Sign in to follow this  
smeeze

Eric Ebron 2018 Outlook

On 6/15/2018 at 10:06 AM, wonderbread said:

I think 750 yards and 8 TDs is very optimistic. Maybe around 600 yards and 5-6 touchdowns would be more realistic. 

Thing is, there will be Doyle games and Ebron games, and choosing which over which seems nearly impossible, making neither an option outside of 1) injury, or 2) Best Ball.

Indy Star's Stephen Holder writes Eric Ebron "has been among the more impressive Colts" during the offseason program.

Ebron has been used all over the formation by new coach Frank Reich. "He’s really smart," Reich said. "And that’s really good because you want to use a guy with the versatility that he has and move him around and call all kinds of things with him." Even with Jack Doyle atop the depth chart, Ebron should see his fair share of targets in an offense desperate for playmakers behind T.Y. Hilton. He is a fine late-round stab in deeper leagues.

Jun 18 - 10:23 AM

Look, we've all been burned by Eric Ebron too many times to count in the past.  But now he's paired with Luck (assuming health) with a coach who uses lots of two tight end sets.  Seems pretty positive, is there any reason for hope?  Call me dumb, but I think he might have a chance to be the better of the two between him and Jack Doyle.

Did Doyle even play in this game? Just wonder if it's a case of resting Doyle so Ebron ate. Hard to say from preseason games how time will be split. 

27 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

Did Doyle even play in this game? Just wonder if it's a case of resting Doyle so Ebron ate. Hard to say from preseason games how time will be split. 

Good point.  Not sure, but if he's healthy, he's more athletic than Doyle by a long shot.

I waited a long time in the draft for a TE. Cook looks better to me than Ebron due to Doyle. I went with the athletic freak rookie in Miami. Same floor as all these other TEs in the 20s (zero points) and the sky is the limit.

Any chance in h e l l that Ebron breaks out this year?

Asking for a desperate friend who missed out on all the good TEs in his draft.

13 minutes ago, nb009 said:

10% chance. This guy is a big tease. Odds are he won't turn it around, but he's put into an offense that utilizes TE's a lot and they don't have a ton of weapons. Could be good for Luck as he gets back to form.

Probably a wait and see. 

19 minutes ago, nb009 said:

I actually think there's a decent changce he a top 10 TE.  I thin Doyle is supressing his value, but the colts will run a lot of 2 TE sets,  he might be better than Doyle, Andrew Luck doesnt have a 2 good WR, and Luck might be throwing short distance more than in past years.

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 10:41 AM, dannyz6969 said:

doyle is the guy between the 20s and ebron is touchdown or bust. id imagine ...

Nailed it.

I hate the TE position so much. After the top few guys, it’s such a wasteland. But after Antonio Gates’ goose egg today, I may just have to go back to the well with Ebron, which is something I swore I’d never do. I wish I knew how to quit you, Eric Ebron. :lol:

Apparently he only played 19 snaps today? As hard as the TE position is to trust, this makes him even that much harder to ever consider starting.

Sad that even with these 19 snaps, I would have one my matchup instead of going with Ricky Seals-Jones and his "juicy" Rams matchup. I hate TEs.

3 minutes ago, nb009 said:

Apparently he only played 19 snaps today? As hard as the TE position is to trust, this makes him even that much harder to ever consider starting.

Sad that even with these 19 snaps, I would have one my matchup instead of going with Ricky Seals-Jones and his "juicy" Rams matchup. I hate TEs.

considering the 2 game sample size, new situation, rz specific package & the current TE landscape.. Ebron is a every week TE2 with low-end TE1 upside.

The logical move would be to start Ebron next week. So naturally... he puts up a 4pt gem.

It's tough to figure out which TE to start week to week unless you have a set it a forget it TE.

13 minutes ago, THE_MAGIC_MAN said:

considering the 2 game sample size, new situation, rz specific package & the current TE landscape.. Ebron is a every week TE2 with low-end TE1 upside.

The logical move would be to start Ebron next week. So naturally... he puts up a 4pt gem.

It's tough to figure out which TE to start week to week unless you have a set it a forget it TE.

4 points would mean he amasses 40 yards, which is far from guaranteed given his low snap counts. I'm more worried about the 1 point gem.

The Doyle hype is a result of Jacoby Brissett not being good enough to throw to anyone else and 2016 Luck not having time to throw to anyone else. The dude just isn't that talented as a receiving TE. Ebron is the better talent and the opportunities will increase with time. Can't complain about back to back 10+ point weeks to start the season for someone who basically went undrafted this year.

Added Ebron as my Reed week 4 bye replacement and as insurance, if Reed gets injured. Two TD’s in 2 games as a Colt. I’m buying. Luck loves his TE’s, especially in the red zone.

Don't feel good about his snap share, but he's running routes out there every time he's on the field. So, I don't know why the defense won't cover him when it's 100% telegraphed.