat at 1B to platoon early on until he takes over for good. 

Wilmer Flores is hurt right now and usually platoons at 1B with AGon. but has not distinguished himself this year.

Anytime after Super Two is a possibility and maybe around the All Star break might be realistic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

Alonso would be a nice RH bat at 1B to platoon early on until he takes over for good. 

Wilmer Flores is hurt right now and usually platoons at 1B with AGon. but has not distinguished himself this year.

Anytime after Super Two is a possibility and maybe around the All Star break might be realistic.

You may be right, but it'd almost be better if they waited to call him up until he actually can play everyday.  There would be weeks where he would hardly play at all being on that side of a platoon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nope, let’s start Plawecki at 1b. 

That’s happening tonight. Smh 

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

I doubt they bring up Alonso just to hit lefties. 

Hmmm, I think somebody just said that about an hour before you... ;)

Anyways, it's the Mets.  Alonso is good, but they made everybody wait forever on Rosario, and he was a Top 10 prospect.  Even if they didn't do that sort of a thing, he wouldn't have been called up yet because of his Super 2 status.  I don't agree with that whole thing, but I can at least understand why they would wait that long.  This is the Mets though, and even though it makes little sense to wait longer than his Super 2 status, they very well might.

Maybe he needs to work on his stretches at 1B or maybe he needs a better bat flip before they'll promote him.  Or maybe the front office is just worried their wives will fall in love with Alonso's sexy stasche.

Edited by KilloWertz

18 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Hmmm, I think somebody just said that about an hour before you... ;)

Yep  I'm agreeing with you, not claiming I'm the originator of a very  obvious take ?

I just really don't see the point of service time here. The market for a offense only first basemen isn't super high. I know Hosmer got a ton, but I think a lesson teams are learning and will learn very soon is not to pay these guys because there's always a matt Adams, Reynolds, or duda time that costs very little.

Sadly I think he's probably not up until Super 2 at the very earliest with a decent chance it won't be until next year.

He's going to be a stud though 

I was really hoping the Mets would keep doing well because it might put them in position to trade Alonso for help down the stretch, and he could get to a better fantasy situation. Doesn't look like that's happening though. I'm not really expecting to see him up this year.

3 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Yep  I'm agreeing with you, not claiming I'm the originator of a very  obvious take ?

I just really don't see the point of service time here. The market for a offense only first basemen isn't super high. I know Hosmer got a ton, but I think a lesson teams are learning and will learn very soon is not to pay these guys because there's always a matt Adams, Reynolds, or duda time that costs very little.

Sadly I think he's probably not up until Super 2 at the very earliest with a decent chance it won't be until next year.

He's going to be a stud though 

You're not wrong, but it's the Mets, and most of what they do isn't logical.

I would gladly pick him up now since my one NA spot we have in my keeper league is pretty much open right now, but given that it's the Mets, I fear I might be just clogging it up for a good portion of this season.

Of course he will be.  It's automatic with that stasche.  Oh, wait, you meant... :D

15 minutes ago, SpartyOn4 said:

I was really hoping the Mets would keep doing well because it might put them in position to trade Alonso for help down the stretch, and he could get to a better fantasy situation. Doesn't look like that's happening though. I'm not really expecting to see him up this year.

The Mets are not a contender this year and have a weak farm system. The chances they would trade away one of their few highly regarded prospects for a run at a WC spot is virtually zero...then again this is the Mets so you never know. 

Reasons for optimism for a recall.

• Mets dead last in OPS vs left handed pitchers at .591.  The second lowest is .671.  Dreadful.  
  • Playing first base last night Kevin Plawecki went 0-5 with 2 errors and is batting a little above .200.   Batting cleanup today.   
  • It looks like Wilmer Flores might be out for an extended period.
  • One run in 14 innings last night.

It might come down to whether management believes they can contend this season.  If they believe they can Alonso will likely be up sooner than later.  If not probably not until September.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, B&F said:

It might come down to whether management believes they can contend this season.  If they believe they can Alonso will likely be up sooner than later.  If not probably not until September.

I’m not sure the Mets should allow Sandy to be in charge of another rebuild if they decide to go into trade mode.  Omar is lingering and supposedly in charge of scouting prospects for the upcoming draft.  Clearly not something Sandy should feel comfortable with.

