steve9347

Marco Gonzales 2018 Outlook

Yes, it was the Rays but..0 BB's. Also, this was the 2nd time the Rays have seen him in a week.

Folks will bemoan the 3 ks but 5 hits in 7.1 IP is superb and it would have been even more superber if Colome hadnt left a meatball in the zone which tacked on an extra run for Marco. Regardless, solid outing.

Next up...LAA at home and then @NYY and @BOS. Should be a good test for him.

I think he has a few things going for him.  

He has a little bit of Josh Hader in his windup where it is difficult to pick up the baseball.  Couple that with a cutter that is tough to square up and he is tough to hit.  

Not leaving my rotation until a blowup or two.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, B&F said:

I think he has a few things going for him.  

He has a little bit of Josh Hader in his windup where it is difficult to pick up the baseball.  Couple that with a cutter that is tough to square up and he is tough to hit.  

Not leaving my rotation until a blowup or two.

Even @NYY and @BOS? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, taobball said:

Even @NYY and @BOS? 

Sure.  Covey and Boyd just shut down the Red Sox in Boston. 

Fiers recently pitched well against NYY (though it was at home).

Gonzales has been one of the better pitchers for a month.

18 minutes ago, B&F said:

Sure.  Covey and Boyd just shut down the Red Sox in Boston. 

Fiers recently pitched well against NYY (though it was at home).

Gonzales has been one of the better pitchers for a month.

That’s not strong logic. This is what led people to start Buehler at Colorado (one other guy just had success there!).

I own Gonzales. Been super happy with him. But as an owner what we’re doing is predicting what will happen. Searching for anecdotal evidence doesn’t help. Gonzales COULD have a good outing against either or both. But odds suggest he won’t. And I’m always looking to limit damage. 

All that said, H2H is a different beast. Some people start everyone in hopes of Ks and Ws. And worst case his numbers are all erased the following Monday. In roto, any damage stays with you all year. He’s got a firm seat on the bench in roto as my 6th/7th SP, and I’ll continue to deploy him based on matchups.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

That’s not strong logic. This is what led people to start Buehler at Colorado (one other guy just had success there!).

I own Gonzales. Been super happy with him. But as an owner what we’re doing is predicting what will happen. Searching for anecdotal evidence doesn’t help. Gonzales COULD have a good outing against either or both. But odds suggest he won’t. And I’m always looking to limit damage. 

All that said, H2H is a different beast. Some people start everyone in hopes of Ks and Ws. And worst case his numbers are all erased the following Monday. In roto, any damage stays with you all year. He’s got a firm seat on the bench in roto as my 6th/7th SP, and I’ll continue to deploy him based on matchups.

To build, I specifically like to get pitchers like Marco with a couple of my last picks because I like pitchers who are more reliable / less likely to be their own worst enemies because it allows me to pick the starts with a bit more accuracy. I get guys like Marco anticipating never playing them against teams of this nature. 

I like Marco, but those two starts are a potential death sentence. I'd expect a pitcher like Marco (and I mean most pitchers, but perhaps more correlated) to have pretty strong splits between good and bad teams. It's not crazy to say I'd avoid those two giants at home. 

So think we have to pitch him tonight don't we? Just don't pitch to Trout, Marco. Id be happy with 3BBs there.

• Like 1

Lock and load! His ERA and FIP are nearly identical at 3.28 and 3.33 - pretty good!. Pitching in Seattle. Not sure what else you want unless you're in a 6-team league and don't have to take even the smallest of chances.

• Like 1

looking ahead to next week.. getting 2 starts vs redsox and yanks. going to be a tough call to sit or start. pitcherlist says bench..rotoworld says it's a decent play

7 minutes ago, ghostdragon said:

looking ahead to next week.. getting 2 starts vs redsox and yanks. going to be a tough call to sit or start. pitcherlist says bench..rotoworld says it's a decent play

Both on the road. Two top lineups, and Yankee Stadium and Fenway are both hitters parks. I’ll be sitting these out.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Both on the road. Two top lineups, and Yankee Stadium and Fenway are both hitters parks. I’ll be sitting these out.

Yeah I need to scramble for a replacement SP. That's a high percentage of negative points. 

2 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

You'd have to be in a H2H league that heavily weighed Innings Pitched somehow (i.e., points or just volume stats) to make it a conversation. 

• Like 1

Anyone brave enough to start him tonight?  I am going to roll the dice.  German is a wild card.  Pitching matchup favors Seattle so I am going to see what happens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, B&F said:

Anyone brave enough to start him tonight?  I am going to roll the dice.  German is a wild card.  Pitching matchup favors Seattle so I am going to see what happens.

You're a very brave man. No way in hell would I even think about starting him. I think its one of those things where the risk far outweighs the potential reward. 

Posted (edited)

[Removed Cool Story] I'm rolling him out. 

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

1 hour ago, DidiFan said:

You're a very brave man. No way in hell would I even think about starting him. I think its one of those things where the risk far outweighs the potential reward. 

Tru dat.  He could be blown up.

Although I could see the Yankee sluggers being impatient with Gonzo's changeup and there could be a lot of slow rollers to the left side.    

• Like 1

I know everyone wishes this guy struck out more batters but ...

Spin: Gonzales was hit on the calf by a comebacker clocked at 97 mph and he was able to soldier on. He became the 10th pitcher in franchise history to post at least 10 wins before the All-Star break. He currently ranks 12th in the American League in ERA (3.41), 16th in the AL in innings pitched (113 1/3) and 13th in AL in WHIP (1.16). He has emerged as a must-start fantasy option after years of bouncing back and forth between the bigs and minors.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/7480/marco-gonzales

Lots of yummy match ups with LAA, TEX, and OAK

besides a few hiccups against the best 2 teams in majors, he has been pretty damn good. not enough talk about him. think he keeps it up? 

1 hour ago, floppy said:

besides a few hiccups against the best 2 teams in majors, he has been pretty damn good. not enough talk about him. think he keeps it up? 

Concern is innings limit.  Scott Servais alluded to this.

Bad outing in Texas last time out. How does everyone feel about him tonight @OAK. Some good RH power in that lineup so I'm on the fence about it. He's had one good one bad start against them so far this year. 

1 minute ago, DidiFan said:

Bad outing in Texas last time out. How does everyone feel about him tonight @OAK. Some good RH power in that lineup so I'm on the fence about it. He's had one good one bad start against them so far this year. 

I had been starting him most of the season.

I don't normally evaluate a pitcher based on an afternoon start in the Texas heat but I think he is tired.  Not that he relies on velocity but it is down about 1 tick from earlier this season.  He didn't pitch well the game before at home against Toronto either.  

• Like 1