Geaux Saints

Corey Clement 2018 Outlook

Shady or Howard makes sense. He looked good though so I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t make a trade. 

15 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

Smallwood had an opportunity with Clement on a reported pitch count but Clement clearly outplayed him.

Smallwood had an opportunity for fantasy relevance this week, but not at a long-term role usurping Clement. Clement was always the RB to own.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, sSektor said:

69 (nice) yards on 14 touches + a TD vs Smallwoods 51 yards on 20. And he was supposedly on a snap count. Looking like a solid waiver pickup ROS unless they trade for another RB.

4 or 5 of those touches for Clement came with less than 5:00 remaining and the D knowing the Eagles were just gonna run it up the gut to waste away the clock, which makes Clements production more impressive.

Smallwood also jacked up a handoff from Wentz that  almost became a turnover, and he was lucky he recovered his other fumble. Smallwood is junk.

• Like 3

Clement actually has a reasonable path to like 2/3 of the workload. He's better than Smallwood at running, catching, and pass protection. Sproles can't stay healthy at his age and Josh Adams is apparently a big JAG. Only concern is a midseason trade for an RB.

• Like 1

With the extended time off prior to their next game, it would seem that now would be the opportune time to acquire a more established veteran rusher (if the plan is to outsource), however Clement  would certainly hold RB2 value the RoS should they opt to stay in house.  

5 minutes ago, Szer0 said:

Not of any concern since the Eagles told reporters before the game that Clement would be on a "pitch count" since it was his first game back.  I expect that snap count will be reversed when the team next takes the field 10 days from now.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Szer0 said:

Even more impressive that clement out produced Smallwood. As long as the eagles don't trade for a star RB he's starting material ROS and I won't feel so bad about Howard and freeman :lol:

• Like 1

Not hating at all here. I own smallwood but I did have a claim in on clement first cause I did think he's the better talent. But you guys sound like the A jones owners. This is a split backfield. Sproles comes back he gets sprinkled in here and there. I do like clement more than smallwood even if he gets less snap counts. But regardless this is a cross your fingers and pray backfield.

Edited by StevenSC400
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gohawks said:

Shady or Howard makes sense. He looked good though so I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t make a trade. 

I personally really think that Howard could make a ton of sense from a fit and financial perspective if Nagy really thinks his system is so good it can outcast his teams best player. One of my friends is a bear's fan and while he doesn't like it he has convinced himself if they trade Howard the bears could turn around get Bell and become instant contenders. 

26 minutes ago, Jaw1 said:

I personally really think that Howard could make a ton of sense from a fit and financial perspective if Nagy really thinks his system is so good it can outcast his teams best player. One of my friends is a bear's fan and while he doesn't like it he has convinced himself if they trade Howard the bears could turn around get Bell and become instant contenders. 

What kind of ish is that? 

Dude's a decent in-between the tackles runner, far from team's best player.

11 minutes ago, Tutex3 said:

What kind of ish is that? 

Dude's a decent in-between the tackles runner, far from team's best player.

Seriously. Howard has always been painfully overrated. 

39 minutes ago, Jaw1 said:

I’ve been a huge Howard supporter but Howard > Mack is laughable.

4 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

I’ve been a huge Howard supporter but Howard > Mack is laughable.

I meant offensive player since Nagy is an offensive coach and his usage last game wasn't what you would expect from who I believe is the most talented offensive player he has at his disposal. Nagy seems to prefer more of a spread it out passing-focused offense which doesn't completely jive with Howard's strengths (although he has made major strides in passing game this season). 

Sorry to distract back to Clement. He played solidly but I'm not convinced it was enough for Eagles to not seriously looking into adding help whomever that is given they have championship aspirations. Until that comes though he looks like he could an RB2 if he gets a bigger share of the pie than today when he was reportedly "limited" or on a snap count. 

Edited by Jaw1

6 hours ago, StevenSC400 said:

Not hating at all here. I own smallwood but I did have a claim in on clement first cause I did think he's the better talent. But you guys sound like the A jones owners. This is a split backfield. Sproles comes back he gets sprinkled in here and there. I do like clement more than smallwood even if he gets less snap counts. But regardless this is a cross your fingers and pray backfield.

