Packdog

Jerick McKinnon 2018 Outlook

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, vikingapocalypse said:

 

Its the type of back shanny is really drawn towards tho.  He loved freeman, he pounded the table for joe williams at the draft, he made breida(another high sparq athlete) part of the gameplan.

 

Anywhere else, id be more worried for a COP role, which as a dynasty owner was all i was hoping for. Paired with someone like henry in Tennessee perhaps; But with this contract, and this coach, i have less reservations. I could see a scenario where he ends up an rb1. Not to say he will, but the upside is there with this landing spot.

 

To be accurate, he didn't love Freeman...he drafted Coleman even though Freeman was already on the roster and made Coleman the 2015 starter; he got hurt and the rest is history. 

 

I expect a timeshare, but one where he actually gets some GL work and more receptions/receiving yards. That alone gives him a low-end RB1 floor in PPR.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Matt Breida is our biggest worry here?   That guy isn’t big enough to climb out of a bucket.   

 

Id think Williams developing or surprise mid round rb pick would be a much bigger issue 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

In PPR it’s going to happen in some leagues.   Standard- late third MIGHT hold.   But it only takes one guy to think that SF is going to be special.   

 

It;s the former Hyde owner or mckinnon owner who will probably take him ahead of others in redraft. Both guys helped teams last season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said Jerick McKinnon is good on all three downs.

"We think he's a great third-down back," Shanahan said. "We also think he's good on first and second down, too." The 49ers signed McKinnon to a workhorse-level contract, and everything which has come out since the signing suggests they view him as the unquestioned starter. Shanahan has coached a top-15 fantasy back five of his last six seasons. Mar 27 - 8:57 AM

 

I think the hype train is running on the workhorse contract...

 

From PFF

McKinnon joins a backfield that includes 2017 undrafted rookie Matt Breida (4.4 yards per carry on 105 carries as a rookie) and 2017 fourth-round pick Joe Williams, who spent his rookie season on injured reserve with an ankle injury. While it’s likely McKinnon will get a plurality of the snaps for the 49ers, he’s never carried the ball more than 20 times in a game in his career.

 

I think Breida + Williams will get the majority of the 1st, 2nd & goalline work.

 

 

I'll take 20 touches per game for a  rb in the 3rd-4th round in ppr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

 

To be accurate, he didn't love Freeman...he drafted Coleman even though Freeman was already on the roster and made Coleman the 2015 starter; he got hurt and the rest is history. 

 

I expect a timeshare, but one where he actually gets some GL work and more receptions/receiving yards. That alone gives him a low-end RB1 floor in PPR.

 

 

That is true, but i dont think he knew what he had in freeman. Id like to think freeman opened up his eyes to this type of back being an every down type player.

 

I agree tho, i see a timeshare in his future. But it also hasnt stopped freeman from being one of the top rbs in fantasy. Not to say he will be freeman, but that is the potential, imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said Jerick McKinnon is good on all three downs.

"We think he's a great third-down back," Shanahan said. "We also think he's good on first and second down, too." The 49ers signed McKinnon to a workhorse-level contract, and everything which has come out since the signing suggests they view him as the unquestioned starter. Shanahan has coached a top-15 fantasy back five of his last six seasons. Mar 27 - 8:57 AM

 

I think the hype train is running on the workhorse contract...

 

From PFF

McKinnon joins a backfield that includes 2017 undrafted rookie Matt Breida (4.4 yards per carry on 105 carries as a rookie) and 2017 fourth-round pick Joe Williams, who spent his rookie season on injured reserve with an ankle injury. While it’s likely McKinnon will get a plurality of the snaps for the 49ers, he’s never carried the ball more than 20 times in a game in his career.

 

I think Breida + Williams will get the majority of the 1st, 2nd & goalline work.

 

So PFF says hes never ran more then 20 times and that means breida and williams will get the early work? Im confused how you come to that conclusion with these two blurbs given the money he got and what is being said in the first blurb. Has breida ever carried 20 times? Has williams even seen the field?

 

Fwiw: freeman has had 20+ carries only 5 times in the past 2 years. Alot of teams arent giving their main guy 20+ carries anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vikingapocalypse said:

 

So PFF says hes never ran more then 20 times and that means breida and williams will get the early work? Im confused how you come to that conclusion with these two blurbs given the money he got and what is being said in the first blurb. Has breida ever carried 20 times? Has williams even seen the field?

 

Fwiw: freeman has had 20+ carries only 5 times in the past 2 years. Alot of teams arent giving their main guy 20+ carries anymore.

Shanahan said. "We also think he's good on first and second down, too."

