Packdog

Jerick McKinnon 2018 Outlook

12 hours ago, theSPANKER said:

I'm still trying to gauge his value in ppr format.  Right now I'd say locked and loaded late 2nd early 3rd rounder.  This guy could challenge for RB reception leader in 2018.   

Let's pump the brakes until after the draft.  If no RB drafted, I might be coming around to where you are though.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, pikerbkb said:

This is more of a statement that Kyle and John Boy don't see Breida as a starter. I bought in early on Breida last season like a lot of us did, but he really didn't impress me as a starting running back. The McKinnon signing seems like confirmation. Of course there will be a competition, but it seems as though Shanahan sees McKinnon as a Devonta Freeman type. 

Shanahan tried to eliminate Devonta Freeman's role from the team before he realized he was dumb for trying and Coleman wasn't the answer.

JMcK looks more like Tevin Coleman type style to me.

22 hours ago, 96mnc said:

He's younger than both.

Doesn't have the injury history of either. 

Better receiver than Hyde.

Perfect skill set for Shanahan's offense.

Not worth $12 M, no thanks.  Yall can sign him for that money.  I'd pay him $4-5 and he passed on me to get $12 M I'd lose zero sleep.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Shanahan tried to eliminate Devonta Freeman's role from the team before he realized he was dumb for trying and Coleman wasn't the answer.

JMcK looks more like Tevin Coleman type style to me.

Not worth $12 M, no thanks.  Yall can sign him for that money.  I'd pay him $4-5 and he passed on me to get $12 M I'd lose zero sleep.

Respect your opinion as always, but the price tag indicates Kyle thinks otherwise. And I don't see the Coleman comp at all. JM profiles profiles in size, body type and movement skills to Freeman. Coleman is a taller, skinnier, straight-line slasher type.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pikerbkb said:

Respect your opinion as always, but the price tag indicates Kyle thinks otherwise. And I don't see the Coleman comp at all. JM profiles profiles in size, body type and movement skills to Freeman. Coleman is a taller, skinnier, straight-line slasher type.

He's a 1-cut back.  That's what the Shanahans love.

JMcK couldn't juke dead Stephen Hawking in the open field, he'd trip on his wheel and probably fumble the ball on the way down.

Freeman was electric, and was not a 1-cut back.  

JMcK and Coleman possess a lot of the same things IMO as far as speed, size, and running style.  They both profile as Shanahan guys on paper.  Freeman was an accident that turned out was much better than the hand picked product.

You're definitely right, the price tag indicates otherwise.  49ers don't seem to care about market value.  I'm waiting for them to sign a kicker to $10 M per season then everyone try to justify it to me cause that's what these guys are looking for.

Look, I'm a sucker for Torchy's Tacos.  I gotta eat it like once a month, I love it.  When I go in, I pick up the menu (or secret menu aha!) and I look at the price.  When I get to the counter, I don't say, "I love this sheet guy, let me pay you triple".  Nah, son.  I pay the price on the menu, I enjoy it, and I leave.

1 minute ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

JMcK couldn't juke dead Stephen Hawking in the open field, he'd trip on his wheel and probably fumble the ball on the way down.

JMcK and Coleman possess a lot of the same things IMO as far as speed, size, and running style.  They both profile as Shanahan guys on paper.  Freeman was an accident that turned out was much better than the hand picked product.

You're definitely right, the price tag indicates otherwise.  49ers don't seem to care about market value.  I'm waiting for them to sign a kicker to $10 M per season then everyone try to justify it to me cause that's what these guys are looking for.

Look, I'm a sucker for Torchy's Tacos.  I gotta eat it like once a month, I love it.  When I go in, I pick up the menu (or secret menu aha!) and I look at the price.  When I get to the counter, I don't say, "I love this sheet guy, let me pay you triple".  Nah, son.  I pay the price on the menu, I enjoy it, and I leave.

stephen hawking GIF

14 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

He still is, right? I mean, Freeman isn't slacking off or retiring now that he's got a sizable contract, no?

