brockpapersizer

Peter Alonso 1b NYM

Might as well discuss another rh 1b

He could be up.... THIS year. One thing that stands out to me is that he’s a good contact hitter along with the power, he might not be a drag on batting average. Plenty of risk too, but I’ve had my eye on him for a while and there isn't a ton standing in his way at first. He's going  to need to improve his defense and splits, but he's been pretty successful so far. Baseball America had a really good $ article on him last year that talked about having a good swing.

Curious as to others thoughts. He's very under the radar in prospect and fantasy prospect circles, that could change quickly with a hot start... Which I personally expect.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Peter Alonso has out hit many prospects who get more acclaim than him.  I've seen 0 footage on him but his stats haven't disappointed at any rung on his climb through the minors so far. 

His NCAA stats alone make me wonder why he went so late in the draft (64th overall in 2016) to begin with as Alonso was statistically superior to Senzel in college.  As well as other fellow first round college hitters that year such as Corey Ray (drafted 5th as scouts loved his speed) and Matt Thasis (16th).

Keep in mind though Adrian Gonzalez is signed through the year.  Mets if out of it probably try to find a buyer at the deadline for him though.

Been on my list since last summer. In Scoresheet NL league and he is one I will scoop up unless something changes this spring.

2 hours ago, FouLLine said:

Keep in mind though Adrian Gonzalez is signed through the year 

I wont and you can't make me.

Based on the past couple years he seems done. 

apparently his glove at first base is so poor that there are concerns that he will ever be able to hack it defensively in the big leagues

grabbed him everywhere, thanks again for the tout (along with Gallardo's Top 100 list)

If his defence is so bad it is clear they will trade him to the AL for a nice piece

Roster clogged with prospects I'll gladly welcome a 30 plus homer power 1b

from BP Mets

1B PETER ALONSO

A former 2nd round pick in the 2016 draft, Alonso had a terrific 2017 at the dish but failed to answer lingering questions about his defense and conditioning. Alonso hit .289/.359/.524 across two levels last year, spending 82 games with High-A Port St. Lucie before finishing the season with Double-A Binghamton for 11 games. In our own Jeffrey Paternostro’s and the BP prospect staff’s ranking of the organizations top 10 prospects, Alonso found himself ranked seventh due to the combination of hit and power potential he possesses.

After a bad first inning strikeout in which he swung and missed at two consecutive 89 mph fastballs up in the zone, Alonso reached base in all three of his remaining at-bats. The hit tool was as advertised, as I saw Alonso take a two-strike fastball down and away over the right fielder’s head for an RBI double in his third at-bat. I was impressed with Alonso’s bat-to-ball skills; he gets his bat to the ball quickly, which allows him an extra sliver of a second to see the incoming pitch. In the field, Alonso did little to answer the defensive questions that have surrounded him since college. On one hand, he made an impressive play looking a runner back to third on a hard hit grounder with the infield in. On the other, he had a lot of trouble with a routine pop out in foul territory, taking a bad route to it and almost dropping it. I don’t think the defense was bad enough that he can’t field his position adequately, but there’s no denying it’s below league average. With his approach and power potential, Alonso looks like he fits the everyday first basemen profile at the dish.

• Like 1

i will say this - door's open for him after dom smith's issues the last 18 months

On 3/12/2018 at 12:15 PM, brockpapersizer said:

Might as well discuss another rh 1b

He could be up.... THIS year. One thing that stands out to me is that he’s a good contact hitter along with the power, he might not be a drag on batting average. Plenty of risk too, but I’ve had my eye on him for a while and there isn't a ton standing in his way at first. He's going  to need to improve his defense and splits, but he's been pretty successful so far. Baseball America had a really good $ article on him last year that talked about having a good swing.

Curious as to others thoughts. He's very under the radar in prospect and fantasy prospect circles, that could change quickly with a hot start... Which I personally expect.

Hey @brockpapersizer, where did you see he could come up this year? I couldn't find anything online. Also, wouldn't Dominic Smith get the first shot?

23 minutes ago, Fantasy Dork said:

Hey @brockpapersizer, where did you see he could come up this year? I couldn't find anything online. Also, wouldn't Dominic Smith get the first shot?

Oh it’s certainly  speculation on my part. I think there’s a non zero chances he mashes his way up and they aren’t getting production from 1b or have injuries.

Also the point was certainly to emphasize he’s not a guy you’ll have to wait on for years. Most likely next year though.

Not a bad start to the season in AA:

.370 .469 .815 1.284  
  • Like 2

backhanded compliment? Alonso is the new Rhys Hoskins confirmed.

Erik: Hoskins never “figured it out” though, did he? He could always hit, there’s just always skepticism about first basemen, even if they’re hitting. Is there a next Hoskins in the minors somewhere? Someone who has hit and continued to hit but is still for some reason not very high on lists?

12:35
Eric A Longenhagen: Yeah I agree Hoskins was just good and it took us too long to buy in because r/r 1b don’t make it and Reading kept everyone skeptical for a little while longer than it does with other hitters. The next guy who could mirror that is Peter Alonso, I guess.
  • Like 3

Yeah I rostered Hoskins in dynasty starting in his big AA breakout season and everything about Alonso feels similar. Righty 1B have very little margin for error so the bust risk is high but so is the upside.

• Like 1

Goodbye Domonic Smith, it was nice knowing you

Just picked him up. Seeing shades of Hoskins from last year.