 

That’s not a glowing endorsement...  the way it’s said, and the other guys on the team, makes me think McKinnon will mainly be in the passing game. (That’s not necessary just 3rd downs)

 

Shanahan went against the GM to draft Joe Williams in the 4th round.  Hyde was the clear lead back, but Breida pushed him for it...

 

I’m not saying McKinnon will be terrible, but I don’t think he has the potential to be top10.  I don’t want him below the 4th (PPR).

 

With the way McKinnon has been trending, I don’t expect to draft him.

 

A lot of this is taking what little we know, and going with our gut.

 

 

 

 

Edited by seanismorris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, seanismorris said:

I think Breida + Williams will get the majority of the 1st, 2nd & goalline work.

 

No one who follows the team thinks that.

 

Williams may not make the 53.  Both Lynch and Shanahan are down on him now.  He has an uphill climb to rehabilitate himself.

 

Breida is Breida, a reasonably talented UDFA that is the perfect poor man's McKinnon.

 

Until draft day, McKinnon is the undisputed front runner for all down and distance, and GL, work.  If you believe that Lynch outbid the league for his services just to have him handle pass downs, you need to rethink.

 

Edited by Rolling Thunder
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep stirring up doubts and confusion over McKinnon.  We need to keep his stock as low as possible so we can land this high-end RB1 at a bargain price on draft day.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Keep stirring up doubts and confusion over McKinnon.  We need to keep his stock as low as possible so we can land this high-end RB1 at a bargain price on draft day.

 

I am really and truly going to shut up now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2018 at 8:07 AM, joshua18 said:

 

Younger, far less injury history, better zone scheme runner, far better receiver than Hyde, far more durable than Lewis, far more athletic than both. 

 

The bandwagon is growing.

 

Summary: McKinnon = 2018’s Enormous Bargain and Breakout RB1

McKinnon is not without risk. He’s never handled “workhorse” volume and seems small-ish for featured work at only 5’9″ and 209 lbs. Moreover, “on paper” fits never guarantee “on field” results, and McKinnon could fall flat on his face with a lack of track record. Lastly, the line, even with promising new center Weston Richburg, remains a bottom-15 unit.

 

But Shanahan and his RB1-breeding track record are well-worth betting on. Amidst an insanely deep draft class and talented free agent pool that included Hyde and Dion Lewis

, Shanahan would never have thrown so much dough at an otherwise lightly-used back, unless he has the utmost confidence in his fit. And whenever the RBs talents match this zone-blocking scheme, the stats have been enormous.

McKinnon brings the versatility, vision, patience, and lateral quickness to become Shanahan’s latest 1,500 total yard, 60+ reception, eight-to-10 TD masterpiece. If I had the security of Antonio Brown

 

(WR – PIT) as a Round 1 wideout, McKinnon would be my ideal Round 2 target.

As currently situated, he’ll have every chance at top-five, RB1 numbers without the same price tag. Should this backfield remain largely similar come July, consider McKinnon the latest member of my 2018 “All-In” fantasy football team.

 

Wolf’s Projection: 225 carries, 73 targets, 1,510 total yards, nine TDs, and 65 receptions

 

https://www.fantasypros.com/2018/04/jerick-mckinnon-fantasy-footballs-best-bargain/

 

I’m definitely in the “no thanks” on McKinnon in the 2nd round.  The 2nd round currently has D. Cook, and Fournette in it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No RBs selected by the 49ers in the 2018 draft is another clear sign that Shanny's all-in on McKinnon.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jnormy said:

No RBs selected by the 49ers in the 2018 draft is another clear sign that Shanny's all-in on McKinnon.

 

And silently shows some support for Joe Williams. Maybe they sign Darkwa or CJA? They still have a ton of cap space I believe. 

 

But I do really like McKinnon in ppr redraft. How can you not? Volume receiving role, and probably at least 10 carries a game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, boltup15 said:

 

And silently shows some support for Joe Williams. Maybe they sign Darkwa or CJA? They still have a ton of cap space I believe. 

 

But I do really like McKinnon in ppr redraft. How can you not? Volume receiving role, and probably at least 10 carries a game. 

 

How much do you like him?  He’s gonna go in the second or early third in PPR.   The hype train is just leaving the station 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Impreza178 said:

 

How much do you like him?  He’s gonna go in the second or early third in PPR.   The hype train is just leaving the station 

 

Which rookie rb's will trade ahead of him?  possibly barkley-penny-guice will probably get a preseason hype bump and depress the draft values of  some solid vet  wr/rb's.

I currently have him in the same tier as howard/mixon/drake/ajayi/cmc

 I think he goes 3rd and could even fall to the 4th now.

 

I'm rethinking my draft strategy, maybe it's time to switch back to zero rb or I can do the same as last year and go zero wr.

