The Answer

Kenny Golladay 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

Just now, pastorofmuppets2 said:

so many hilarious/wrong takes from last week :lol:

this thread is Gold, Jerry ... GOLD!

I do not think anyone said he was a must-start last week. The argument was for dropping a player that is the unquestioned #1 WR on his team; seeing ample targets; and was currently a top 20 WR in PPR. And even with his dud last week, it would still be foolish to drop such a player. 

But good for you that he had a bad week and you can come in here and have your laughs. We are all very proud of you. 

• Haha 1

Kenny Golladay is awesome. Unfortunately his QB is a trash monster and his offensive coordinator is a sniffer of glue. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, yossarian said:

Kenny Golladay is awesome. Unfortunately his QB is a trash monster and his offensive coordinator is a sniffer of glue 

Jim Bob Ramone?

1-2-3-4, Kenny gonna bust some more ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm going to be rolling him out this week. No particular reason, objectively. Just a lack of better options for my WR2 slot (Zay Jones, Josh Reynolds) and a subjective sense that he could have a decent week, bordering on stubbornness. I'm fine with KG being my hill to die on. 

Edited by n00chness

On 12/11/2018 at 12:42 PM, pastorofmuppets2 said:

Jim Bob Ramone?

1-2-3-4, Kenny gonna bust some more ...

We have tried to warn the masses, pastor. Many are stubborn. 

I tried warning the masses on Matt Ryan and James White too.  

On 12/11/2018 at 12:34 PM, Grayson2401 said:

I do not think anyone said he was a must-start last week. The argument was for dropping a player that is the unquestioned #1 WR on his team; seeing ample targets; and was currently a top 20 WR in PPR. And even with his dud last week, it would still be foolish to drop such a player. 

But good for you that he had a bad week and you can come in here and have your laughs. We are all very proud of you. 

But I hope you can understand why dropping him is not a bad thing.  If you are not going to play him because you feel reasonably certain he will be ineffective, why not drop him?  If your opponent picks him and plays him against you are you going to be upset to see 1.5 points his final score?  Not me.....I’d be smiling ear to ear praising the Lord for this guys stupidity for not being able to see the writing on the wall. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, TennisMenace said:

We have tried to warn the masses, pastor. Many are stubborn. 

I tried warning the masses on Matt Ryan and James White too.  

But I hope you can understand why dropping him is not a bad thing.  If you are not going to play him because you feel reasonably certain he will be ineffective, why not drop him?  If your opponent picks him and plays him against you are you going to be upset to see 1.5 points his final score?  Not me.....I’d be smiling ear to ear praising the Lord for this guys stupidity for not being able to see the writing on the wall. 

It all depends on your league size. 

8 teams: sure

10 teams: maybe but have a hard time imagining there are many better options; most all waiver options will be inconsistent and likely not the team's #1 

12+ teams: no

What is the writing on the wall? Everyone knows Stafford has been horrible. He (Kenny) had a rough stretch earlier this season and rebounded with 3 solid weeks in a row. He has thrown up two duds since but is still the unquestioned #1 on his team. If an opponent picks him up there is just a good chance of him putting up 1.5 as there is 20-25. 

Would I be excited to start him? No way. I would hope I have better options. 

4 minutes ago, Grayson2401 said:

It all depends on your league size. 

8 teams: sure

10 teams: maybe but have a hard time imagining there are many better options; most all waiver options will be inconsistent and likely not the team's #1 

12+ teams: no

What is the writing on the wall? Everyone knows Stafford has been horrible. He (Kenny) had a rough stretch earlier this season and rebounded with 3 solid weeks in a row. He has thrown up two duds since but is still the unquestioned #1 on his team. If an opponent picks him up there is just a good chance of him putting up 1.5 as there is 20-25. 

Would I be excited to start him? No way. I would hope I have better options. 

Writing on the wall includes the ABSOLUTE HORRIBLE MATCH UPS WE ALL KNEW HE HAS last three weeks of the season. Do you really think he will do well ag DWhite of the Bills this week? Did u really feel that confident ag PPeterson  last week?  And what about ag Howard in week 16? 

Edited by TennisMenace

1 minute ago, TennisMenace said:

Writing on the wall includes the ABSOLUTE HORRIBLE MATCH UPS WE ALL KNEW HE HAS last three weeks of the season. Do you really think he will do well ag DWhite of the Bills this week? Did u really feel that confident ag PPeterson  last week?  And what about ag Howard in week 16? 

