Mr2Saint

Chris Carson 2018 Outlook

11 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

All Penny carries came with game well out of hand. This is not that type of RBBC. Look at play by play game summary instead of box score.

Delete. Maybe it seemed worse than it was

Edited by Zekepeak86

Yea I was right, Carson’s had like 7 touches on the first drive and then just 7 more the remaining quarters. 

@nonstopfan he had 10 before the half, 7 on first drive. 4 rest of game. I knew I remembered it was odd

Edited by Zekepeak86

I had to bench carson lst minute and glad I did popping cohen into the flex instead.

Problem I'm facing with him in ppr scoring is he is becoming very volume and td dependent. His  targets and receptions have declined every game and in this game he got zero targets.  That's not the role of a workhorse rb; he is becoming another version of Howard/collins/henry due to lack of targets. Lynch gets more targets and is slightly producing better on my team.  

8 minutes ago, Zekepeak86 said:

Delete. Maybe it seemed worse than it was

120yds rushing between 3 rb's when they led the entire way is terrible. This was a low volume game overall offensively

Just now, dashoe said:

120yds rushing between 3 rb's when they led the entire way is terrible. This was a low volume game overall offensively

It wasn’t what you’d expect from Carson’s but I knew I wasn’t nuts. Seeing 7 carries on first drive that led to a score and than 7 more rest of game is inexcusable.

3 minutes ago, dashoe said:

I had to bench carson lst minute and glad I did popping cohen into the flex instead.

Problem I'm facing with him in ppr scoring is he is becoming very volume and td dependent. His  targets and receptions have declined every game and in this game he got zero targets.  That's not the role of a workhorse rb; he is becoming another version of Howard/collins/henry due to lack of targets. Lynch gets more targets and is slightly producing better on my team.  

I don't think Carson has ever been considered a Workhorse back.  For me, he is likely to be a mid to low RB2, but never thought of him as a RB1 or even close.  I'd gladly trade him straight up for Howard, Collins or Lynch(not Henry).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zekepeak86 said:

It wasn’t what you’d expect from Carson’s but I knew I wasn’t nuts. Seeing 7 carries on first drive that led to a score and than 7 more rest of game is inexcusable.

They were leading by alot and the D was controlling the game.  Im thinking they did that because they didn't need him.

I've been holding Mike Davis in both my leagues mostly in the event of a Carson injury. Penny also in dynasty, but he is a long-term stash. I really didn't expect to see Penny get involved or see the kind of action he got today until much later in the season. Any time the coaching staff gets a chance to see more of Penny just gives them an opportunity to do a change of guard in my opinion.

The usage for this backfield remains an absolute mystery though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, dams513 said:

They were leading by alot and the D was controlling the game.  Im thinking they did that because they didn't need him.

I think it was a combo rest for the previous hip injury + wanting to get Penny back into the #2 role

Just now, dams513 said:

They were up 7-0 after first drive but yea, Carson isn’t going to be a workhorse. I think it’ll be sporadic. This was the perfect game script to use Carson’s to run down the clock and field and they opted to use all 3. I think we all know what we get in Carson’s and this offense. He won’t be a zeke or Gordon, Gurley or Barkley type guy. Which is fine. Just figured he would be more productive.  If your trailing he doesn’t see a ton of carries, if your up big he doesn’t see a ton of carries..... it’s Carroll dependant.

Just now, dashoe said:

I think it was a combo rest for the previous hip injury + wanting to get Penny back into the #2 role

That is my line of thinking as well. Because any other team milking a lead will lean on their starting RB to grind clock. Not go to their 2nd and 3rd stringer.

• Like 3

Also, Carson did have a few decent gains called back because of penalties (including a 15-yard run), and he lost a probable TD from the half-yard line to an ill-timed false start - those 14 carries were actually 18, I believe. Carson easily could have left this game with 80 yards and a TD if those calls weren't made.

Edited by 99-percent-sure
clarity

I want to say he was significantly out touching Davis and Penny until the game was decided. Then it was mostly Penny and a little Davis the rest of the way. They probably wanted to get Penny some game seasoning since the game was already decided. I think Carson should still see close to 20 touches most weeks, but he's still the leader of a committee right now.

