Geaux Saints

Corey Clement 2018 Outlook

Salt for that wound, anyone?

Ajayi was also in the game for the 2 pt. conversion, which he scored on.

• Haha 1

I was drafting him a pure handcuff anyway, this game changed nothing, hes a cuff that you draft because ajayi gets banged up, shouldnt be starting him unless an injury happens

1 hour ago, Spyplane said:

He got one be gain and did nothing with the other four touches. He didn't put a dent into Ajayi with this game.

Agreed. I don't think he looked that great or offered anything in various aspects of the field. Falcons are a faster type of defense so maybe it was the game-plan to keep the clock going and run with Ajayi in the 2nd half.

That being said, Clement's big run was a massive hole (literally derrick henry could've fit through there.) What's impressive about that? He ran right into the guy that tackled him, no juking, nothing.

What's the deal with this guy? He's fine, but burning a roster spot for 6-8 weeks is most likely outcome.

• Thanks 1

I m a Bell owner without Conner.

Dropped Clement to pick up K Stills, was a Free Agent in my league.

No need to use Waiver.

Backfield has too many RBs.

I think Im dropping since I want to grab a qb so I dont have to start mahomes but I plan on grabbing him after waivers process. I would be surprised if any of my league mates burnt a waiver on him.

8 minutes ago, zen25 said:

I m a Bell owner without Conner.

Dropped Clement to pick up K Stills, was a Free Agent in my league.

No need to use Waiver.

Backfield has too many RBs.

Cool. Keep us updated on your transactions.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, stay_woke said:

I think Im dropping since I want to grab a qb so I dont have to start mahomes but I plan on grabbing him after waivers process. I would be surprised if any of my league mates burnt a waiver on him.

This backfield is an absolute mess right now, but I would not give up on him after just one game. Owners should have known that drafting Clement was going to be a long term marriage.  I've always projected him as a guy with a chance to have some standalone value in this committee but realistically, I projected him as a long term investment with the possibility of eventually passing Ajayi on the depth chart.

Based on snap count in week 1, it definitely looked like they were easing him in during the first half. He did get some significant snaps and carries late in the 4th and almost broke one for a TD. The Eagles defense kept this game in script for Ajayi. Any other competent opposing offense would have forced Sproles and Clement onto the field even more. Foles is trash and if it is true about Wentz missing more weeks, I don't think this backfield is settled just yet.

It doesn't look good for Clement right now, but 3-4 weeks from now, things could be different.

Edited by nonstopfan
  • Like 3

FWIW, both teams played terrible.  There was one run with Clement that the O-Line was all over the place - it was a gongshow.  Nevertheless, I think this was a positive for Clement moving forward, pretty much expected this.  Ajayi was solid.  Sproles was decent.  Clement is going to get his.  Hell, bitcoin dropped $1k over the past two days....it will rise back to $20k and Clement will rise back up to that Super Bowl performance.  This is a strong HODL here!  He is also a pure stash on my roster so I can relax - sorry to those of you expecting 'yuge numbers right now.

Edited by dudewithabadcat

1 minute ago, tootallball said:

High upside handcuff. Nothing more. If Ajayi gets hurt he's an RB2. 

I still don't see him as a handcuff.  I see him as having standalone value.  He had his chances to capitalize and get some mo' going but he stunk.  The team stunk too.  All in all, I don't think there is much to take away from this game for any fantasy player.  Just a brutally played game.  Typical Week 1.

48 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

This backfield is an absolute mess right now, but I would not give up on him after just one game. Owners should have known that drafting Clement was going to be a long term marriage.  I've always projected him as a guy with a chance to have some standalone value in this committee but realistically, I projected him as a long term investment with the possibility of eventually passing Ajayi on the depth chart.

Based on snap count in week 1, it definitely looked like they were easing him in during the first half. He did get some significant snaps and carries late in the 4th and almost broke one for a TD. The Eagles defense kept this game in script for Ajayi. Any other competent opposing offense would have forced Sproles and Clement onto the field even more. Foles is trash and if it is true about Wentz missing more weeks, I don't think this backfield is settled just yet.

It doesn't look good for Clement right now, but 3-4 weeks from now, things could be different.

I agree and thats why I plan on picking him back up. If someone really burns a waiver after that week 1 performance well then hats off to that team.

Tbh I think I understimated sproles impact. I thought the guy was way too old to be playing RB in the nfl but philly seems to want to give him plenty of touches in his likely farewell season, which is understandable imo dudes a legend.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, dudewithabadcat said:

I still don't see him as a handcuff.  I see him as having standalone value.  He had his chances to capitalize and get some mo' going but he stunk.  The team stunk too.  All in all, I don't think there is much to take away from this game for any fantasy player.  Just a brutally played game.  Typical Week 1.

Let's say he does have standalone value since they will keep splitting snap shares etc. Would you ever really feel confident starting him in a three headed backfield? I wouldn't. 

