Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kidtwentytwo

Players it's time to give up on

Considering Nick Markakis and Eric Byrnes... More Markakis than Byrnes. His OBP is gawd awful. There is a reason he has 2 K's in his name. He is good for 2 every night.

Considering Nick Markakis and Eric Byrnes... More Markakis than Byrnes. His OBP is gawd awful. There is a reason he has 2 K's in his name. He is good for 2 every night.

ok ... markakis is still giving you hrs and sbs ... that would be dumb, byrnes is always a slow starter ... these seem like shallow league suggestions ... I want to know about guys that are actually droppable but have keeper potential ... like Edwin Encarnacion, Manny Parra, Edwin Jackson, Ian Snell or on the flip side ... jim thome.

Markakis is second half player.

Drop Markakis...and then watch him lead another team in your league to a championship, with his usual second half surge.

ok ... markakis is still giving you hrs and sbs ... that would be dumb, byrnes is always a slow starter ... these seem like shallow league suggestions ... I want to know about guys that are actually droppable but have keeper potential ... like Edwin Encarnacion, Manny Parra, Edwin Jackson, Ian Snell or on the flip side ... jim thome.

You are right, I am not in any deep keeper leagues. But there are reasons in a single year league to drop Markakis. He is 16/80 this month batting .200 He has zero steals this month after 6 through April. 22K's in 80AB's. He has little if any protection in the line up and is seeing nothing to hit. There are reasons to get rid of him in non keeper leagues, and to bury him on the bench in any league.

I hope this was a joke...on BOTH players....especially Markakis.

One person I have seriously thought of though is Travis Hafner. What makes the easier to drop is he's only eligible at UTILITY. Not including yahoo on this.

You are right, I am not in any deep keeper leagues. But there are reasons in a single year league to drop Markakis. He is 16/80 this month batting .200 He has zero steals this month after 6 through April. 22K's in 80AB's. He has little if any protection in the line up and is seeing nothing to hit. There are reasons to get rid of him in non keeper leagues, and to bury him on the bench in any league.

Did everyone seem to forget what Markakis did in the second half last year with NO TEJADA in the lineup?

Tom Glavine

more walks than k's now

Who ever believed in this bum to begin with...?

Jeff Kent.

my hole f'n team outside of volquez and today mcgowan.....

OK, I have to say something here before anyone does something they'll really regret.

If you are frustrated with one of your players, fine. By all means, bench them if you have a bench spot. If you can get 90 cents on the dollar of fair value, I'd say it's selling low, but if you really can't stand them anymore and the sight of them makes you sick, then you can *consider* dealing them.

But here's the thing - you shouldn't be dropping any player whose ceiling will *easily surpass* any of the WW fodder you are considering to replace them.

Already this year, we had guys looking to get someone in for Big Papi, or CC. We can all figure out where that led owners who pulled the trigger now.

Any owner who is considering just dumping Markakis, ask yourself this - is there *ANYONE* on the WW with the same ceiling or potential to do what Markakis can do when he's on? If you do, fine, then consider it.

But, if you are considering the latest flavor-of-the-week hot hitters who are at the *top* of their potential, then remember when they hit their cold spell, and you are watching Markakis getting hot again *on some other team*, are you going to look back at this and say, "it was the right move at the time"? Because, if the WW guy you pick up has *nowhere near* the ceiling as the guy you have now, then it's the *WRONG* move now.

An important caveat - if your guy is hurting, like Andruw Jones, or you believe his ceiling is not any higher than another guy you can get, then fine. But so many times, owners make terrible mistakes at looking at their slumping players (call him player A) and forgetting that if that same player A was on the WW and they had the WW guy on their active roster (Player B ), they'd probably gamble on Player A.

As an aid, maybe this thread can help - if after looking at your player more objectively, then fine - make the move. I'd just point out that one of the reasons you're posting here is to get affirmation of your move, which then means you should consider when multiple members are countering your idea.

(The above refers not just to Markakis owners, but owners of underperforming players in general).

both byrnes and markakis are buy low candidates...

i'd hold onto both of them. if they continue to struggle until the end of june, i'd sell then.

Kevin Mench

OK, I have to say something here before anyone does something they'll really regret.

If you are frustrated with one of your players, fine. By all means, bench them if you have a bench spot. If you can get 90 cents on the dollar of fair value, I'd say it's selling low, but if you really can't stand them anymore and the sight of them makes you sick, then you can *consider* dealing them.

But here's the thing - you shouldn't be dropping any player whose ceiling will *easily surpass* any of the WW fodder you are considering to replace them.

Already this year, we had guys looking to get someone in for Big Papi, or CC. We can all figure out where that led owners who pulled the trigger now.

Any owner who is considering just dumping Markakis, ask yourself this - is there *ANYONE* on the WW with the same ceiling or potential to do what Markakis can do when he's on? If you do, fine, then consider it.

But, if you are considering the latest flavor-of-the-week hot hitters who are at the *top* of their potential, then remember when they hit their cold spell, and you are watching Markakis getting hot again *on some other team*, are you going to look back at this and say, "it was the right move at the time"? Because, if the WW guy you pick up has *nowhere near* the ceiling as the guy you have now, then it's the *WRONG* move now.

An important caveat - if your guy is hurting, like Andruw Jones, or you believe his ceiling is not any higher than another guy you can get, then fine. But so many times, owners make terrible mistakes at looking at their slumping players (call him player A) and forgetting that if that same player A was on the WW and they had the WW guy on their active roster (Player B ), they'd probably gamble on Player A.

As an aid, maybe this thread can help - if after looking at your player more objectively, then fine - make the move. I'd just point out that one of the reasons you're posting here is to get affirmation of your move, which then means you should consider when multiple members are countering your idea.

(The above refers not just to Markakis owners, but owners of underperforming players in general).

Okay, I concede that you should not drop either of these players (Markakis/Byrnes), they are both excellent players with high upside. I completely agree with the above post, and I will mention that I originally said I was CONSIDERING dropping these guys, not that you should do so now.

Just be weary of both going forward in non-keeper leagues, as Markakis is striking out at a rate of 1/3.6 AB's as opposed to 1/5.7 last year. And Byrnes is battling nagging injuries and is 32 years old.

markakis is a second half player

"considering" dropping him is not a good idea. i realize that you didnt actually do it. but there are some things that make so little sense that even considering doing them is something that should be pointed out as not very intelligent. im not trying to bash you or start an argument or something. but markakis should not be dropped. hes not old like hafner or washed up like any number of other guys. hes in a huge cold streak. players like him almost always correct themselves before the season ends. dont even think about dropping him unless you're in a 6 team league.

byrnes is always a slow starter ...

Umm NO. Try actually looking at the stats. He's always a fast starter, slow finisher.

That Lance Berkman dude is fat and washed up.