Packdog

Jerick McKinnon 2018 Outlook

26 minutes ago, psygolf said:

So this is an example of Lynch's decision making when players & draft picks do not fall into his lap...good to know.

I know the 2 other RBs ahead of you on most free agent lists have just been signed for dirt cheap, but if you're interested... I'd like to pay you substantially more than they received.

Someone should call Lynch and tell him the NFL has a hard cap before he runs into that wall.

4 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Younger, far less injury history, better zone scheme runner, far better receiver than Hyde, far more durable than Lewis, far more athletic than both. 

You don't get paid for your combine workout on your 2nd contract.

You get paid for your production over the previous 4 years.

21 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

Seems like a weird move given such a deep RB draft class

yeah I was thinking the same thing, which is why i'm curious as to why every thinks the team that doesnt draft barkley is insane given the rb depth

At this point, it would be reasonable to assume that McKinnon will serve as the goal line back, right? Brieda is definitely smaller

This dude is good, always has been. I'm curious where his ADP will settle at but no additions to the backfield I'd feel lucky to get him in the 4th but more then likely he goes mid 3rd.  What say you folk on ADP speculation? this FA season is making this type of forecast hard. 

Asiata to 49ers incoming.

In all seriousness, I need this guy on my teams this year.  Unless of course they draft one of the stud RBs in this draft.  McKinnon is electric and dynamic and will serve on all 3 downs in a high powered offense.  He is not a perfect RB -- tackle breaking and power running isn't great -- but he is a great fit for this system.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

These are the kind of moves  that make you think if you wait to take  guys like mckinnon and hyde  it could be worth it to pass  on zeke-bell-Dj-gurley

30 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Younger, far less injury history, better zone scheme runner, far better receiver than Hyde, far more durable than Lewis, far more athletic than both. 

And far less complete of a back 

far less productive 

he’s been mediocre with no shortage of opportunity 

• Like 1

Okay, am I the only one not convinced he's going to be a bellcow back. The guy is like 5'9" maybe 200 pounds. 

I know he got a lot of coin, but isn't it possible he was brought in to be the team's Tevin Coleman/Theo Riddick/Danny Woodhead/Darren Sproles etc.

Those guys can still be ppr studs, so this isn't so much a fantasy relevant point, but a real world football point. 

Edited by ajs723

29 minutes ago, FinsUp24 said:

At this point, it would be reasonable to assume that McKinnon will serve as the goal line back, right? Brieda is definitely smaller

Are big guys the only types of guys that can get in the end zone?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

All of this ^^^

With the new regime in SF, it is all about "fit."  They target players whose untapped potential can be unlocked through fit.  Look no farther than Goodwin as an example.

I have little doubt that we'll see a different (far more productive) McKinnon in 2018.  Every one focuses on his pass chops, but even his one-cut-and-go running style will be featured in this system.

Lastly, both McKinnon and Breida were teammates on the Georgia Southern team that humbled the mightly Gators.  Under Shanahan's creative guidance, this SPARQ laden tandem could be giant killers once more.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Okay, am I the only one not convinced he's going to be a bellcow back. The guy is like 5'9" maybe 200 pounds. 

I know he got a lot of coin, but isn't it possible he was brought in to be the team's Tevin Coleman/Theo Riddick/Danny Woodhead/Darren Sproles etc.

Those guys can still be ppr studs, so this isn't so much a fantasy relevant point, but a real world football point. 

He’s 219 from the sounds of it.   Basically shady size.   

If only he didn’t have Abdullah Disorder

grest athlete average football player 

1 minute ago, Rolling Thunder said:

All of this ^^^

With the new regime in SF, it is all about "fit."  They target players whose untapped potential can be unlocked through fit.  Look no farther than Goodwin as an example.

I have little doubt that we'll see a different (far more productive) McKinnon in 2018.  Every one focuses on his pass chops, but even his one-cut-and-go running style will be featured in this system.

Lastly, both McKinnon and Breida were teammates on the Georgia Southern team that humbled the mightly Gators.  Under Shanahan's creative guidance, this SPARQ laden tandem could be giant killers once more.