I can see how McKinnon could be viewed as a Freeman wannabe, and it's quite possible that McKinnon has a Freeman poster hanging up in his bedroom. That said, McKinnon stumbled into the spotlight last year with Cook's injury, and he did great-ish. If it wasn't for Latavius Schmuray, McKinnon would've done even better. Great to see a talented back given an shot and prove himself... at least some of the time... because really, I believe he only had 6 games with double-digit fantasy production (PPR). He'll excel-ish this year given more opportunity.

9 minutes ago, NYR Fan 116894 said:

So brieda and williams fighting for the #2 spot. 

Next!:D

7 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

lol, just looked at the contract on Spotrac.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/jerick-mckinnon-14507/

There's an out in year 2, but regardless, he's getting $12 M for the 1st year of this deal lol.

In year 2, if he stays on the team through March they'd owe him over $11 M if I understand the option bonuses correctly (very good chance I don't though).

Jerick McKinnon in the Leveon Bell price range of RBs.  Get outa here.  This team is spending money like it's stupid.

Rueben Foster held that D together IMO, let's see how many 30 point games they give up in 2018 without him.

I am not going to vouch for Lynch's ability to manage finances long term.  Let's not forget.  Lynch is a former player.  I wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't made the transition to ruthless guardian of the team's payroll, an attribute necessary for long term success as a GM.  Personally, I am not a proponent of the argument that no one in SF should care so long as they have cap to burn.  Cap rolls over, so dollars misspent in 2018 are dollars that aren't available later to sign additional talent.

Contract generosity aside, the new FO regime can be credited with two important accomplishments that have some relevance for our purposes.  First, they absolutely nailed their first draft, finding quality starting players beyond the early rounds, like Witherspoon in the 3rd, Kittle in the 5th, Taylor in the 5th, and Colbert in the 7th.  That haul was far better than Baalke ever achieved in the time he was there.  It shows that Lynch (and/or Adam Peters) may actually have some acumen evaluating talent.  

Second, they have proven willing to work hand in hand with the CS to develop very specific profiles of the players that the CS believes will experience utmost success in the particular systems, offensively and defensively, that are being implemented in SF.  Sounds like a simple, no-brainer proposition for all franchises.  However, we know that is just not the case everywhere in the NFL.  That very close cooperation between the FO and CS is good news to us because it increases the odds that our projections about a particular player's fortunes will come true.

I honestly believe that only injury can prevent Shanahan's offense from being one of the more productive ones in 2018.      

Edited by Rolling Thunder

3 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

I am not going to vouch for Lynch's ability to manage finances long term. 

You made 4 paragraphs. Quoting it will take up a lot of space, but I read it. 

#1 - Whole heartedly agree. Everyone saying, "you got the money, just spend it" seems to have forgotten they have so much money cause they been managing the cap tightly rolling that money over for past few years. You don't spend extra cause you can, else you're gonna find yourself up against a wall eventually and look like the Cowboys for past 10 years. 

#2 - Are those guys that good or did they just get playing time cause the team sucked? Witherspoon not even starting anymore. You also left off Foster (#1), Beathard (#3), and Williams (#4). 

I'm not ready to say they nailed it yet personally. 

#3 - very good point. If they overpay these guys it will be easier for us to project them as a pivotal piece of the team.

#4 - To each their own. I respect your opinion. I'm not there with you, but I've been wrong before. If you told me you thought the eagles would win super bowl last year, I'd have called you a drunk eagles fan. 

Getting 2 NFL starters out of a draft is the average.  The draft Lynch/Peters delivered out of the box was beyond impressive.

Not sure where your info on Witherspoon comes from.  He is penciled in as the starter opposite Sherman, and they traded their previous starter,  Rashard Robinson, precisely because they believe in  Witherspoon's ceiling.  He looks very good.

Eric Reid, a very good player himself, his a FA at the moment precisely because Colbert can play.

Shanahan coveted Richburg like he coveted Alex Mack in Atlanta.  Contracts aside, his addition, along with McKinnon's, greatly improve an offense that started to come together after Jimmy G. took over.  That dismantling of JAX in  Week 16 was no fluke.

