Geaux Saints

Corey Clement 2018 Outlook

1 minute ago, WaiverLooter said:

Smallwood might be the better bet Thursday but Clement longterm.

Exactly this. Clement is the long-term #1 unless the Eagles make a trade. Smallwood might be the better play this week because of health and short week.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kco734 said:

Clement will not be the lead man in this backfield. Doug Peterson is frustrating for fantasy owners. Smallwood, Clement, and Adams will all be involved. 

This philadelphia offence is just not what it used to be last year. I wanna get hyped up for Clement I’m just not seeing it.

Wonder if it's off the table to bring Shady McCoy back to Philly?

• Haha 1

There is no question about what the usage is gonna be.  Just go back to week 3.  Snapcount was 45/29 in favor of Clement but touches were even.  Now with Sproles almost back you would have to think its gonna be a even worse RBBC.  Clement and Smallwood have both proven to be a JAG when given opportunity to be the number 1.  So no reason for Philly to do anything but a full blow RBBC.

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, devaster said:

Exactly this. Clement is the long-term #1 unless the Eagles make a trade. Smallwood might be the better play this week because of health and short week.

Agree.  

Someone above said Clement is a jag but don't agree with that.  I think he's played pretty well when given carries. 

Hopefully last week was just Philly being cautious and trying to get him 100 percent knowing the had a short week.

Will probably still be a committee with Wendall, Clement and Sproles but feel like Clement has most upside of the 3.

• Like 1

Ugh, I just had to drop Clement this past week to appease my bye week issues.  Gonna have to spend some FAAB to get him back now!  Any chance the Eagles make a push for Bell now? 

Edited by cizastro

Obviously "MUST" own.  Philly loves this guy and remember what he did last year with Ajayi.

Just now, cizastro said:

Ugh, I just had to drop Clement this past week to appease my bye week issues.  Gonna have to spend some FAAB to get him back now!  Any chance the Eagles make a push for Bell now? 

Looking "unlikely" now.  Week 7 return to  Steelers.

2 minutes ago, meverett85 said:

In a vacuum is Clement a good enough talent to warrant a number 1 waiver claim in a 10 team standard league?

For the top running back on a Super Bowl team with the league's best offensive line and one of the most creative and innovative head coaches who won a championship in just his second season?

• Like 2

Just now, SharkSwimmer said:

For the top running back on a Super Bowl team with the league's best offensive line and one of the most creative and innovative head coaches who won a championship in just his second season?

Well to me it all comes down to touches....nobody is a fortune teller, but if the projection is a 3 headed RBBC along with the fact he is not 100% healthy.....

Makes me wonder.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, meverett85 said:

In a vacuum is Clement a good enough talent to warrant a number 1 waiver claim in a 10 team standard league?

Really though?  Smallwood has been far more efficient in a gaining yardage standpoint.  Smallwood did have a redzone drop and missed a blitz pickup last week though. 

But Smallwood is the same age as Clement but was drafted a year earlier.  Where Clement went undrafted the following year.  To dig deeper into their college stats Smallwood his final season (junior year) averaged 6.4 yards a carry compared to Clement's final college season (senior year) at 4.4 yards a carry.  Smallwood also was the far better reception back in college (yes a lot of this is scheme but I'm going off of the evidence we have).

It's honestly very close.  If Smallwood has a good game on Thursday he could very well lock down the 1A making Clement the 1B.

In all likelihood both Clement and Smallwood get a fair share of carries.  Right now though I  have to think Smallwood is trending a bit harder despite almost everyone on this forum saying otherwise.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, youngrice said:

There is no question about what the usage is gonna be.  Just go back to week 3.  Snapcount was 45/29 in favor of Clement but touches were even.  Now with Sproles almost back you would have to think its gonna be a even worse RBBC.  Clement and Smallwood have both proven to be a JAG when given opportunity to be the number 1.  So no reason for Philly to do anything but a full blow RBBC.

The touches weren't even. Clement had 19, Smallwood 13.

In a vacuum I don't think so. He will be leading a committee and it will be worse in the games Sproles plays. He will be a back-end RB2 (think high teens or so). I would rather preserve top waiver priority for a scenario where the backup dominates snaps (e.g., Gio if Mixon goes down long term or Ware if Hunt does) but all this is in a vacuum. If you are hurting at RB then you have a guy who will be a RB2 ROS available. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, meverett85 said:

Well to me it all comes down to touches....nobody is a fortune teller, but if the projection is a 3 headed RBBC along with the fact he is not 100% healthy.....

Makes me wonder.

Wentz is still trying to figure things out. The Philadelphia D had nothing been effective. Etc

But Smallwood is the same age as Clement but was drafted a year earlier.  Where Clement went undrafted the following year.  To dig deeper into their college stats Smallwood his final season (junior year) averaged 6.4 yards a carry compared to Clement's final college season (senior year) at 4.4 yards a carry.  Smallwood also was the far better reception back in college (yes a lot of this is scheme but I'm going off of the evidence we have).

All this is true--but it makes it even more significant and telling that Clement surpassed Smallwood. 

Smallwood has only 25 carries this year so we can't make much of such a small sample. Over 149 career carries he averages 4.3 YPC, the same as Clement over 101 career carries. Clement does average 10.9 per catch versus Smallwood's 8.8, but this is over 18 and 29 career catches respectively. 

2 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

Your correct.  They were even in yards though and Smallwood did get the goaline TD.

5 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

In a vacuum I don't think so. He will be leading a committee and it will be worse in the games Sproles plays. He will be a back-end RB2 (think high teens or so). I would rather preserve top waiver priority for a scenario where the backup dominates snaps (e.g., Gio if Mixon goes down long term or Ware if Hunt does) but all this is in a vacuum. If you are hurting at RB then you have a guy who will be a RB2 ROS available. 

Hmm good stuff. If he is projected to be a low end RB2 ROS I definitely would take the plunge....especially with bye weeks approaching.

1 minute ago, youngrice said:

Your correct.  They were even in yards though and Smallwood did get the goaline TD.

That's true but I don't think that is evidence that Smallwood will be the main GL guy like Ajayi was. They are both the same height but Clement weighs 12 pounds more FWIW. I don't see either emerging as the primary GL back. It will go based on who happens to be in that series. 

18 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Come on now, this is a little misleading:

-More than likely an RBBC approach; though Clement could lead it.

-Definitely not the best offensive line this year -- not even remotely close. At times -- it looks as though they aren't blocking anything. 

-Currently sitting 14th for rushing in the league.

-7th most sacks allowed.

Their offense is struggling despite all the nostalgic accolades of 2017.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

That's true but I don't think that is evidence that Smallwood will be the main GL guy like Ajayi was. They are both the same height but Clement weighs 12 pounds more FWIW. I don't see either emerging as the primary GL back. It will go based on who happens to be in that series. 

Agreed

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RoboFroogs said:

Ajayi on IR... Smallwood or Clement going forward? Do they bring someone in?

They'll split carries but if I had to take one it'd be Clement. They're probably both flexes with RB2 potential.

CSB incoming but I play the Clement owner in week 6 and so far the following players have all had season bests against me in this league; Conner (w1) Gordon (w2) Hunt (w3) Watson (w4) Brown (w5)

So lock in those Clement week 6 plays