• Announcements

• Patrick Bateman

Check out the new Rotoworld Beta Site!   11/14/2018

Rotoworld has been the industry leader in fantasy news and analysis for years, but it was time for a much-needed facelift!  While our around-the-clock, comprehensive coverage will remain the same, the new Rotoworld design will be sleeker, easier to navigate, more video-friendly and will finally be mobile-optimized.    That’s right, you can finally stop pinching the screens on your phones to read our content!  Right now we’re in the beta phase of our launch, and it’s still a work-in-progress, but we’d love for you to check out our soon-to-be new digs, and let us know what you think: https://beta.rotoworld.com.    And then please use the Contact Us button to give us feedback!  
jfazz23

Ken Giles 2018 Outlook

just read this not so great blurb on fantrax.  i had giles ranked as a top 7 or so closer.

thoughts?

Manager A.J. Hinch said he'll prepare his bullpen to bring in a pitcher whenever he wants to and that includes Giles, Jerome Solomon of the Houston Chronicle reports. "If I bring (Ken) Giles in for a huge matchup in the seventh or eighth inning, (Hector) Rondon's closed, (Chris) Devenski's closed, (Will) Harris has closed, (Brad) Peacock could close. We really don't have a guy that I wouldn't go to in the ninth inning," said Hinch.
Analysis: Giles should be considered the primary closer, and we don't expect his save opportunities to diminish much. However, it's worth considering how Hinch's planned bullpen usage may play itself out during the regular season before going all-in on Giles. It might be helpful for owners of Giles to marry him to another Astros reliever, though that could lead to more harm than good given how many save-worthy arms Houston carries, and over-investing on a single bullpen could harm a team's overall fantasy potential.

Probably has a short leash.  Liking him less and less.

11 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

just read this not so great blurb on fantrax.  i had giles ranked as a top 7 or so closer.

thoughts?

Manager A.J. Hinch said he'll prepare his bullpen to bring in a pitcher whenever he wants to and that includes Giles, Jerome Solomon of the Houston Chronicle reports. "If I bring (Ken) Giles in for a huge matchup in the seventh or eighth inning, (Hector) Rondon's closed, (Chris) Devenski's closed, (Will) Harris has closed, (Brad) Peacock could close. We really don't have a guy that I wouldn't go to in the ninth inning," said Hinch.
Analysis: Giles should be considered the primary closer, and we don't expect his save opportunities to diminish much. However, it's worth considering how Hinch's planned bullpen usage may play itself out during the regular season before going all-in on Giles. It might be helpful for owners of Giles to marry him to another Astros reliever, though that could lead to more harm than good given how many save-worthy arms Houston carries, and over-investing on a single bullpen could harm a team's overall fantasy potential.

More and more managers are seeing the value in using their best reliever in high leverage situations from the 7th inning and on, which I don't knock them for. Now, for fantasy purposes this sucks but it makes sense in real life if you ask me. This evolution in thought, so to speak, is another reason why I will not be spending an early draft pick for any of the top closers. That being said, I still feel like Giles will be a top 5 closer to finish the year with close to 30 saves and good ratios but the risk is there after seeing that comment from Hinch. 

• Like 1

On 3/14/2018 at 8:05 AM, BostonCajun said:

More and more managers are seeing the value in using their best reliever in high leverage situations from the 7th inning and on, which I don't knock them for. Now, for fantasy purposes this sucks but it makes sense in real life if you ask me. This evolution in thought, so to speak, is another reason why I will not be spending an early draft pick for any of the top closers. That being said, I still feel like Giles will be a top 5 closer to finish the year with close to 30 saves and good ratios but the risk is there after seeing that comment from Hinch. 

But aren't Peacock and Devenski just as good, or even, better than Giles?

This is why more and more leagues are moving to include Holds as a category.

When the Astros showed they didn't trust Giles to pitch in high leverage situations in the postseason that should have signaled end of his tenure with the team.