Edited by Rolling Thunder

1 hour ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

You made 4 paragraphs. Quoting it will take up a lot of space, but I read it. 

#1 - Whole heartedly agree. Everyone saying, "you got the money, just spend it" seems to have forgotten they have so much money cause they been managing the cap tightly rolling that money over for past few years. You don't spend extra cause you can, else you're gonna find yourself up against a wall eventually and look like the Cowboys for past 10 years. 

#2 - Are those guys that good or did they just get playing time cause the team sucked? Witherspoon not even starting anymore. You also left off Foster (#1), Beathard (#3), and Williams (#4). 

I'm not ready to say they nailed it yet personally. 

#3 - very good point. If they overpay these guys it will be easier for us to project them as a pivotal piece of the team.

#4 - To each their own. I respect your opinion. I'm not there with you, but I've been wrong before. If you told me you thought the eagles would win super bowl last year, I'd have called you a drunk eagles fan. 

Kittle and Taylor are both good.   Foster has superstar potential but he's a knucklehead. 

11 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

Getting 2 NFL starters out of a draft is the average.  The draft Lynch/Peters delivered out of the box was beyond impressive.

Not sure where your info on Witherspoon comes from.  He is penciled in as the starter opposite Sherman, and they traded their previous starter,  Rashard Robinson, precisely because they believe in  Witherspoon's ceiling.  He looks very good.

Eric Reid, a very good player himself, his a FA at the moment precisely because Colbert can play.

Shanahan coveted Richburg like he coveted Alex Mack in Atlanta.  Contracts aside, his addition, along with McKinnon's, greatly improve an offense that started to come together after Jimmy G. took over.  That dismantling of JAX in  Week 16 was no fluke.

I'm not sold on Witherspoon yet.   Robinson wasn't a good scheme fit and is a knucklehead.

2 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Kittle and Taylor are both good.   Foster has superstar potential but he's a knucklehead. 

Knucklehead for sure.  Injury prone too. 

With a lengthy suspension looming for Foster, an overrated Malcolm Smith penciled in at the other ILB spot, and no clear cut candidate for the "LEO" weakside OLB role, guys like Tremaine Smith and Roquan Smith are probably in play at #9.

1 minute ago, Rolling Thunder said:

Knucklehead for sure.  Injury prone too. 

With a lengthy suspension looming for Foster, an overrated Malcolm Smith penciled in at the other ILB spot, and no clear cut candidate for the "LEO" weakside OLB role, guys like Tremaine Smith and Roquan Smith are probably in play at #9.

Yep.   You're going to draft multiple LBs imo.  Also wouldn't be surprised if Landry is the pick there are you need edge speed.  OL probably still in play as well. 

I'd call NYG and look to trade Armstead to them.   He's best suited as a 3-4 DE.

19 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

I hear you. 

Foster balled out, but at the end of the day if you can't stay on the field, I can't call you a great draft pick, no matter what talent you show when on it. 

Kittle didn't do much for me. I owned him on my team waiting for him to break out and he couldn't. He was the definition of playing time due to inferior competition IMO. 

Edited by Dreams And Dwightmares
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 96mnc said:

Yep.   You're going to draft multiple LBs imo.  Also wouldn't be surprised if Landry is the pick there are you need edge speed.  OL probably still in play as well. 

I'd call NYG and look to trade Armstead to them.   He's best suited as a 3-4 DE.

Agree with it all, except Landry.  I don't like edge guys who haven't demonstrated they can convert speed to power.  I bet Lynch is anxious to trade back, but can't count on it.

27 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

I went with Our Lads saying Dontae Johnson is opposite Sharmin. If not, that's fine, I got bad info. 

I suppose I can put you in the 49ers playoff bubble and I will be in the 49ers under 500 bubble. 

I've been wrong before, so let's see how this shakes out. 

2 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

I went with Our Lads saying Dontae Johnson is opposite Sharmin. If not, that's fine, I got bad info. 

I suppose I can put you in the 49ers playoff bubble and I will be in the 49ers under 500 bubble. 

