Geaux Saints

Corey Clement 2018 Outlook

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, dudewithabadcat said:

I am seeing Clement and James White available at about the same time in the draft.  I am leaning White but Clement is going to get his.

 

I'd go Clement in a second. Especially with Ajayi injury concerns.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, dudewithabadcat said:

I am seeing Clement and James White available at about the same time in the draft.  I am leaning White but Clement is going to get his.

 

I dont see White's role increasing. He's played 3 full seasons now so we kinda know who he is. I rather take the upside with Clement.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, South Carolina said:

 

I'd go Clement in a second. Especially with Ajayi injury concerns.

 

22 minutes ago, Evincar said:

 

I dont see White's role increasing. He's played 3 full seasons now so we kinda know who he is. I rather take the upside with Clement.

 

agreed 100% up on those.

 

Clement is a cat that, if called upon, could deftly wrangle a full three down gig ... White hasn't, and never will - Hill will bang for a few weeks, then Rexy and Michel return.  

 

if all broke his way, Clement could be a league winner - cut and dried. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kdko said:

Sadly I feel like Smallwood will get some touches as well. 

If he even makes the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, devaster said:

If he even makes the team.

 

True.  If it's not him, then it will be the third guy in line.  The Philly backfield is like Washington's and Tampa Bays... a mess, and you don't feel good about drafting any of them, or know which one will hold value.  That being said, Clement's probably the guy you can get the best return on at his price

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't say any of those backfields are a mess. Tampa is clear cut and dry. It is Barber's backfield with Sims or Rodgers in the receiving role. Washington will be AD with CT in the receiving/hurry/2min role.

 

Philly just spreads it around a lot. But Blount did get meaningful carries last year and Ajayi is sure to see the bulk of the rushing touches. Really depends who they use at the GL imo. That will make things murky if they pull Ajayi on the GL for Clement. Sproles is going to be catching balls as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, kdko said:

 

True.  If it's not him, then it will be the third guy in line.  The Philly backfield is like Washington's and Tampa Bays... a mess, and you don't feel good about drafting any of them, or know which one will hold value.  That being said, Clement's probably the guy you can get the best return on at his price

 

I wouldn't say it's a "mess". Overall it's a very good/deep backfield with a great scheme and O-line. To compare it to Washington or Tampa's backfield is crazy. I think you'll see decent fantasy numbers out of Ajayi and Clement but don't expect RB1 numbers out of either. The system won't allow it. Ajayi could be a back end RB2 and Clement a nice fill in guy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back at practice - he is one Ajayi injury away from being a big asset for fantasy teams...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ludawg23 said:

Back at practice - he is one Ajayi injury away from being a big asset for fantasy teams...

You mean he just needs to maintain the status quo... Lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm curious if Sproles gets more run with an Ajayi injury. Reich limited Sproles touches last year and he's reportedly healthy now.  Just something to consider when moving Clement up draft boards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Magoo said:

I'm curious if Sproles gets more run with an Ajayi injury. Reich limited Sproles touches last year and he's reportedly healthy now.  Just something to consider when moving Clement up draft boards.

Unlikely. I think you'll see more of Smallwood. Sproles is one of the smallest players in NFL history coming off an ACL tear at ge 35, and his game centers on his speed and agility. I think his usage resume as what it was with a possible reduction in the early weeks as he's brought along gradually and preserved for the back jql of the season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Magoo said:

I'm curious if Sproles gets more run with an Ajayi injury. Reich limited Sproles touches last year and he's reportedly healthy now.  Just something to consider when moving Clement up draft boards.

Clement and Smallwood would handle most of the running work. Sproles has mostly been relegated to a purely receiving role.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2018 at 7:44 PM, devaster said:

I wouldn't say any of those backfields are a mess. Tampa is clear cut and dry. It is Barber's backfield with Sims or Rodgers in the receiving role. Washington will be AD with CT in the receiving/hurry/2min role.

 

Philly just spreads it around a lot. But Blount did get meaningful carries last year and Ajayi is sure to see the bulk of the rushing touches. Really depends who they use at the GL imo. That will make things murky if they pull Ajayi on the GL for Clement. Sproles is going to be catching balls as well.

Goal line usage will probably somewhat situational, but since all three can catch, you could see all of them catching TDs, and maybe some instances where the're on the field together. I get the feeling that Clement is going to get the majority of short-yardage runs up the middle. He seems to have more of a power game than Ajayi and less health concerns. The interesting and confusing thing about Philly's backfield isn't the committee, since a lot of teams are doing that. What's unique is that all three can be productive in different facets of the running game. That's great for Pederson, a guy who likes to keep the defenders guessing, but it makes for a fantasy headache, haha. 