Lmao @ “SPARQ laden tandem”

6 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Before the NFL type cast players based on their size after 2010, RBs used to come in all shapes and sizes.

You didn't need to be a giant to run the ball in the end zone and you didn't need to be a flea to catch the football from the back field.

If anyone ever went to a list of the greatest RBs of all time and just looked up their heights and weights they'd probably be blown away.

Many might not believe me, but there used to be a guy named Barry Sanders that played football.  He could run, he could catch, he could get tough yardage, and he could break you in the open field.  He was a football player.  He wasn't type cast because of his size to only occasionally catch passes on 3rd downs when the team was losing.  Many would argue with you that he's the greatest RB of all time.  Barry Sanders was 5'8, 200 lbs.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

All of this ^^^

Myself and a few others don't have issue with fit, or more specifically PERCEIVED fit of Shanahan.

It's the fact that he's paid what he's paid without the production to back it over the guys that were just paid less than him.

If Lewis got $6 M Avg and Hyde got $5, there was no reason for the 49ers not to get JMcK for under $5 (or at least close to it).

This team is going from most cap room in NFL to overpaying everyone in a hurry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

Is he better than the top-end of the rookie pool?  No.

This is like when you find out your kids tipped the pizza delivery guy $20.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

1239 rushing yards / 879 receiving yards / 20 TDs

A floor for this talented RB?

A ceiling for this SPARQ extraordinaire?

Or David Johnson's 2016 stats?

9 minutes ago, psygolf said:

Is he better than the top-end of the rookie pool?  No.

This is like when you find out your kids tipped the pizza delivery guy $20.

As someone who used to deliver pizzas, God bless those kids. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

SF went from brilliant with jimmy G trade and signing to  wtf are they thinking with jerick contract. 

We have to cut the Niners some slack because this is their first real FA mkt and draft after having secured their franchise QB.  Lynch+Shanny are really a new duo to this so expect some head scratchign moments. :D

1 hour ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

You don't get paid for your combine workout on your 2nd contract.

You get paid for your production over the previous 4 years.

A smart GM doesn't pay for past performance. Only the future matters.

Just now, joshua18 said:

A smart GM doesn't pay for past performance. Only the future matters.

And yet we continue to hear the same combine and SPARQ arguments.... Despite it being years ago 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Impreza178 said:

And far less complete of a back 

far less productive 

he’s been mediocre with no shortage of opportunity 

He's been an RB1 over the period the last 18 games he's started (2016 wks 12-17, 2017 wks 5-17). Definitely not mediocre or unproductive. 

4 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

He's been an RB1 over the period the last 18 games he's started (2016 wks 12-17, 2017 wks 5-17). Definitely not mediocre or unproductive. 

Lol...can always count on you to manipulate and cherry pick stats to forward a faulty argument

mckinnon averaged 3.4 ypc in 2016 for 539 yards- over the course of 13 games as the starter.   That’s worse than mediocre. 

3.8 ypc in 2017 for a grand total of 570 yards.  Fine numbers for a COP  

Yet you claim paying him as a three down elite rb-  at a whopping 7.5M per....top 3 money- is a good move.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ajs723 said:

The guy is like 5'9" maybe 200 pounds.

5'9" 215lb.  Pretty sturdy build.  215lbs + is sufficient IMO.  We've seen plenty of guys in the 200-215 range have success too.

19 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Lol...can always count on you to manipulate and cherry pick stats to forward a faulty argument

mckinnon averaged 3.4 ypc in 2016 for 539 yards- over the course of 13 games as the starter.   That’s worse than mediocre. 

3.8 ypc in 2017 for a grand total of 570 yards.  Fine numbers for a COP  

Yet you claim paying him as a three down elite rb-  at a whopping 7.5M per....top 3 money- is a good move.   

I didn't say it was a good move. I said it makes sense for SF given his production, age, durability and fit for their scheme. He was criminally underused in MIN and produced when he started, especially last year when their OL wasn't bottom 5 in the league as it was in 2016.