brockpapersizer

Peter Alonso 1b NYM

On 6/8/2018 at 5:58 PM, brockpapersizer said:

Maybe he's just saying that as an excuse for service time issues.

I think you nailed it right here.     

Same for Vlad and Eloy and some of the other deserving players stuck in the minors due to this whole dopey Super Two thing.

13 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

Per the RW blurb, Mets not likely to call up Alonso in September.  Why not you ask?  Well, it must be all the juicy other options the Mets have.  Why would they want to give their first baseman of the future a reward for his amazing season?  Why would they want to give him an opportunity to show case himself in advance of the off-season?  Why?  Because it's the Mets, that's why!

Comical. I bet that logjam at first base clears up sometime around the 3rd or 4th week of April next year.

• Like 2

Why, if you’re the mets, would you call him up? Some of these posts are clueless. 

I know, right. Why have any integrity?

4 hours ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

I think you nailed it right here.     

Same for Vlad and Eloy and some of the other deserving players stuck in the minors due to this whole dopey Super Two thing.

They are not being held down for super 2. The Super 2 date passed already this summer. Its just years of control..

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, zingzing said:

Why, if you’re the mets, would you call him up? Some of these posts are clueless. 

Hey, the pot's calling, um, it's for you!

Please explain why they would not call him up?  I'm really interested in your logic.

Edited by BigPapi44
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

Hey, the pot's calling, um, it's for you!

Please explain why they would not call him up?  I'm really interested in your logic.

Because by waiting 3 weeks into next April they gain another year of control over him. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

Per the RW blurb, Mets not likely to call up Alonso in September.  Why not you ask?  Well, it must be all the juicy other options the Mets have.  Why would they want to give their first baseman of the future a reward for his amazing season?  Why would they want to give him an opportunity to show case himself in advance of the off-season?  Why?  Because it's the Mets, that's why!

It's a business decision for the long term benefit of the franchise and a wise one at that. 

Same goes for Kopech, Eloy and Vlad

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bigbossman said:

It's a business decision for the long term benefit of the franchise and a wise one at that. 

Same goes for Kopech, Eloy and Vlad

Exactly.  It's unfortunate and something the players need to try very hard to eliminate whenever they have to negotiate the next CBA, but there unfortunately really is no reason to bring Alonso up before early next season with the current rules.  I know all of us what him up for fantasy, and I'm sure Mets fans want him up to, but it makes a lot of sense from a business perspective.

Not sure if you were confused or just surprised by my Sherlock response to an earlier post of your's, btw.  Was just pointing out that you were stating the obvious. :)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, garlando said:

Between that and a positive 1.8 Fielding Runs Above Average grade at both AA and AAA, I think we are moving past him being a DH prospect only. He's plenty fine at 1st and one of the best slugging prospects in the minors.

Oh, and he hit another HR yesterday and is now up to 324/.387/.714 with 10 HRs last 26 games at AAA (post-all-star break).

Came here to post this. Glad to see it. Now maybe the Mets will...nope, can’t do it. 

• Like 3

No matter what he does the Mets seem firm on their plan to bring him up 2 weeks in April to get the year of control. What is unusual is the Mets pitchers they kept DeGrom, Wheeler, Thor would seem to put them in at least improve now mode. Instead their pitching is a contender their hitting just plain stinks. For a big market team the Mets sure don't appear to try. 

The primary issue here would appear to be the fact that calling Alonso up would require adding him to the 40 man roster.  He is exempt from the Rule 5 Draft in December.  If he is added to the 40 man roster the Mets lose the opportunity to put a player on the 40 man roster who would be exposed to the Rule 5 Draft.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Betsy Helfand of the Review Journal reports that the Mets will recall Dominic Smith on Sunday.

smh

Is this Service time bullsh*t?  

8 hours ago, B&F said:

Is this Service time bullsh*t?  

Probably, but it could be just regular Mets incompetence. 

For those of us Alonso owners, nice to see the competition failing miserably.  From tonight's game:

NEW YORK (AP) Brandon Crawford's potential inning-ending popup in the 13th was dropped when Mets left fielder Dominic Smith plowed into shortstop Amed Rosario, giving the San Francisco Giants a 2-1 win over New York on Monday night.

The Giants had runners at first and third and two outs when Crawford lifted a high pop. Rosario ranged into shallow left field, waved off Smith and was in position for a routine catch.

But the bulky Smith, who more often plays first base, came charging in and barged into Rosario. The ball ticked off Rosario's glove and fell to the ground, and Andrew McCutchen scored on a botched play scored as an error on Smith.

• Haha 2

Nothing against Smith obviously since none of this is his fault, but it's nice to see the Mets fail because of him.  Especially since they put out a little league caliber lineup tonight to try to back Wheeler and couldn't.  And also glad Rosario didn't get hurt since he's actually been doing really good lately.