Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kidtwentytwo

Players it's time to give up on

I really want to say Rich Hill, but I believe after his nice spring that he would really emerge as the second SP in that lineup.

Boy, so far, I've been wrong. Been wondering if I should drop the guy. I mean the Kershaw sweepstakes for my league is about to begin.

Helton, Konerko, EE, Kendricks (I know he might actually come off the DL soon but I'm getting annoyed with the numerous delays)

I really want to say Rich Hill, but I believe after his nice spring that he would really emerge as the second SP in that lineup.

Boy, so far, I've been wrong. Been wondering if I should drop the guy. I mean the Kershaw sweepstakes for my league is about to begin.

kershaws walk rate scares me....

but then again, so does edinson volquez' walk rate...still waiting for that guy to blow up...

>=L

rich hill had control problems in spring training too, no?

im not sure what was up with him...but him pulling his back just freaked me out...

Should I drop him for Andrew Miller or B.J. Ryan??? Or keep him??

You have a closer available in your league? What the deuce? Even in shallow leagues, closers are pretty much gone.

Also, I don't think Cueto belongs in this thread. I know people made the argument that Markakis was a second half player, but it was also alluded that he had a high ceiling (I think so as well), and Cueto fits right in with that argument. I think that he's got way too much potential and ability to be considered droppable. Besides, he's been decent the last few outings, not really hurting but not overwhelmingly helping. I think it's a sign that things are turning a bit if he K'ed 7 the start before the last one. Just me.

Hidden
Helton, Konerko, EE, Kendricks (I know he might actually come off the DL soon but I'm getting annoyed with the numerous delays)

not sure when helton became a 15 homerun hitter, but hes there now...

kendricks, for some reason, always has an owner...

in my league...we give names to guys that CONSTANTLY get picked up and dropped MULTIPLE times by the SAME owner...

our names are:

Corey "fuuckface" patterson

Edwin EncarnFuuckcion

Ty WigginFuuckton

Daniel fuucking cabrera

you can see our creative use of the F word...

my achilles heel had been:

chan ho fuucking park...

i was always adding this guy with every good start (when he still was with the rangers) and dumping him after he gave up 8 runs...hoping that he would return back to his dodger glory...

You have a closer available in your league? What the deuce? Even in shallow leagues, closers are pretty much gone.

Also, I don't think Cueto belongs in this thread. I know people made the argument that Markakis was a second half player, but it was also alluded that he had a high ceiling (I think so as well), and Cueto fits right in with that argument. I think that he's got way too much potential and ability to be considered droppable. Besides, he's been decent the last few outings, not really hurting but not overwhelmingly helping. I think it's a sign that things are turning a bit if he K'ed 7 the start before the last one. Just me.

i had a tough time dropping cueto, especially since i burned my #1 waiver on him....but hes just been atrocious this season...

hes had a few quality games and one dominating game (his first game)...but hes also given up a homerun in EVERY single game EXCEPT ONE game where he couldnt last a full inning...

of course, the next time he pitches a dominating game...im going to scoop him up...

but the HR/9 rate has me very worried about his potential because his current pace puts him at around 50 homers in a full season

kershaws walk rate scares me....

but then again, so does edinson volquez' walk rate...still waiting for that guy to blow up...

>=L

rich hill had control problems in spring training too, no?

im not sure what was up with him...but him pulling his back just freaked me out...

Well, Edinson Volquez, I never could have guessed. I could never guess Cliff Lee's start either this year due to last year's performance but at least Lee has had experience being an ace for Cleveland in '05. Volquez career wise with Texas was in the 7s for ERA, so I didn't think moving to a smaller hitter friendly park was going to improve on the numbers. Stuff was there, just didn't really materalize until this year I guess.

I thought Rich Hill had a good spring this year, but I guess his walks and control was still spotty. He was just K'ing people, and I usually think that to be a good sign mentally. I think Kershaw's walk rate is a bit high but if he can keep his hits down, he can look like Dice-K this year with the high walk rate and the low ERA. Just pointing out that high walks can hurt but there are examples where it still doesn't affect numbers besides WHIP. Don't mix my words, I'm not comparing the two. Kershaw has 3 pitches with a mixture of fastballs whereas Daisuke has about 100 million.

id have to agree....any 12 team league where a closer is available on the WW is just ?????

i had a tough time dropping cueto, especially since i burned my #1 waiver on him....but hes just been atrocious this season...

hes had a few quality games and one dominating game (his first game)...but hes also given up a homerun in EVERY single game EXCEPT ONE game where he couldnt last a full inning...

of course, the next time he pitches a dominating game...im going to scoop him up...

but the HR/9 rate has me very worried about his potential because his current pace puts him at around 50 homers in a full season

He does pitch at the Great American small park, you know?

I know you can attribute to Volquez not giving up HRs, but they pitch differently. I don't know, I thought Cueto had the better stuff than Volquez based on Edinson's stint in Texas.

Well, Edinson Volquez, I never could have guessed. I could never guess Cliff Lee's start either this year due to last year's performance but at least Lee has had experience being an ace for Cleveland in '05. Volquez career wise with Texas was in the 7s for ERA, so I didn't think moving to a smaller hitter friendly park was going to improve on the numbers. Stuff was there, just didn't really materalize until this year I guess.