Sproles is 35 and couldn't even make it through 1 game. He'll probably get a couple of snaps a game or inevitably pick up another injury. Smallwood is junk, had like 3 or 4 bonehead plays/fumbles tonight and got outperformed by a guy on a snap count. Did Josh Adams even see the field? 

Clement RB2 RoS. The only concern for me is a trade for Shady/DJ/Bell/etc.

I only watched the first half, but to my eyes Clement looked much better than Smallwood. If anyone watched the Chris Harris breakdown video, I still saw a LOT of Smallwood running into defenders. Probably a 60/40 split going forward unless they make a trade. 

• Like 2

Agree that Clement is the back to own here....Smallwood just doesn't look like a very good runner to me.

It'll be interesting to see if the Eagles make a trade.  I mean, they're almost playing like some of the Patriots teams of recent years in that they don't really need a RB to pound the ball.  I mean, the NFL is different today.  They'd probably be fine just using Clement/Smallwood/Sproles.  If it were me, I might just look to sign somebody like Terrance West....He wouldn't be a bad guy to add to the mix.  

Either way, I think Clement looked pretty good last night.  He may not be a superstar but he runs hard, has some juice in his legs and has shown to be a good receiver.  In all reality he might be about as good as a guy like McCoy at this stage of McCoy's career.  I think the Eagles would be trading for more of McCoy's name than actual production at this point.  Not to mention the legal issues that seem to keep following McCoy....I honestly wouldn't want any part of him.

7 hours ago, StevenSC400 said:

But you guys sound like the A jones owners. This is a split backfield. Sproles comes back he gets sprinkled in here and there.  But regardless this is a cross your fingers and pray backfield.

To quote our President "Wrong."

Edited by Zak0221
  • Haha 1

Clement and Smallwood both are not capable of being reliable workhorse RB's for PHI.

Clement does look better than Smallwood though, but that's not saying a lot.

2 minutes ago, Pooskay said:

Clement and Smallwood both are not capable of being reliable workhorse RB's for PHI.

Based on...? Would you like to elaborate on your spicy hot take? 

Looks like this is the default response from Smallwood backers after last night's game: "Yeah Smallwood sucked... but Clement wasn't very good either! Doesn't matter, Shady's coming."

Edited by smeeze

8 minutes ago, Pooskay said:

Clement does look better than Smallwood though, but that's not saying a lot.

Clement only played 26 snaps ( Smallwood played 44 snaps ) and was going into this game with the coaches understanding he would be limited.

Its outrageous for anyone to take away anything from last night outside of these things:

A.  The Eagles Offense is back - Wentz looked fantastic ( most points scored in 1st half all season ) 

B.  Clement >>>>>>>>> Smallwood for any situation

C.  Eagles prefer Clement in their Red Zone packages as he checked in for all the first half Red Zone plays ( when the game was undecided)

D.  Clement was preferred clock killing back, he was out there for two sequences picking up two first downs in obvious run situations end of 4th quarter

SO what does that tell us as fantasy owners?  Clement should be usable and has fairly high upside in this offense as long as the Eagles dont trade for a starting RB.

Its laughable that people would watch last nights game and feel these backs are somewhat equal dart throws. 

Edited by Zak0221
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Zak0221 said:

Its laughable that people would watch last nights game and feel these backs are somewhat equal dart throws. 

A live look-in at the Wendell Smallwood thread:

Wellington-heads-in-sand-close-up1.jpg

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Zak0221 said:

Clement only played 29 snaps last night and was going into this game with the coaches understanding he would be limited.

Its outrageous for anyone to take away anything from last night outside of these things:

A.  The Eagles Offense is back - Wentz looked fantastic

B.  Clement >>>>>>>>> Smallwood for any situation

C.  Eagles prefer Clement in their Red Zone packages as he checked in for all the first half Red Zone plays ( when the game was undecided)

D.  Clement was preferred clock killing back, he was out there for two sequences picking up two first downs in obvious run situations end of 4th quarter

SO what does that tell us as fantasy owners?  Clement should be usable and has fairly high upside in this offense as long as the Eagles dont trade for a starting RB.

Not an owner of either of these backs, but

Loled at your complete dismissal of drawing anything from last night, then hard and fast hot takes.   

You don’t think any of your 4 points could change if Clement wasn’t “limited”?

and in what world does Pederson EVER roll with one workhorse back? 

• Like 1