22 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

When the Astros showed they didn't trust Giles to pitch in high leverage situations in the postseason that should have signaled end of his tenure with the team.

so then its safe to say its going to be a committee going forward? with Giles at the back end of that committee? trying to figure out if hes worth rostering specifically for saves 

They don't seem to trust him or want to use him as the traditional closer. He's had some bad situational luck but they also passed on putting him in spots where you use a closer. Maybe he works his way back into the spot, who knows. But they have a lot of options there.

Hinch laid out the plans, I wish I would have read the first post in here before I grabbed him in my main league. Definitely would have bumped him down.

People probably used a mid round pick on him and unless I'm in small league (10 team or smaller) I'm holding him for the next few weeks unless I really get in a roster bind.

Giles, Peacock, and Devenski are all worth rostering.

6 minutes ago, Stein said:

Giles, Peacock, and Devenski are all worth rostering.

Probably true, but the more interesting question is in what order? Peacock and Devenski have more IPs, Ks, and a W/SV apiece. Peacock may get a few starts.  Giles has the "closer label" from last year. Should be an interesting situation to monitor going forward.

Giles doesn't look confident when he is on the mound. It looks like he don't trust his stuff right now and his best pitch is his fastball, a pitch that can potentially hurt you. On the other hand, Devo is walking from the bullpen to the mound like a brood cock with 10 hens around him. 

• Like 1

Of all RP that have appeared in a game and are above 2% owned in Yahoo – so literally any RP worth their salt – Giles has the SECOND FEWEST IP so far (5.0), only ahead of Nate Jones (4.1).

Super frustrating. I don't even care about saves at this point, just get him some innings. Hopefully better times ahead.

Wouldn't cut the cord completely at this point....More of a stash, till there is a greater sample size on this shake-out....However, after Devenski got the call ( & locked it down) last night, with a well rested Giles on the bench, its obvious that Giles is no longer the sole occupant in Houston's first chair for saves.  

people dropped early in the season last year too howd that turn out for them haha

just gotta look at the trends, if you paid a high price for him thats on you but hes still going to get over 20 saves id say 25+ 

but devenski will also get 20+ saves imo so take this situation for what it has become

a two headed closer

Yeah I wouldn't panic either. This happened last year and everyone was freaking out as well. Astros just have a fantastic bullpen and intend to use all of it. 

Posted (edited)

Houston needs to pull the plug on this guy. Should have gotten rid of him in the offseason.

What good is a headcase, low-confidence purported closer to a team with World Series aspirations?

Swap him for another broken player.

Edited by My Dinner With Andre

2 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Houston needs to pull the plug on this guy. Should have gotten rid of him in the offseason.

What good is a headcase, low-confidence purported closer to a team with World Series aspirations?

Swap him for another broken player.

I'm thinking a sub 2.5 ERA 3/4 seasons of his career, 25-35 saves and a guy who paired with Devinski and Peacock makes a game pretty hard to win after the starter finishes up

He doesn't pitch in close games, he doesn't pitch in blow outs, he doesn't pitch in games where they are ahead by a couple of runs, he doesn't pitch when there are left handers coming up, he won't go in if Peacock is rolling or if it's the start of the 9th inning because that's when Devenski goes in. If they think they need a guy for a few innings they will put in McHugh.

Except for that he's good.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, The General said:

He doesn't pitch in close games, he doesn't pitch in blow outs, he doesn't pitch in games where they are ahead by a couple of runs, he doesn't pitch when there are left handers coming up, he won't go in if Peacock is rolling or if it's the start of the 9th inning because that's when Devenski goes in. If they think they need a guy for a few innings they will put in McHugh.

Except for that he's good.

This is exactly what it feels like. Dude can only pitch if the conditions are absolutely right. 

If it goes another week like this, I can't keep holding. wasted roster spot.

I really wish I had done a bit more research on closers pre-season. Didn't think Hinch would really go away from Giles so much. They don't really trust him in any situation. Can't give up on him mid-April, but hard to see him on rosters if this keeps up another few weeks. 

• Like 1

It is not like management can say anything like "We traded a lot to acquire this guy.  Let's use him."  Hinch managed them to a ring.