I thought Rich Hill had a good spring this year, but I guess his walks and control was still spotty. He was just K'ing people, and I usually think that to be a good sign mentally. I think Kershaw's walk rate is a bit high but if he can keep his hits down, he can look like Dice-K this year with the high walk rate and the low ERA. Just pointing out that high walks can hurt but there are examples where it still doesn't affect numbers besides WHIP. Don't mix my words, I'm not comparing the two. Kershaw has 3 pitches with a mixture of fastballs whereas Daisuke has about 100 million.

the high walks can be a problem...

but yeah, there are pitchers who have high walk rates and CAN succeed...

randy johnson was a notorious walker when he first entered the league...but his stuff was flithy and as the years piled on, he actually got better because he was able to control his pitches better...

i know some pitchers would rather walk a batter than give up a hit...

dice k is one guy that has that mentality...brian bannister is another that comes to mind...though bannister hasnt been doing too well recently...

maybe volquez is another one of those guys.

id have to agree....any 12 team league where a closer is available on the WW is just ?????

I can maybe understand if Borowski was available and I can certainly understand if Gagne was there when he was closing, but BJ Ryan? Has he even given up a run this year and not looked overpowering? I think not.

Guys I'm thinking about?

Carrying Eric Chavez on the DL. Its a 20 team league dynasty, so the talent pool is slim. But my problem is that I already have the 3 maximum DL spots filled, and now I have Holliday, Chris Young, and Neshek all on the DL in real life, but no spot for them on my DL. And Neshek is the one that gives me trouble. He won't be available all year, but in a dynasty, he might be valuable in the future years considering he comes back in decent for. Is dropping him worth it in terms of say the 2 weeks or so it may open up a backup player (and not a good one at that)? I'm not sure at this point.

In other leagues, Konerko puzzles me. In shallow leagues, maybe Derek Lowe might be a candidate at this point, but I think he can still turn it around.

He does pitch at the Great American small park, you know?

I know you can attribute to Volquez not giving up HRs, but they pitch differently. I don't know, I thought Cueto had the better stuff than Volquez based on Edinson's stint in Texas.

volquez was not supposed to be anything special because of cueto...and most people just wrote him off coming into the season.

he had stuff but most people were projecting him to have cuetos numbers and for cueto to have volquez numbers...

=T

funny how things turn out

yeah, cueto is a flyball pitcher...but the 50+ HR pace is just mind boggling...

volquez was not supposed to be anything special because of cueto...and most people just wrote him off coming into the season.

he had stuff but most people were projecting him to have cuetos numbers and for cueto to have volquez numbers...

=T

funny how things turn out

yeah, cueto is a flyball pitcher...but the 50+ HR pace is just mind boggling...

Uh, I'm pretty sure the prized prospect in the Reds was Mr. Bailey.

But hey, I could be wrong.

Uh, I'm pretty sure the prized prospect in the Reds was Mr. Bailey.

But hey, I could be wrong.

homer bailey was last year...

this year its all about the cueto and jay bruce kool-aid!

=D

And Joey Votto.

Most people over-looked Volquez because he was a fly ball pitcher, and that wasn't a good combination in Cincy, as evidenced by how Cueto has done. But for some reason Volquez has become a groundball pitcher with the Reds, as his GB% is 15-20% higher than it has been in the past, which thus limits the HRs.

His main problem is what used to dog a lot of young pitchers. They walk a decent amount of batters, and give up HRs, and because of the walks, most of the HRs weren't solo shots. But so far this year, his BB rates are similar to what he's been throwing for his career, but he isn't giving up the HRs. He's getting a lot more groundballs, which no one saw coming.

If he keeps up his groundball rate, he'll be really good. If not, he'll regress IMO somewhat similar to how Cueto has.

I suppose Manny Corpas is way overdue...but, he was actually a waiver wire pickup for me, and has done solid since I added him. Unfortunately, there haven't been save chances for him (damn you Fuentes!), but there aren't really any other relievers on the WW in my league that can get saves.

I'm just gonna throw the name out there to get a response...because I was pondering it myself. What do you guys think about Victorino? He's gotten off to a very slow start, but either way will still be good for steals. I just don't know if he's truly worthy of a roster spot though.

i think some players on this list is more like a buy low player,

Butler is a solid player and will end up hitting over .300 when the season ends,

Konerko , swisher the white sox power will kick in when it gets hot and they play at home.

Maybe on Swisher and Konerko, but Butler has show n next to NO power what so ever.

And with his lineup, 70 Runs and 70 RBI are about as good as it gets.

I'd be dropping him, even if he can hit .300. A ton of guys can and are hitting .300 right now, that are vastly outperforming Butler.

here are guys i dropped at various points this season, in time order:

andruw jones for carlos quentin

rich hill for cliff lee

gary sheffield for milton bradley

johnny cueto for greg smith

Nice moves. I like this thread. Patience in some cases is not the answer...

Not that I would ever consider dropping him, but I'm a little worried about Felix Hernandez. Also, I say Rios gets going some time in late June, but I don't see him blasting off for a couple of weeks at least. He's just starting to bloop some singles right now. I'm worried about him. If only the dudes in my league knew to do a package deal for those two, they'd get pretty good value right now. I predicted that Corey Hart would go on a tear starting in Boston (and I was right), so here's to hoping my instincts are right on Rios (That he gets going in June).

I gave up on D. Lowe.

I'm holding on to Cueto because of the potential.

I am monitoring Lowe and if Cueto keeps this up....

would it be wise to let Swisher loose as this point to add someone like Chase Headley or Kouz?

I had Headley after our draft but dropped him when he was sent down. Kouz was just released, I think

by an owner who had one or two guys coming back off of the DL. Would you drop Swisher? If so,

for Headley or Kouz? Or other hitters you think could be available and would be better options??

thanks.