Edited by EaglesRocker97

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ludawg23 said:

Back at practice - he is one Ajayi injury away from being a big asset for fantasy teams...

 

Might not even need another injury

 

10361.jpg

Jay Ajayi has been sidelined over a week at Eagles practice with a "lower-body" injury.

Ajayi has now been sidelined eight days. The exact nature of his injury is unclear, but the knee is always the worry for a player with a "bone-on-bone" condition. With the Eagles playing in next Thursday night's opener, Ajayi has less time to get ready for Week 1 than the rest of the league. If healthy, Ajayi should be the Eagles' featured back on early downs.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clement has to be one of the highest-upside RB stashes given the health of Ajayi and the dominance of the O-line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the Eagles have a decent offensive to begin with.  Team is falling apart.  If there is an able-bodied QB that can throw the ball, Clement is going to ball.  No idea why a guy who's stock was rising at the end of last season, played exceptionally well in the Super Bowl, and has all the traits of a decent 3rd down/Satellite back is getting no love in the draft.  Hell with Duke Johnson...this guy is who I want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dudewithabadcat said:

If the Eagles have a decent offensive to begin with.  Team is falling apart.  If there is an able-bodied QB that can throw the ball, Clement is going to ball.  No idea why a guy who's stock was rising at the end of last season, played exceptionally well in the Super Bowl, and has all the traits of a decent 3rd down/Satellite back is getting no love in the draft.  Hell with Duke Johnson...this guy is who I want.

 

No doubt. Clement does it all and Dougy P loves him. If Ajayi goes down he's a solid 1. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I own both Ajayi and Clement. If either one goes down the other one will be a top 12 RB.

 

I'd never wish injury on any player. So i'll just wish one of them goes on a missionary trip or something to Africa. It's a win/win. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, dudewithabadcat said:

If the Eagles have a decent offensive to begin with.  Team is falling apart.  If there is an able-bodied QB that can throw the ball, Clement is going to ball.  No idea why a guy who's stock was rising at the end of last season, played exceptionally well in the Super Bowl, and has all the traits of a decent 3rd down/Satellite back is getting no love in the draft.  Hell with Duke Johnson...this guy is who I want.

 

If people think like the bolded, that fully explains why he's getting no love. I think he can be a lot more than a decent satellite back, if given the opportunity. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, owenmills said:

 

If people think like the bolded, that fully explains why he's getting no love. I think he can be a lot more than a decent satellite back, if given the opportunity. 

The problem is with a healthy Ajayi he won't see the opportunity. At least not enough to even justify a flex position. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

The problem is with a healthy Ajayi he won't see the opportunity. At least not enough to even justify a flex position. 

 

Agreed. He's merely a stash/bye week filler until Ajayi goes down. I think he's one of the higher upside stashes though, because of both his talent and Ajayi's questionable durability

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, owenmills said:

 

Agreed. He's merely a stash/bye week filler until Ajayi goes down. I think he's one of the higher upside stashes though, because of both his talent and Ajayi's questionable durability

 

Playing devil's advocate, do we really think Ajayi is going to get the full load of work?  Highly doubt it.  We are in the age of timeshares.  To think there is a clear cut #1 running back is red herring.  It really comes down to what you think the split % is.  I don't like Ajayi has a full time back.  Blount had plenty of carries when Ajayi took off.  Those are touches that need to be fulfilled. 

 

How is Clement as an in-between the tackles runner?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dudewithabadcat said:

If the Eagles have a decent offensive to begin with.  Team is falling apart.  If there is an able-bodied QB that can throw the ball, Clement is going to ball.  No idea why a guy who's stock was rising at the end of last season, played exceptionally well in the Super Bowl, and has all the traits of a decent 3rd down/Satellite back is getting no love in the draft.  Hell with Duke Johnson...this guy is who I want.

 

1 hour ago, owenmills said:

 

If people think like the bolded, that fully explains why he's getting no love. I think he can be a lot more than a decent satellite back, if given the opportunity. 

 

Clement doesn't fit the mold of a 3rd down/satellite back at all... he's 5'10", 220 lbs and his player comp on Playerprofiler.com is actually Alex Collins. Clement could definitely handle 1st and 2nd down work he's just in a crowded backfield at the moment...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.