FouLLine

Mason Martin 1B/OF PIT

Mason Martin probably had the most impressive rookie ball season of any first year player.  Not only did he demonstrate really good power but he showed an incredible ability to draw walks.  A left handed hitter that could certainly sky rocket up the top prospect list this year.

• Like 3

I saw his line when I was randomly looking at league leaders one day and then made it a point to watch upcoming in depth pirates lists. I was surprised that everyone seemed to be down on him and pretty much ignoring what he did.  I understand from a real baseball aspect that he has definitely needs his bat to carry him to the majors, however, I don’t think that production can be ignored. It somewhat reminds me of when Bo Bichette raked after the draft and a lot of scouts were putting him down for his swing. Not saying Martin can be or will be like Bichette. I think he is definitely one to watch. Good tout! 

Edited by alisgodnow
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, alisgodnow said:

I saw his line when I was randomly looking at league leaders one day and then made it a point to watch upcoming in depth pirates lists. I was surprised that everyone seemed to be down on him and pretty much ignoring what he did.  I understand from a real baseball aspect that he has definitely needs his bat to carry him to the majors, however, I don’t think that production can be ignored. It somewhat reminds me of when Bo Bichette raked after the draft and a lot of scouts were putting him down for his swing. Not saying Martin can be or will be like Bichette. I think he is definitely one to watch. Good tout! 

Yes I too thought back to Bo... Very similar.  Killer production in his first year but strangely enough almost no prospect love. 

At this point I think it's fair to say he's in the conversation of best HS hitter out of the draft.  We will see going forward but from a pro debut stand point no one matched what he did.  Sure Royce Lewis hit and held his own in A ball which is hell of impressive in it's own right.  But Royce right now is just hitting for average with good plate discipline.  So while that coupled with his glove may allow him to climb the professional ladder faster, Royce Lewis may never evolve into a good enough bat to be as or more fantasy relevant as someone who is already showing pretty good OBP and power tools like Mason Martin.

Royce Lewis vs Mason Martin honestly reminds me a lot of Starlin Castro vs Anthony Rizzo.  Castro who was always ranked quite a bit higher in prospect circles got to the big leagues faster (despite being younger) and held down every day playing time much sooner than Rizzo.  But once Rizzo developed more he clearly became not only the better real life player but also the better fantasy player by a wide margin.  It almost always takes power hitters a little more time to develop than guys who just hit for average and it especially takes more time to develop into a big league power hitter than a big league fielder.  

• Like 1

Nabbed him in my NL Dynasty this morning. Pick was the talk of the draft.

• Like 1

A lot of Joey Gallo in his profile... extreme three true outcomes hitter with significant pull/fly ball tendencies. He’s got 2 HR, 5 BB and 8 K in 22 PA so far.

I don’t know if I’m ready to buy in yet given all the lack of scouting love but he will be an interesting player to watch for sure.

1 hour ago, SpartyOn4 said:

A lot of Joey Gallo in his profile... extreme three true outcomes hitter with significant pull/fly ball tendencies. He’s got 2 HR, 5 BB and 8 K in 22 PA so far.

I don’t know if I’m ready to buy in yet given all the lack of scouting love but he will be an interesting player to watch for sure.

If you wait for all the scouting love it will be too late.

• Like 4

So it seems as if A ball was a bit over whelming for Mason to start the season.  But now since being demoted to The Appalachian League he has 4 HRs and 1 triple in his first 6 games.  Dude has some insane raw power.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FouLLine said:

So it seems as if A ball was a bit over whelming for Mason to start the season.  But now since being demoted to The Appalachian League he has 4 HRs and 1 triple in his first 6 games.  Dude has some insane raw power.

Hopefully he gets the ship righted for the next time he moves up.

With 28 home runs, he leads baseball with most home runs without the juiced ball (AAA/Majors)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

He's got some work to do to continue lowering that K-rate.  Still, the power is legit.  6Hrs in less than 100Abs, as a 20 year old, in the FSL is pretty impressive.  Let's hope he continues to make adjustments so that he is not just a 3-true outcome guy.

I love his OBP, he Ks alot but he is patient. Great trait. Excited to see his development moving forward

I have this guy in my dynasty league. No prospect love for him.  Fangraphs doesn’t even have projections on him.  Nuttin. When will he get some love!? 

7 hours ago, Harrycubed said:

I have this guy in my dynasty league. No prospect love for him.  Fangraphs doesn’t even have projections on him.  Nuttin. When will he get some love!? 

Remember that sites like FG value defense and are not concerned about Fantasy.  They do have guys that comment on fantasy appeal.  Why he does not get love on most non-fantasy sites is that he is limited to first base only and for most prospect evaluators that puts tremendous pressure on the bat to make it.  He reminds me a lot of Dan Vogelbach. There is no question the power and walk rates are impressive, but he might have a hard time having a BA over .250 unless he refines his approach.

Thank you for your reply, but they rate guys with a FV index from 35 points and higher on lists. Does mason Martin not rate at least a 35, even being a “bat only” player?  Vogelbach was rated and on those lists. 

Follow up question.  Where would you recommend looking for the most in depth and “accurate” Fantasy info on minor leaguers, even obscure, or not yet signed players?  

Thanks for your help!

H

I'm actually hoping he stays under the radar.  I drafted him last year but dropped him to open up a draft slot this year. Now I'm concerned I may not get him back. 

Dude is a crushing again, which was why I drafted him the first time. If he stays off those lists, or at least near the back end, that's quite okay with me.

1 hour ago, Halo Fan said:

I'm actually hoping he stays under the radar.  I drafted him last year but dropped him to open up a draft slot this year. Now I'm concerned I may not get him back. 

Dude is a crushing again, which was why I drafted him the first time. If he stays off those lists, or at least near the back end, that's quite okay with me.

Lol.  I don’t mind that either, I’m just trying to figure out if this guy really IS not worth keeping and I’m just frazzled by his numbers.  Players with far less stats, tools, hype, etc have been ranked and gotten some notice.  I can’t figure out why this guy is SO off the radar!? 

Thanks! 

H

Hopefully he'll be in the Yahoo pool next year 

11 hours ago, Harrycubed said:

Thank you for your reply, but they rate guys with a FV index from 35 points and higher on lists. Does mason Martin not rate at least a 35, even being a “bat only” player?  Vogelbach was rated and on those lists. 

Follow up question.  Where would you recommend looking for the most in depth and “accurate” Fantasy info on minor leaguers, even obscure, or not yet signed players?  

Thanks for your help!

H

Ya, my perspective is they don't rank him because he has almost no defensive ability.  They were way down on Alonso, I believe, as well for the same reason.  If Martin continue to hit with the power he has shown thus far, there is a chance he can carve out a role.   I like him and I think he is undervalued fantasy guy.

As for sites, I like Eric Cross at Fantrax and RazzBall are good.  On RW, there are a number of great posters, @brockpapersizer and @garlando are two of the guys I respect greatly, but there are a lot of other knowledgeable guys too.  So, if you are looking for up and comers a great thread is the "Deep Sleepers" one and also just keep a watch at threads being created.  Usually, you will have a ton a guys that you will end of up liking, haha.  GL