Sign in to follow this  
NYR Fan 116894

Teddy Bridgewater 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

Per some blue check on twitter:

 

https://mobile.twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1034874564101033984

 

#Jets players were on the bus when they stopped (getting ready to depart), and  told Teddy Bridgewater he’d been traded, he waved goodbye, then they drove off, source said. Bridgewater headed to the Saints. 

Image result for bus stop gif

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3rd round pick for a guy the Jets picked up off the scrap heap.  Good backup option for the Saints but unsure why they couldn't have Kaep be their backup for free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jumper said:

3rd round pick for a guy the Jets picked up off the scrap heap.  Good backup option for the Saints but unsure why they couldn't have Kaep be their backup for free.

 

because his career already died two years ago

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, LeeVanCleef said:

 

Jets are retarded. Start Bridgewater for the season and have Darnold sit. We have no O-line and no real run game. I hate Mac so much.

 

A third rounder (which he ended up getting) isn’t bad.  I agree the OLine needs a lot of help. 

 

They’re also supposedly trying to trade for Khalil Mack which would be pretty sweet.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

 

Why couldn’t McCown start again?

 

He could but Teddy can be showcased for trade value mid-season or after season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LeeVanCleef said:

 

He could but Teddy can be showcased for trade value mid-season or after season.

 

Not if his leg falls off again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Iron-cock said:

 

A third rounder (which he ended up getting) isn’t bad.  I agree the OLine needs a lot of help. 

 

They’re also supposedly trying to trade for Khalil Mack which would be pretty sweet.  

 

Mac probably refused to accept a 2nd rounder because he doesn't know how to draft 2nd round players

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's a pretty smart move by the saints, even if I hate how loose they can be with draft capital...

Another team loses a front line QB and they can probably get a 1st+ like Eagles did with Bradford-or they just hold for insurance and maybe re-up next year?

Edited by ST. STEVEN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like this trade for all parties involved. No fantasy relevance whatsoever except for those who roster Teddy in very deep dynasty leagues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasn't high on Bridgewater before the injury.  Nice comeback story and all, but I don't see why teams are burning picks to acquire him.  Saints just like giving up their picks.  They gave up a 1st to GB didn't they on draft day to move up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Sternes said:

Wasn't high on Bridgewater before the injury.  Nice comeback story and all, but I don't see why teams are burning picks to acquire him.  Saints just like giving up their picks.  They gave up a 1st to GB didn't they on draft day to move up?

Saints needed a backup QB badly. Maybe they liked Bridgewater in the offseason, but Bridgewater chose to sign with the Jets because it gave him a path to starting. That path was gone after they selected Darnold.

 

And it isn't all bad for Bridgewater. Brees might only play for another couple seasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, devaster said:

Saints needed a backup QB badly. Maybe they liked Bridgewater in the offseason, but Bridgewater chose to sign with the Jets because it gave him a path to starting. That path was gone after they selected Darnold.

 

And it isn't all bad for Bridgewater. Brees might only play for another couple seasons.

 

A lot of cuts will be happening soon.  I'm not sure how badly a team needs a backup QB, let alone a 3rd rounder to acquire one unless their current QB is battling some injury.  He isn't going to know the playbook for weeks anyway.  Unless they think he is the replacement to Brees, which would be pretty shocking to me if they thought that.  

 

Who is Newton's backup?  Watson's? Mariota's? River's? Prescott's? Goff's?   I'm just browsing through some of these deep charts and half the names I don't even recognize. Most teams carried 2 QB's last year I believe, which would mean a lot of options on cut day.

 

I get that Bridgewater could be "their" guy, but it seems odd to pony up that price, at this time, and in the current situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sternes said:

 

A lot of cuts will be happening soon.  I'm not sure how badly a team needs a backup QB, let alone a 3rd rounder to acquire one unless their current QB is battling some injury.  He isn't going to know the playbook for weeks anyway.  Unless they think he is the replacement to Brees, which would be pretty shocking to me if they thought that.  

 

Who is Newton's backup?  Watson's? Mariota's? River's? Prescott's? Goff's?   I'm just browsing through some of these deep charts and half the names I don't even recognize. Most teams carried 2 QB's last year I believe, which would mean a lot of options on cut day.

 

I get that Bridgewater could be "their" guy, but it seems odd to pony up that price, at this time, and in the current situation.

There is always a lot of talk about backup QBs when a team actually needs one. Foles last season? The backup QBs are largely ignored until a team has to actually rely on one. And some teams tank when their starter goes down. Hundley last season?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And the Rams definitely need a backup QB. Mannion was pathetic in the preseason. Same with Wilson's backup QB. Seahawks traded for Hundley today. Probably a better fit for the Seahawks' offense or at least better than what they had.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lolcopter said:

 

This is a joke, right?

 

Lol at giving up a top 100 pick for a player they could've signed in the off-season for free. He's on a one year contract too, so they gave up a premium pick for a rental.

 

Can't see how anyone can defend this from the Saints standpoint, but at least they got good Brees insurance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just because someone is traded to a team doesn't mean we need to discuss it. It's like buying something just because you have a coupon. 

 

He a backup and he sucks butt. Will never be fantasy relevant. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, devaster said:

Saints needed a backup QB badly. Maybe they liked Bridgewater in the offseason, but Bridgewater chose to sign with the Jets because it gave him a path to starting. That path was gone after they selected Darnold.

 

And it isn't all bad for Bridgewater. Brees might only play for another couple seasons.

 

all of this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lolcopter said:

it's possible they see him as the heir apparent 

 

No. He is what he is. He's not a franchise QB by any means.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Teddy was a risk this off season. People had no idea how he would come back. His knees literally exploded. He came back and displayed a lot of the things that people liked about him pre injury. So Jets cashed in. Saints made a good move. Worst case they have a solid back up, best case they have a future qb. Don't find a lot of qbs at Teddy's skill level in the 3rd round. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it was a good deal for all parties. If your a legit contender you MUST have a capable backup. And that's exactly what he is at this stage of his career. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, South Carolina said:

I think it was a good deal for all parties. If your a legit contender you MUST have a capable backup. And that's exactly what he is at this stage of his career. 

 

I think the Saints overlearned from the Eagles experience last year and are in near panic "win now" mode. Still I think NO could have still gotten Teddy for the same 3rd rounder later this year should Brees have gotten hurt. As others point out he's a very expensive 1 year rental given the draft capital used to acquire him.  And I don't think he's completely fantasy irrelevant, anyone who is a legitimate starter quality QB is worth monitoring in 2QB league unless it's a 8 team or smaller.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think the Saints are trading for Bridgewater as a 1 year insurance plan. I wouldn't be surprised to see them sign him to a decent extension.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.