Sign in to follow this  
DLG10

Jordy Nelson 2018 Season Outlook

Hmm.  They'll probably cut Crabtree then?  Not sure that's a great move.

I dont see the Crabtree/Jordy swap as being too impactful.      A younger guy might've made more sense, but I think if Jordy had anything left in the tank, GB would've made a stronger effort to keep him.   Maybe he can rediscover the magic for a season, but how well can he perform in fantasy without Rodgers?  A tough sell for me to draft.  

I selfishly wish Jordy hung them up. Love Jordy as a player, he's everything you want in a football player but I do think he has lost a step. As well as his declining catch rate.

I also believe his fantastic chemistry with Rodgers made a huge impact on his production.

Much like we've seen in the past with Jennings to Minnesota, James Jones to Oakland, we don't see many GB WRs have success elsewhere....

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bgar15 said:

I selfishly wish Jordy hung them up. Love Jordy as a player, he's everything you want in a football player but I do think he has lost a step. As well as his declining catch rate.

I also believe his fantastic chemistry with Rodgers made a huge impact on his production.

Much like we've seen in the past with Jennings to Minnesota, James Jones to Oakland, we don't see many GB WRs have success elsewhere....

Yep, history isn't on his side.  I'm not down on Derek Carr at all, but, Rodgers he is not.     

22 minutes ago, NYR Fan 116894 said:

I  thought after being released there was a scenario where Jordy would go to Seattle and then I thought why would Seattle want him because it won't improve their non dynamic passing game. So I stopped thinking about it. :)

• Like 1

...and there is goes....

Raiders signed WR Jordy Nelson, formerly of the Packers, to a two-year, $15 million contract.

As expected, the Raiders cut Michael Crabtree and his $7.5 million in salary and bonuses for 2018 and gave it to Nelson, who gets $13 million guaranteed. Nelson (33 in May) is two years older than Crabtree and looked washed with the Packers last season, though we're going to give him the benefit of the doubt for now, considering he was playing with Brett Hundley. (It didn't bother Davante Adams.) Nelson will be the starter opposite Amari Cooper, who coach Jon Gruden said will be the focal point of the offense. Consider Nelson a WR3 for now.
Mar 15 - 4:04 PM

Jordy and Carr are both devout Christians. Hopefully that helps them put in the extra work now to develop chemistry in the RZ during the season. 

I’m honestly more intrigued as to where Crabtree ends up. Reunion in SF?

• Like 1

Horrible signing.  So much for the Raiders 2018 season.  Time of death 4:04 pm EDT

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

Jordy and Carr are both devout Christians. Hopefully that helps them put in the extra work now to develop chemistry in the RZ during the season. 

Give Jordy a load of targets, his yoke is light & easy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, lolcopter said:

I’m honestly more intrigued as to where Crabtree ends up. Reunion in SF?

Green Bay

So far Gruden is not looking like he is assembling a conference championship team :o

2 hours ago, dashoe said:

So far Gruden is not looking like he is assembling a conference championship team :o

But as Gruden would say "He's a good guy". I think he's spent too much time sitting in that cozy booth. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/15/2018 at 3:20 PM, psygolf said:

Give Jordy a load of targets, his yoke is light & easy.

Well done

On 3/15/2018 at 3:38 PM, dashoe said:

Remember in TB when he assembled a cast of washed up vets who underachieved before he got fired? Looks like he's picking up where he left off. He's never had patience for young players. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, FinsUp24 said:

Anyone feeling optimistic with Jordy this year? 

Don't know one reason why anyone would.

3 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I’m as down on him as the next guy, but I mean, he’s still Jordy Nelson. I want to be a believer. He’s playing the slot, it’s not like he really needs the explosiveness that he once had. He’s still a fantastic route runner. We’ve seen that Carr can throw a hefty amount of TDs and we know Jordy’s RZ presence. He had 6 TDs in the first 5 games last year. Yes, I understand most of his value came from the bromance with Rogers, but what if we’re putting a little too much stock into that? Sometimes QBs just mesh well with certain receivers. Hundley had immediate bromance with Adams. Whose to say Carr and Nelson don’t find a fraction of what Rodgers and Nelson had?

2 minutes ago, FinsUp24 said:

I’m as down on him as the next guy, but I mean, he’s still Jordy Nelson. I want to be a believer. He’s playing the slot, it’s not like he really needs the explosiveness that he once had. He’s still a fantastic route runner. We’ve seen that Carr can throw a hefty amount of TDs and we know Jordy’s RZ presence. He had 6 TDs in the first 5 games last year. Yes, I understand most of his value came from the bromance with Rogers, but what if we’re putting a little too much stock into that? Sometimes QBs just mesh well with certain receivers. Hundley had immediate bromance with Adams. Whose to say Carr and Nelson don’t find a fraction of what Rodgers and Nelson had?

Carr has already gone out of his way to say how much he likes Nelson, so there is that.  Crabtree's departure certainly does leave a whole bunch of targets behind for someone.

I am fighting to keep an open mind until I can see Nelson take some snaps in PS.  I need to eye test him before I make up my mind.

7 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Trolling? :blink:

1 hour ago, kdko said:

Trolling? :blink:

If you watched any of Jordy's games last year, he sure looked cooked.  And his numbers were turrible.  And now he is on a much worse team.  But he still has such a big name that he will probably take some draft capital to acquire.  Just seems like a bad idea to me.

Also, from what we've heard, it seems the perfect Raiders season on offense involves Cooper becoming a true target hog and WR1.   If that does happen, what's left for Jordy who's now also battling with Martavis Bryant?      Now, naturally, there's likely a big difference in the story the team wants to write during the offseason, and what actually ends up happening come gametime, but its not without merit when considering fantasy options.   

Jordy in the past has been great in the red zone.  If he's going to pay off, that's gotta be the path to success I think.   I can't imagine he's got enough left in the tank to hit those killer long TD's (week 14 vs the Falcons in 2014- bastard), but i guess he could be a sneaky option here to put up 6 or 7 TD's.      With the Raiders D being questionable, there's a chance here of garbage time passing stats and playing catchup. 

I'm still probably a hard pass on the Raiders for reasons already stated by me and others, but I usually like to think through why I could be wrong on guys.