I've been wrong before, so let's see how this shakes out. 

Wow, Our Lads needs some QC.  Dontae was PFF's 118th worst CB (out of 121), with a grade of 36.9.  Honestly, to my eye, he wasn't even that good.

• Like 1

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article205394094.html

The 49ers signed the running back to a big free-agent contract this week – four years for $30 million – after a season in which he averaged a ho-hum 3.8 yards a carry for the Vikings and scored three rushing touchdowns. By contrast, San Francisco's former lead runner, Carlos Hyde, averaged 3.9 yards an attempt in 2017 and had eight rushing touchdowns.

The numbers, however, didn't interest Kyle Shanahan, at least not initially. Instead he immersed himself in McKinnon's game film, and in his words, got "lost" in what he saw.

"There's so many things I liked about him, just visualizing how I would use him and the stuff that we would do," Shanahan said Thursday. "Even though there wasn't a ton of it, you've still got to see him do some stuff that we do a lot. And whenever he did, he excelled a ton and looked very good at it."

McKinnon, meanwhile, mostly served as Adrian Peterson's backup in Minnesota and started 13 games when Peterson was suspended in 2014 and injured in 2016. That offense was geared toward Peterson's hard-charging, between-the-tackles running style. Shanahan said McKinnon, 25, has the toughness to be a starting running back – "This guy is violent, doesn't turn anything down," he said – but his role will be different with the 49ers.

McKinnon, who played quarterback, tailback and some wide receiver at Georgia Southern, had 142 catches in four seasons with the Vikings, and Shanahan said there are times when he will line up as a wideout for San Francisco.

"What is a huge bonus on him is when you talk about the pass game," Shanahan said. "When it comes to separating and beating linebackers and safeties in man-to-man coverage, I definitely think he’s an issue for teams. I think this league, when it comes to third downs and things like that, you move the chains based off of matchups, which allows you to get points in the long run."

McKinnon said he felt that the 49ers offense was a natural fit and he noted what similarly skilled runners like Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman were able to accomplish under Shanahan in Atlanta.

“I see myself doing those kinds of things," he said. "For me, I feel like the scheme is right. The fit was just perfect for me. I feel like I can’t be in a better situation as a player.”

After emerging from his film session, Shanahan said he did look at McKinnon's statistics and acknowledged they didn't match what excited him on tape.

"And you go back and you try to see why," he said. "I'm not going to get into all the whys, but I know the stuff we liked him on – if I could just cut up those numbers I think they would have been good numbers. But when you take the whole accumulation of things, I think they watered things down."

• Like 1

too soon, bro. too soon

Come on now. There's definitely a salty tone to your posts. Almost sounds personal against Shanny. I guess I see something different than you do when I watch him play. He's got great lateral movement when he needs it. McKinnon can make people miss in the hole. Coleman can't.

Coleman can't do what Freeman can and McKinnon is more like Freeman. That's what I see. Shanny sees it too. Wouldn't have spent that kind of dough on a Coleman clone. 

6 minutes ago, pikerbkb said:

Come on now. There's definitely a salty tone to your posts. Almost sounds personal against Shanny. I guess I see something different than you do when I watch him play. He's got great lateral movement when he needs it. McKinnon can make people miss in the hole. Coleman can't.

Coleman can't do what Freeman can and McKinnon is more like Freeman. That's what I see. Shanny sees it too. Wouldn't have spent that kind of dough on a Coleman clone. 

You may be right. Time will tell I suppose. 

I thought Lat V ran and played better than him last year, but JMcK got paid, so what do I know. 

• Like 1

On 3/14/2018 at 9:04 AM, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Can someone explain to me how this guy got more $$ than Dion Lewis or Carlos Hyde?

Not even more... MUCH more.

Shanny really wanted him on the team and the 49ers have a ton of cap space, probably did not feel like screwing around with negotiations and just wanted to get a deal done quick. Either way the hype train has officially left the station

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

stephen hawking GIF

Tough old bird. Never seen anyone last as long as he did with LGD. 

• Like 1