jfazz23

Ken Giles 2018 Outlook

at least there is the injury news as an excuse to why he wasnt pitching

silver lining

Maybe a brief stint on the DL will give us some reprieve and we can all stash him there for a while? As Dev picks up more momentum I could see this being too big a whole to climb out of for Giles

I have no clue what to do with him.  I actually have him, Devenski and Peacock on my roster because my league has holds as a category,  but Giles isn't giving me either holds or saves and I could actually use the roster spot. 

I picked him up last week after somebody dropped him, and after I traded Ian Desmond for Treinen.  I only had Doolittle closing before then, so I need saves.

I'm feeling pretty good about the whole thing, especially since he pitched the 9th last night after Devenski pitched the 8th.  Let's hope this stays!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, seditious3 said:

I picked him up last week after somebody dropped him, and after I traded Ian Desmond for Treinen.  I only had Doolittle closing before then, so I need saves.

I'm feeling pretty good about the whole thing, especially since he pitched the 9th last night after Devenski pitched the 8th.  Let's hope this stays!

He's good, he just has to have a set role. That could be his downfall all year. We'll see if he really is the closer soon.

27 minutes ago, RedRaider27 said:

He's good, he just has to have a set role. That could be his downfall all year. We'll see if he really is the closer soon.

I dont think he is the "closer" its a two headed closer situation where Devenski will get the LHB 9th innings and Giles gets the RHB 9th innings 

equivalent to Devenski getting 15-20 saves with giles getting 25+ imo this season both with nice ratios and K's so should be owned

What is the deal with the lack of strikeouts thus far this season? He has been very good in that category year after year. 

On 4/26/2018 at 10:05 PM, Ace_King said:

What is the deal with the lack of strikeouts thus far this season? He has been very good in that category year after year. 

Noticing the same thing. 2 saves and 4 K's for the year ? 

Getting tough to hold with new options popping up weekly out there....

Posted (edited)

The Astros just have a save situation and went to Wil Harris instead of Giles, which was blown by the way, but I've just about ran out of patience. There are a few back end closers on my waiver wire, including Treinen, and I'm about ready to bail on Giles. 

Edited by DFWSooner

21 hours ago, DFWSooner said:

The Astros just have a save situation and went to Wil Harris instead of Giles, which was blown by the way, but I've just about ran out of patience. There are a few back end closers on my waiver wire, including Treinen, and I'm about ready to bail on Giles. 

Maybe hes concussed from that mean right hook

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, DFWSooner said:

12 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

Maybe hes concussed from that mean right hook

Astros manager AJ Hinch was sending a message because he doesn't like those kind of antics from his players.  He doesn't want them throwing fits and raging out like Giles did.  This is not the first time Giles lost his composure either.  He's a hothead and Hinch doesn't like that toxicness around the team.

I was looking at Giles' stats from last year to this year and one of the biggest things that stuck out to me was that his walks are wayyyyyyy down but his hits are way up.  This suggests that he's been throwing too many pitches out over the plate and would explain why people have hit him a lot more this season over the past seasons.  I think Giles needs to start working out of the zone more again in order to regain success.  His walks may go up a little, but the hits he gives up should go down as he gets more people to chase pitches or make bad contact with pitches outside of the zone.  Just my .02

Exhibit A for SAGNOF.

Especially with the changing bullpen use, going forward I guess you just wait as long as you can to draft a closer if you miss out on the few assured closers.  Just keep eyes open.

1 hour ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

Boy this situation went downhill fast! 

He's done in Houston, right? 

You mean after choking in the postseason, performing poorly this year, cussing off the manager, and, in a fit of lunacy, punching himself in the face?

Nah he'll probably be back on the roster shortly.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Hopefully he gets traded. We could use a catcher in Houston. You can't tell the GM F U and stomp off the mound like that. 

Posted (edited)

Clearly needs a change of scenery to a veteran team to get his head back on straight.  Not to say that Houston isn't professional enough or anything.  Just hasn't worked out so far.

Edited by Baur10

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, ff062018 said:

Any thought on his situation in Toronto?

Not a whole lot standing in his way

Edited by bigbossman

7 minutes ago, ff062018 said:

Will likely be given the opportunity to close, no reason to think he won't be.

4 minutes ago, ff062018 said:

It's been discussed some in the July Closers Thread but I know there has been a ton of talk in that thread the last couple days and it's tough to keep up with. Gibbons has said he will definitely have a chance to close so his opportunity is there. Some people question how he'll be any different in TOR than his season 4.90+ ERA but I personally believe he could return to the dominant closer he was last year or something close to that. Look at his home/road splits this year while he was with the Astros. He was terrible in HOU and on the road he was good. Then there's the possibility of a change of scenery doing some good. Some guys that works. I think if he's out there in your league he's a must add if you're in need of saves. And if you're not do so anyway and flip him if he does well. 

Just saw that the Jays are trying to move Clippard and Axford. This is good news for Giles owners if they can make moves particularly if Clippard is moved. That would only leave Tepera in the way