Packdog

Jerick McKinnon 2018 Outlook

1 hour ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Myself and a few others don't have issue with fit, or more specifically PERCEIVED fit of Shanahan.

It's the fact that he's paid what he's paid without the production to back it over the guys that were just paid less than him.

If Lewis got $6 M Avg and Hyde got $5, there was no reason for the 49ers not to get JMcK for under $5 (or at least close to it).

This team is going from most cap room in NFL to overpaying everyone in a hurry.

Let's see the contract details before we decide.  Most of the contracts that Marathe has been negotiating lately have been much more cost effective than the sound bites suggest.   The guaranteed amount, how much front or back loaded it is, etc. make all the difference.

Perfect example is the Gary Gilliam deal.  The headline of "2 years, $8 million," for a crappy, back up OT had Niner fans complaining until the details showed it was really a one year, $2.5 million deal.

These contracts often aren't what they seem at first glance.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

Let's see the contract details before we decide.  Most of the contracts that Marathe has been negotiating lately have been much more cost effective than the sound bites suggest.   The guaranteed amount, how much front or back loaded it is, etc. make all the difference.

Perfect example is the Gary Gilliam deal.  The headline of "2 years, $8 million," for a crappy, back up OT had Niner fans complaining until the details showed it was really a one year, $2.5 million deal.

Excellent point 

I don’t think many of us doubt he could be effective.   Just the apparent overpay.

This is one of the few organizations where everyone in the FO and the CS is on the same page.  They have a very clear and specific development plan, and they are targeting the players that fit their particular requirements.  Goodwin is a perfect example of the process.  The Sherman and Richburg signings are entirely fit specific too.  No doubt in my mind that McKinnon is going to ball out in this system, with this improving OL, this HC and this QB.

Edited by Rolling Thunder
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

You could not be more wrong.

This is one of the few organizations where everyone in the FO and the CS is on the same page.  They have a very clear and specific development plan, and they are targeting the players that fit their particular requirements.  Goodwin is a perfect example of the process.  The Sherman and Richburg signings are entirely fit specific too.  No doubt in my mind that McKinnon is going to ball out in this system, with this improving OL, this HC and this QB.

Exactly what am i wrong about?  I think you are a bit focused on defending their acquisitions of talent vs the price paid for the talent. 

It's a head scratcher that u pay jerick a contract on the surface which is significantly more than what other highly touted FA rb's are currently getting.

Edited by dashoe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, vikingapocalypse said:

0ea747d1b933fee04fe4826369309fb7

According to profiler, michael is 147 to mckinnon's 155. Your letting @Iron-cock get in your head ?

CMike is 11 pounds heavier, and it's pure muscle.  He's built like a feature back.  I'm surprised the 49ers spent so much on Matt Breida's backup.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

All I know is I want Jerick McKinnon's agent.

• Haha 4

The Vikings kept picking up guys to put in front of JM.  I look at his stats and he struggles against good D’s, but his role in the passing g@me helps his numbers.

I thought he was looking at 3.5-4, so I’m going with overpaid.

Breida’s stats don’t impress, so I’ll go with JK as the ‘featured’ back.  He looks like 5th rounder... possibility 4th.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Exactly what am i wrong about?  I think you are a bit focused on defending their acquisitions of talent vs the price paid for the talent. 

It's a head scratcher that u pay jerick a contract on the surface which is significantly more than what other highly touted FA rb's are currently getting.

Sorry, I misread your post when I posted my original response.  As you can see, I quickly dropped the "you are wrong" part. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

CMike is 11 pounds heavier, and it's pure muscle.  He's built like a feature back.  I'm surprised the 49ers spent so much on Matt Breida's backup.

Let's see the contract details first.  The "real" numbers are often quite different than the fake ones.

19 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

This is more of a statement that Kyle and John Boy don't see Breida as a starter. I bought in early on Breida last season like a lot of us did, but he really didn't impress me as a starting running back. The McKinnon signing seems like confirmation. Of course there will be a competition, but it seems as though Shanahan sees McKinnon as a Devonta Freeman type. 

As a dynasty owner...I couldn't be happier. Would've liked the Giants with Shurmur but I'll take this.

Edited by LeeVanCleef
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Can someone explain to me how this guy got more $$ than Dion Lewis or Carlos Hyde?

Not even more... MUCH more.

He's younger than both.

Doesn't have the injury history of either. 

Better receiver than Hyde.