No way I'm dropping after 1 game but I get it in shallower leagues where there may be juicy adds on the WW. Last night was admittedly bad, but I never really expected him to be a strong flex play with Ajayi around. He's a high end lotto ticket though, who isn't completely worthless if you are forced to throw him in there due to byes/injuries/etc.

The amount of snaps Sproles got was surprising, but can he last the entire season? An injury to Ajayi would be huge for Clement but an injury to Sproles would also pump up his value, so there are multiple paths to fantasy relevance. 

Edited by owenmills

I'm holding. Sproles is old and Ajayi has a history of getting hurt. 

One week isn't gonna change my mind. 

HODL! 

I'll be wrestling with whether or not to hang on to Clement over another waiver wire lotto pick. Ajayi looked really good, and from what I saw Sproles has more in the tank than I thought, and the Eagles seem intent on using him. I know he's old, but the man can still run and catch and looked pretty effective to me. We Clement owners are definitely counting on an injury for him to become relevant. Though I was a little surprised when after being largely absent from play they gave Clement that crucial carry late in the game, makes me think the Eagles do have faith in him.

Edited by Poopyfist

18 minutes ago, kball09 said:

Let's say he does have standalone value since they will keep splitting snap shares etc. Would you ever really feel confident starting him in a three headed backfield? I wouldn't. 

Probably not but I am banking on the Eagles backfield being pretty fragile.  Secondly, there is no better options or better roads to being relevant on my waiver wire than Clement.  I honestly think Clement could rise within a three headed backfield - definitely not scurred.  Then again, I am not as well versed in Eagles backfield as I am in Patriots backfield.

I am cutting bait. The issue isn't with his week 1 role. It's with Philly's thought process in general.

I was convinced he would have high upside if Ajayi got hurt. After seeing last night, I think it would just be a muddle mess with Clement/Smallwood carrying it and Sproles working on for 10 touches a game. 

In other words, I don't think his value would increase that much if Ajayi got hurt. Now, if Sproles gets hurt, I think Clement has value regardless of Ajayi. Clement could then handle passing duties like he did in the Super Bowl.

• Like 2

Yeah, I have Clement in my 14 teamer and I'm considering dropping him for a Gesicki type to see how the weekend goes. I don't think Clement will be grabbed by anyone off waivers honestly, so I can double back on him if needed. I agree that he will be valuable if someone gets hurt, but the other two guys looked pretty damn healthy last night. This early in the season I hate clogging my bench up with injury reliant handcuffs.

Glad I didnt drop him for a kicker before the game started.... Cutting next week

1 hour ago, nonstopfan said:

Disagree completely. Ajayi is the better and more talented RB. That has always been known. Injury risk is there though, but the Eagles manage him well.

Sproles was re-signed for a purpose. He was always going to have the passing down role and returning punts. Clement slides back into his change of pace and handcuff role from last regular season. Clement wasn't breaking out last season outside of a couple playoff games. That doesn't mean it would become a common occurrence though. Clement can fill in for Ajayi and Sproles if either go down though. He is versatile, but doesn't excel at anything in particular.

Clement is a good handcuff to own considering the health of the two co-starters. And the offense will become more explosive when Wentz returns. Clement will score some TDs as a change of pace, but predicting them is anyone's guess.

4 minutes ago, jimithing11 said:

I am cutting bait. The issue isn't with his week 1 role. It's with Philly's thought process in general.

I was convinced he would have high upside if Ajayi got hurt. After seeing last night, I think it would just be a muddle mess with Clement/Smallwood carrying it and Sproles working on for 10 touches a game. 

In other words, I don't think his value would increase that much if Ajayi got hurt. Now, if Sproles gets hurt, I think Clement has value regardless of Ajayi. Clement could then handle passing duties like he did in the Super Bowl.

If that's your thought process, you're not listening, nor reading between the lines. If Ajayi is healthy, Clement is unstartable, as before. If Ajayi gets hurt, Clement takes all of his carries and probably gets 50-70% of the total (Smallwood got a whole lot of nothing last night, I would say Clement's outlook looks better than it did prior to Thursday). Sproles ended up with, what, 40% of the touches last night, because Pederson tried to get cute with personnel in a manner that didn't work at all?

2 minutes ago, MJ10162 said:

If that's your thought process, you're not listening, nor reading between the lines. If Ajayi is healthy, Clement is unstartable, as before. If Ajayi gets hurt, Clement takes all of his carries and probably gets 50-70% of the total (Smallwood got a whole lot of nothing last night, I would say Clement's outlook looks better than it did prior to Thursday). Sproles ended up with, what, 40% of the touches last night, because Pederson tried to get cute with personnel in a manner that didn't work at all?

Maybe, but we are going to see a lot of Sproles this season provided he stays healthy. The entire offense of the Eagles stunk in the 1st half and blaming it all on Sproles is misguided and incorrect. Sproles also had a crucial 3rd down play in the 2nd half. The running lanes opened up in the 2nd half and the entire offense looked better.