This  fantasy draft is loaded with talent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

 

How much do you like him?  He’s gonna go in the second or early third in PPR.   The hype train is just leaving the station 

 

I’ll have to see where he ends up in ADP preseason; he will not go second round in ppr. Probably third. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOVE McKinnon in standard, as he may be wrongly perceived as a ppr specialist by the fantasy community.  10 carries a game?  Yeah, right.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

 

How much do you like him?  He’s gonna go in the second or early third in PPR.   The hype train is just leaving the station 

 

I'm in for sure in the 3rd.  Maybe even late second.  Would have to do rankings and that's not happening for months. 

 

Perfect Shanny fit.  They paid him a ton.   Great receiver.  No other back drafted.  I could see 15ish carries and 5 catches per game.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dashoe said:

 

Which rookie rb's will trade ahead of him?  possibly barkley-penny-guice will probably get a preseason hype bump and depress the draft values of  some solid vet  wr/rb's.

I currently have him in the same tier as howard/mixon/drake/ajayi/cmc

 I think he goes 3rd and could even fall to the 4th now.

 

I'm rethinking my draft strategy, maybe it's time to switch back to zero rb or I can do the same as last year and go zero wr.

This  fantasy draft is loaded with talent

 

The only rookie rb I'd rank ahead of him right now for sure is Barkley.  Keep in mind i do not play standard, primarily ppr  with a little .5 per mixed in. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 96mnc said:

 

The only rookie rb I'd rank ahead of him right now for sure is Barkley.  Keep in mind i do not play standard, primarily ppr  with a little .5 per mixed in. 

 

4 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

LOVE McKinnon in standard, as he may be wrongly perceived as a ppr specialist by the fantasy community.  10 carries a game?  Yeah, right.

 

He’s a bit lower in standard but im coming around to idea of third round.  If I can get him as my third rb I’d be sooooo happy.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/25/2018 at 9:26 AM, seanismorris said:

The bandwagon is growing.

 

Summary: McKinnon = 2018’s Enormous Bargain and Breakout RB1

McKinnon is not without risk. He’s never handled “workhorse” volume and seems small-ish for featured work at only 5’9″ and 209 lbs. Moreover, “on paper” fits never guarantee “on field” results, and McKinnon could fall flat on his face with a lack of track record. Lastly, the line, even with promising new center Weston Richburg, remains a bottom-15 unit.

 

But Shanahan and his RB1-breeding track record are well-worth betting on. Amidst an insanely deep draft class and talented free agent pool that included Hyde and Dion Lewis

, Shanahan would never have thrown so much dough at an otherwise lightly-used back, unless he has the utmost confidence in his fit. And whenever the RBs talents match this zone-blocking scheme, the stats have been enormous.

McKinnon brings the versatility, vision, patience, and lateral quickness to become Shanahan’s latest 1,500 total yard, 60+ reception, eight-to-10 TD masterpiece. If I had the security of Antonio Brown

 

(WR – PIT) as a Round 1 wideout, McKinnon would be my ideal Round 2 target.

As currently situated, he’ll have every chance at top-five, RB1 numbers without the same price tag. Should this backfield remain largely similar come July, consider McKinnon the latest member of my 2018 “All-In” fantasy football team.

 

Wolf’s Projection: 225 carries, 73 targets, 1,510 total yards, nine TDs, and 65 receptions

 

https://www.fantasypros.com/2018/04/jerick-mckinnon-fantasy-footballs-best-bargain/

 

I’m definitely in the “no thanks” on McKinnon in the 2nd round.  The 2nd round currently has D. Cook, and Fournette in it...

 

And those guys will be gone by top to mid 2nd round at latest.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

 

And those guys will be gone by top to mid 2nd round at latest.  

Which guys?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's more Coleman than Freeman. A situational back that could be really effective in the red zone.

 

This is definitely Garoppolo's offense though. They're built to let him throw 40 times a game, the RB is most definitely just a change of pace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

He's more Coleman than Freeman. A situational back that could be really effective in the red zone.

 

This is definitely Garoppolo's offense though. They're built to let him throw 40 times a game, the RB is most definitely just a change of pace.

 

Can't believe folks think this.

 

Shanahan runs a balanced offense.  Always has.  Always will.

 

The decision not to draft a single RB should tell you all you need to know about McKinnon's role.  Also, anyone who followed the team closely last season knows that Breida is nothing more than a back-up, and that Williams quickly fell out of favor with both Lynch and Shanahan (such that his roster spot is squarely on the line this PS).  

 

Honestly, so much reliance is currently being placed on McKinnon that I bet we see a vet signed soon to add some depth in the backfield.  Breida, Williams (if he makes the team), McNichols and Mostert just won't cut it if McKinnon misses time.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where are all those who last month were so sure SF was drafting a RB? 

 

McKinnon is the main guy there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.