I could see Sandy bringing Alonso up and helping right the ship against lefties with a chance to earn at bats against righties.  If he isn’t getting enough AB’s, he could get sent back down.  Happens to lots of young guys the shuttle thing up and down.  Might also pay dividends.

I just think Sandy is desperate to keep this team in contention for the wild card game making him gamble on bringing Alonso up sooner rather than waiting.

42 minutes ago, B&F said:

Reasons for optimism for a recall.

• Mets dead last in OPS vs left handed pitchers at .591.  The second lowest is .671.  Dreadful.  
  • Playing first base last night Kevin Plawecki went 0-5 with 2 errors and is batting a little above .200.   Batting cleanup today.   
  • It looks like Wilmer Flores might be out for an extended period.
  • One run in 14 innings last night.

According to the RW blurb, Flores is actually back soon.  It's atrocious that they have allowed Plawecki to start at 1B.  He can't hit, let alone field for the position.

https://metsmerizedonline.com/2018/06/alonso-has-eclipsed-smith-as-mets-first-baseman-of-the-future.html/

A good read if you have Peter Alonso in your sights down the road highlighted by this blurb:

The thing about Peter Alonso’s impressive hitting this season is that it’s not in a hitter-friendly league at all. Playing in Double-A Binghamton, Alonso has destroyed opposing pitchers to the tune of a .316/.453/.596 slash line with 15 home runs, 46 RBIs, and a 1.049 OPS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not that there's anything wrong with posting these articles, as they are good reasons, but if only he played for somebody other than the Mets (or Toronto)...

https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/mets-should-consider-calling-up-peter-alonso-soon/280203582

Alderson has worried as recently as last season that promoting a top prospect when the team is in dire need could set that prospect up for failure -- since some would view him unfairly as a savior.

In the case of Alonso, he seems self-aware and confident enough to not let a media and/or or fan-driven false narrative hurt him.

Calling Alonso up for the start of the Subway Series against the Yankees on Friday might be a bit crazy (though I'd still do it). But the more measured decision would be to have him join the team next Tuesday, when they begin a 10-game road trip in Atlanta or soon after. And it's something that the Mets should seriously consider. 

"Alderson has worried as recently as last season that promoting a top prospect when the team is in dire need could set that prospect up for failure -- since some would view him unfairly as a savior."

this seems asinine to me. If you team is scuffling and needs a boost to get back on track and maybe salvage the season, then why not promote? If the prospect in question has any sort of self-worth he would see that his team values his skills and should be honored to try to get them back on track. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

Maybe he's just saying that as an excuse for service time issues.

Hope that is the case.  Then we should seem him right after Super 2.  I could see Gonzolaz being DFA.  The Mets offense is a joke right now.

2 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

"Alderson has worried as recently as last season that promoting a top prospect when the team is in dire need could set that prospect up for failure -- since some would view him unfairly as a savior."

this seems asinine to me. If you team is scuffling and needs a boost to get back on track and maybe salvage the season, then why not promote? If the prospect in question has any sort of self-worth he would see that his team values his skills and should be honored to try to get them back on track. 

The first mistake is trying to make any sense or logic out of what Alderson says.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Maybe he's just saying that as an excuse for service time issues.

Better be.  Otherwise he's an even bigger idiot than we ever imagined, especially since that could apply to literally every single player that ever got or will get called up to the majors.  You could be hitting 50-50 with 49 HR's and you'd still technically have a chance of failing in the majors.

16 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

Better be.  Otherwise he's an even bigger idiot than we ever imagined, especially since that could apply to literally every single player that ever got or will get called up to the majors.  You could be hitting 50-50 with 49 HR's and you'd still technically have a chance of failing in the majors.

Also, why Pick anyone in the first round then? Don’t want to put too much pressure on them! If we are awful, and Pick someone first overall, our fans might think he’ll be good! 

• Like 2

On 6/8/2018 at 6:37 PM, B&F said:

Hope that is the case.  Then we should seem him right after Super 2.  I could see Gonzolaz being DFA.  The Mets offense is a joke right now.

They've scored 21 runs in their last 10 games, scoring 0 or 1 in six of those games. They are unbelievably bad right now. 

Image result for we're all dumber

• Like 2
  • Haha 1