Mr2Saint

Chris Carson 2018 Outlook

29 minutes ago, owenmills said:

The Seattle RB situation just sucks. I drafted Carson because the value is there but neither RB will probably be remotely reliable, at least early in the season. 

Carson is being draft late enough---still, even on September 1st----that he's the 3rd, 4th, or 5th RB on your team.

I'd suggest that Carson in the FLEX is entirely possible, and if you have a FLEX2 Carson absolutely has the green light for Week 1. He has the #1 designation and will get the rushing attempts; he has the hands and will be targeted by Wilson. Even with the addition of BChubb, I'm flexing Carson against Denver.

Don't get burned.

Vu3xVQZ.jpg

• Haha 5

24 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

Carson is being draft late enough---still, even on September 1st----that he's the 3rd, 4th, or 5th RB on your team.

I'd suggest that Carson in the FLEX is entirely possible, and if you have a FLEX2 Carson absolutely has the green light for Week 1. He has the #1 designation and will get the rushing attempts; he has the hands and will be targeted by Wilson. Even with the addition of BChubb, I'm flexing Carson against Denver.

Don't get burned.

Vu3xVQZ.jpg

We're going to NEED the audio that goes with this clip.

I have been down on Carson but am starting to change my view.  Apparently this big lug can play a little.  Should be interesting.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I have been down on Carson but am starting to change my view.  Apparently this big lug can play a little.  Should be interesting.

Carson does all the right things, gained favor of coaches, players, and fans, and was poised for a solid season before that dual-injury last year.

I'm in the camp of, Penny was drafted not to replace Carson, but because Carson's dual-injury was so severe that Seattle didn't know if he'd bounce back. The Seahawks were so thin in the backfield, they had to take an RB early. I like Penny, but did he need to be drafted Round 1? I also like Mike Davis back there.

Penny has the skills to earn a role, but Carson has the skills to remain 1A. Most of all, the price is still right: his ADP is designating him as a Flex. Also, if you're picking late in Round 1 (12-team and 14-team), and you get shorted on RBs and need to go OBJ / Keenan Allen in the first two rounds, Carson is a latter-round no-brainer (6.08 ADP today). My two cents.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cohenstantinople said:

Don't get burned.

Vu3xVQZ.jpg

Coincidentally he is in my FLEX2 spot. I just don't feel like he's particularly reliable at the moment, even there. He seems to be the lead back, but him playing in the last preseason game completely baffles me. I honestly have no clue what the split will be out of the gate, which I have to have some handle on to feel like a guy is reliable. Yeah I hear you that, where he's being drafted, the risk isn't terrible

2 hours ago, Cotton Jones said:

Also, Carson sluggish? That's a new one

Carson's ADP has never been above 6th round or something like that at any point in his career thusfar so what are you even talking about? Emotionally "invested"?

Your response is all over the place.  Carson is sluggish.  He ran close to a 4.6 at the combine, and is slow on the field.  Have you watched him play? 

The longest run of his career, and it's a pretty good one.   However, If he had some breakaway speed (like Penny) he could have taken this one down the sidelines and possibly to the house.  He doesn't have wheels.  That's not his game.  

And who said anything about 'emotional' investment?  Comprehension is key.  I'd be willing to bet Josh has bought a lot of stocks of Carson this year, hence the 'investment' claim.  Guys, this one isn't hard.  If Seattle and the CS was as high as Carson as the rest of some of you are, they wouldn't have drafted a RB in the 1st round and would have addressed other needs.  Penny's going to be given more leeway and will have more than enough chance to have the starting role on this team.  Carson is a nice backup and will probably give you 1, maybe 2 good weeks to start the year before the Penny show begins.  Once Penny gets up to speed he can do things Carson will never be able to do.

• Like 1

I  took penney for nothing for chits and giggles and will try to trade hi to the Carson owner. Like every year this backfield is a swamp of dissapointment but one constant is EVERYONE will get their shot  for the job.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, kdko said:

The longest run of his career, and it's a pretty good one.   However, If he had some breakaway speed (like Penny) he could have taken this one down the sidelines and possibly to the house.  He doesn't have wheels.  That's not his game.  

Once Penny gets up to speed he can do things Carson will never be able to do.

Have you forgotten about Penny's weight gain?

16 minutes ago, wekko368 said:

Have you forgotten about Penny's weight gain?

You mean the same weight he was in college when he ran for over 2,000 yards?  He only slimmed down for the combine.  He's a naturally big kid, but also insanely fast, like Fournette.  Carroll loves smashmouth football, which is why he drafted Penny.  Only he possesses speed Carson doesn't have.

24 minutes ago, kdko said:

You mean the same weight he was in college when he ran for over 2,000 yards?  Do some research.

I'm only finding 220 lb.  That's what was listed on a highlight video from 2017. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtt-qMVr_A4

Also, 16 lbs is a lot.  How are you sure its been distributed relatively proportionally to his college frame?

Regardless, has any team ever been happy about its late 1st round RB gaining 15+ lbs since the combine?  And what's the point of slimming down for the combine if he planned to regain the weight?