Edited by TrueToTheBlue
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bryce84 said:

I'm pretty happy with what I saw, he looked the best by far of the Seattle RBs imo.  He had some nice early runs called back by penalty, and other goal line situations stifled due to penalties pushing them into passing situations.  I expected more but if you watched the game there were other factors in play and yeah they gave Penny some run at the end when the game was decided.

To add to this, I think if the game were even remotely close in the 2nd half he'd have seen more touches.  You have to remember that Seattle has had major injury issues at RB in recent years, there's a lot of touches to give in a season and this was their way of not putting excess wear and tear on Carson, imo.

Just now, Bryce84 said:

To add to this, I think if the game were even remotely close in the 2nd half he'd have seen more touches.  You have to remember that Seattle has had major injury issues at RB in recent years, there's a lot of touches to give in a season and this was their way of not putting excess wear and tear on Carson, imo.

Preserved for the bye week like Kamara last week :unsure:

Big

33 minutes ago, 99-percent-sure said:

Also, Carson did have a few decent gains called back because of penalties (including a 15-yard run), and he lost a probable TD from the half-yard line to an ill-timed false start - those 14 carries were actually 18, I believe. Carson easily could have left this game with 80 yards and a TD if those calls weren't made.

This. Things I liked. He is the goal line back. Things i didn’t like. Penny. Davis doesn’t scare me too much because Seattle didn’t put any stock into Davis. But they did into penny and he actually didn’t look bad. For me right now Carson is a easy flex borderline rb2 depending on matchup and league size. 

• Like 1

I don't know... I think Carson's production is a crap shoot. You have other rbs in the mix on rotation. Carroll goes with the hot hand.  And even though I think Carson is a fine rb, I also think he's on borrowed time.  Penny was drafted to be the guy eventually.  Add in Davis, Carroll's mind, and I just don't like the situation.  He can be started as a bye week plug in, but who knows what you'll get back in points.  My thought is package him up and move him for someone who's immediate future is more defined.  

Edited by mikeflavaz

That was very disappointing and I can't trust starting Carson now. I'm not dropping him but not starting him until his role is more clear.  

26 minutes ago, ADDwithFF said:

That was very disappointing and I can't trust starting Carson now. I'm not dropping him but not starting him until his role is more clear.  

Same here although it is good to hear it wasn't as bad as the box score lead me to believe.  If he has a good week 8 I'll chalk this one up to points being cancelled out by some penalties and consider him for week 9.

8 minutes ago, Even_More_Guruist said:

Same here although it is good to hear it wasn't as bad as the box score lead me to believe.  If he has a good week 8 I'll chalk this one up to points being cancelled out by some penalties and consider him for week 9.

Plenty of players lose long plays to penalties every week though. That can't be an excuse going forward. And many long plays called back due to penalties are long plays because of the called penalty.

Carson's usage outside of the one game where he had 30+ carries has been inconsistent. And the coaching staff deciding not to salt the game away with their lead RB is a concern. Other teams won't rest their lead RB and try to keep him healthy in a game situation like that. Not to the extent the Seahawks did. Might just be Carroll being Carroll.

Finding consistent RB2's and RB3's is hit or miss this season though. Worse than I can remember recently. Other seasons had numerous cases of significant injuries to starters. I do agree with mikeflavaz that if you can package Carson for a more consistent RB going forward it might be a good path to consider. I do think Carson does have some name value. The Seahawks backfield has name value to it since many fondly remember Lynch from only a few seasons ago.

borderliner rb1/rb2... detroit has given up 6th most fantasy pnts to rbs. the lions will always be bad so always play their opponent! lol

I think I'm gonna start him due to the above mentioned Lions run D over Jordan Howard. I think he could put up a serviceable game if you need some pts in a pinch. 

I got crucified for this a few weeks ago but outside of a 12-teamer and bad bye week situation he's still unstartable. So now we're talking a guy in a full on committee who you had to sit due to injury, who got you 5.9 points in full PPR in his last game, who you then had to sit because of a bye, who you now have to sit to see how he will be used moving forward.