Perfect skill set for Shanahan's offense.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Sternes said:

All I know is I want Jerick McKinnon's agent.

He's obviously a Jedi

• Like 1

Wrong thread.  Disregard.

Although, for the record I was kidding about the backing up Bredia thing.  Joe Williams is still on the roster though.

Edited by Iron-cock

3 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

So the Cardinals released Tyrann Mathieu.

It will be interesting to see if the Jets try to sign him.   Todd Bowles was DC in ARI for awhile with Mathieu.  Bowles' stepdaughter also has a child with Mathieu.  Not sure how he feels about that, as it seems this is a daughter his wife had with her husband after she divorced Bowles.  Who know's if he's all like "My wife's son" about it, or doesn't care.

Jets beat reports seem to think the Jets wouldn't be interested because they drafted two safetys last year, but Bowles loves players that can play multiple positions, and blitzing.  Mathieu fits both of those perfectly.

I want HB in Dallas as a FS only. 

His ACL injury killed his ability as a slot cb imo.  He's not the same guy.

I love the jets young safety combo.  If I'm you guys I pass.  Spend the money on OL and DL.  Another CB signing would might make sense too.  I think Robinson (The guy you got from SF last year) has all the physical skill to be great in Bowles' scheme but he's a knucklehead.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vikingapocalypse said:

Damn big overpay in my opinion.  Guess only silver lining is they have the cap room and can get out of the deal with no hit after this year. 

4 hours ago, milesberg said:

Perfect fit in 49er land.  Really expecting a strong RB1 in all formats now.

I'm still trying to gauge his value in ppr format.  Right now I'd say locked and loaded late 2nd early 3rd rounder.  This guy could challenge for RB reception leader in 2018.   

9 hours ago, LeeVanCleef said:

As a dynasty owner...I couldn't be happier. Would've liked the Giants with Shurmur but I'll take this.

Love owning him in 5 dynasty leagues; was great to get him for nothing last summer when the Dalvin Cook hype swelled.

All that being said, I don't think McKinnon will get 25 touches/game in SF. I'd be thrilled with 15 carries and 4-5 receptions/game. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, milesberg said:

Perfect fit in 49er land.  Really expecting a strong RB1 in all formats now.

Outside of owning the top 3-4 rbs...after we add this rookie crop, there will be a plethora (three amigos) of rbs that will return rb1 production.

10 hours ago, theSPANKER said:

I'm still trying to gauge his value in ppr format.  Right now I'd say locked and loaded late 2nd early 3rd rounder.  This guy could challenge for RB reception leader in 2018.   

Worth noting at this point that Hyde's receptions per game kind of fell off a cliff once Jimmy G took over.  He doesn't seem to check down as much.  Holds onto the ball (a little too long, sometimes) looking for the play down the field.

Not that McKinnon shouldn't end up catching a lot of balls, or that he can't, just worth noting.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, theSPANKER said:

I think I’d let someone else take the shot that early.    He’s really never been a workhorse-   Some say he’s the new Devonte Freeman...but I see more Tevin Coleman, Ronnie Hillman, Amerr Abdullah.   Poor vision and rarely gets more than what is blocked.   Every now and then he throws up a highlight reel.   Averaging less than 4 ypc consistently is no accident- he couldn’t even bury Asiata on the depth chart. 

Late third is where I’d consider it in PPR.   But it’s early and camp/preseason could change that.

Edited by Impreza178
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Love owning him in 5 dynasty leagues; was great to get him for nothing last summer when the Dalvin Cook hype swelled.

All that being said, I don't think McKinnon will get 25 touches/game in SF. I'd be thrilled with 15 carries and 4-5 receptions/game. 

Yeah, I'm curious to see how Shanahan will utilize him. He had 2 weapons in Atlanta so he def knows how to use RBs and after the SB loss, I can see him maybe relying on the run game a bit more in certain situations during the game. Ether way, I think this is a really great landing spot for him and I hope McKinnon proves all the naysayers wrong.

23 hours ago, Rolling Thunder said:

lol, just looked at the contract on Spotrac.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/jerick-mckinnon-14507/

There's an out in year 2, but regardless, he's getting $12 M for the 1st year of this deal lol.

In year 2, if he stays on the team through March they'd owe him over $11 M if I understand the option bonuses correctly (very good chance I don't though).

Jerick McKinnon in the Leveon Bell price range of RBs.  Get outa here.  This team is spending money like it's stupid.

Rueben Foster held that D together IMO, let's see how many 30 point games they give up in 2018 without him.