10 minutes ago, kdko said:

You mean the same weight he was in college when he ran for over 2,000 yards?  He only slimmed down for the combine.  He's a naturally big kid, but also insanely fast, like Fournette.  Carroll loves smashmouth football, which is why he drafted Penny.  Only he possesses speed Carson doesn't have.

that offense does not have alot of speed on it even moreso with mckissic out.

2 minutes ago, wekko368 said:

I'm only finding 220 lb.  That's what was listed on a highlight video from 2017. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtt-qMVr_A4

Also, 16 lbs is a lot.  How are you sure its been distributed relatively proportionally to his college frame?

Regardless, has any team ever been happy about its late 1st round RB gaining 15+ lbs since the combine?  And what's the point of slimming down for the combine if he planned to regain the weight?

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/nfl/sd-sp-chargers-seattle-seahawks-rashaad-penny-warren-moon-nfl-20180830-story.html

"...Penny, a 5-foot-11 running back who’s heavy by NFL standards at 236 pounds yet also fast"

"He slimmed to 220 in March for the NFL Scouting Combine, where he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.46 seconds. He regained the weight plus two pounds as of Aug. 21 and added three more pounds in recent days."

I can only posit, but i'm sure it was to squeeze as much as he could out of his 40 time and agility tests.  

4 minutes ago, dashoe said:

that offense does not have alot of speed on it even moreso with mckissic out.

I'd argue that Penny is faster than McKissic.  They do have some speed though.  I think Dickson adds some good speed at the TE position, and hopefully Lockette has finally turned that corner.  This team desperately needs a healthy Baldwin though to properly function though. 

4 minutes ago, kdko said:

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/nfl/sd-sp-chargers-seattle-seahawks-rashaad-penny-warren-moon-nfl-20180830-story.html

"...Penny, a 5-foot-11 running back who’s heavy by NFL standards at 236 pounds yet also fast"

"He slimmed to 220 in March for the NFL Scouting Combine, where he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.46 seconds. He regained the weight plus two pounds as of Aug. 21 and added three more pounds in recent days."

I can only posit, but i'm sure it was to squeeze as much as he could out of his 40 time and agility tests.  

Is this similar to lying on your resume? 

thinking-face.png

4 minutes ago, kdko said:

What's the sense in increasing his speed/agility if he's not going to have it when it matters (in real games)?

Just now, wekko368 said:

What's the sense in increasing his speed/agility if he's not going to have it when it matters (in real games)?

I doubt it made a monumental difference.  Watch his game tape from college.

Let's keep this thread going though so I can hopefully get Penny even cheaper tomorrow in one of my leagues.. It's a rarity to find a RB that could routinely return multiple kicks for TD's,  while possessing his carrying ability.  Last one that comes to mind coming out of college is DJ.  Keep sleeping at your own peril.

1 minute ago, kdko said:

Let's keep this thread going though so I can hopefully get Penny even cheaper tomorrow in one of my leagues.. It's a rarity to find a RB that could routinely return multiple kicks for TD's,  while possessing his carrying ability.  Last one that comes to mind coming out of college is DJ.  Keep sleeping at your own peril.

There's a big difference between playing in college and playing in the NFL.  Look no further than Penny's college teammate Donnel Pumphrey.

2 minutes ago, wekko368 said:

There's a big difference between playing in college and playing in the NFL.  Look no further than Penny's college teammate Donnel Pumphrey.

Are you really comparing a 170lbs back to Penny? C'mon...

Edited by kdko

1 hour ago, kdko said:

Your response is all over the place.  Carson is sluggish.  He ran close to a 4.6 at the combine, and is slow on the field.  Have you watched him play? 

Why is my response "all over the place"? Can you provide a reason why?
I went point by point with your quotes and debunked them concisely. That's the literal opposite of "all over the place" but you don't seem to be tethered to reality based on your posts in this thread.

And yes, I have watched him play. Wow. Good one.

1 minute ago, Cotton Jones said:

Why is my response "all over the place"? Can you provide a reason why?
I went point by point with your quotes and debunked them concisely. That's the literal opposite of "all over the place" but you don't seem to be tethered to reality based on your posts in this thread.

And yes, I have watched him play. Wow. Good one.

Debunked?  Your response was awful and didn't prove a thing.  And obviously not if you're still confused about his speed.

2 minutes ago, kdko said:

Debunked?  Your response was awful and didn't prove a thing.  And obviously not if you're still confused about his speed.

saying my post was "all over the place" and "awful" without saying why it is either of these things is pretty pathetic

But that seems to be what you're going for in the Chris Carson thread

Edited by Cotton Jones

6 minutes ago, kdko said:

Are you really comparing a 170lbs back to Penny.  The SDSU system translates well into the NFL, maybe you should compare him to Marshall Faulk instead.

So the SDSU system translates well in the NFL when talking about Penny.....but not for Pumphrey?

Just now, wekko368 said:

So the SDSU system translates well in the NFL when talking about Penny.....but not for Pumphrey?

I don't think being a 170 lbs RB translates well into a workhorse capacity in the NFL.

42 minutes ago, kdko said:

Which is what happened. Penny is not a 4.46 runner. Closer to 4.55. He’s not THAT much faster than Carson.