Of course not. The matchups are not great by any stretch but that does not mean he cannot still put up numbers. 

Players underachieve in easy matchups while some overachieve in difficult matchups every single week. 

I think as your league size increases, you cannot worry as much about matchups because your options become very limited. 

I would look toward other options this week but if he sees 8+ targets and puts up decent numbers, he becomes much easier to consider the following week. 

What other guys are realistically available that have a chance to see double digit targets. 

spit the bait @TennisMenace - this is some stinky ish you're fallin' for ...

"there's no stoppin' this cretin from floppin'/you're gonna catch a beatin' if ya start this lousy cretin"

13 minutes ago, Grayson2401 said:

Of course not. The matchups are not great by any stretch but that does not mean he cannot still put up numbers. 

Players underachieve in easy matchups while some overachieve in difficult matchups every single week. 

I think as your league size increases, you cannot worry as much about matchups because your options become very limited. 

I would look toward other options this week but if he sees 8+ targets and puts up decent numbers, he becomes much easier to consider the following week. 

What other guys are realistically available that have a chance to see double digit targets. 

I jibe with this. And for what it's worth. I don't think Stafford has been absolutely horrible, I think they traded Tate and integral part of the offense that helped sustain drives, and then lost Marvin Jones someone he always had great chemistry with - AND the oline hasn't played as well as past years. It's just not Detroit's year, but Golladay is still the clear number target from a capable QB. He's been on the downtrend from a confident WR2 to a startable WR3. I too will be rolling him out for lack of options. There is still a lot to like about the Staff-Goll chemistry we have seen this year.

I don’t really have much better options.  Would any of you start Dede Westbrook, Sutton, Hamilton, or Foster over Kenny? Sad that it has come to this.  This guy should be much more. 

What do we expect this week? He has struggled the last two weeks but he also had several good games without Marvin Jones and Tate prior to the last two weeks (5/90, 8/113/1, 6/78/1) so he has shown he can produce as the number one receiver.

3 minutes ago, dlionsfan901 said:

I don’t really have much better options.  Would any of you start Dede Westbrook, Sutton, Hamilton, or Foster over Kenny? Sad that it has come to this.  This guy should be much more. 

Just dropped Kenny for Dede..I would start all but Sutton over Kenny.

7 minutes ago, dlionsfan901 said:

Nah.

6 minutes ago, dlionsfan901 said:

in part, ranking golladay in this mix depends on if you're looking for safe floor vs high ceiling. i like hamilton for a safe floor in PPR. he's slipped into sanders' position neatly and keenum is slot-happy.

4 minutes ago, Sean Tambo said:

Just dropped Kenny for Dede..I would start all but Sutton over Kenny.

kessler went 23/45 against the titans because they were playing from behind. considering the fourth string QB in washington, a decimated offensive line, and zero help at receiving positions, it is entirely plausible that jacksonville run the ball nonstop and kessler attempts 20 passes.

we all know how good tre'davious white is, however i'd go kenny golladay over dede in this scenario.

12 minutes ago, Sack Exchange said:

in part, ranking golladay in this mix depends on if you're looking for safe floor vs high ceiling. i like hamilton for a safe floor in PPR. he's slipped into sanders' position neatly and keenum is slot-happy.

kessler went 23/45 against the titans because they were playing from behind. considering the fourth string QB in washington, a decimated offensive line, and zero help at receiving positions, it is entirely plausible that jacksonville run the ball nonstop and kessler attempts 20 passes.

we all know how good tre'davious white is, however i'd go kenny golladay over dede in this scenario.

I 100% with you here...I just needed to dump Kenny so I didnt talk myself into playing him, once again..I like the Kessler /Westbook chemistry, but actually starting D.Hamilton or Williams if Ware is out hopefully 

2 hours ago, Grayson2401 said:

I play in 10 team.  Well, played....I got eliminated this week with a heartbreaking loss with Cook scoring a meaningless td with one minute left.  Why was he even in there? 

I went with Zay Jones because I figured he would get 10 or thereabouts targets, and he did get 9. Too bad he dropped two ( I heard). My other choice was DJ Moore who usually gets 8 and I believe he got that. 

As for KG, I know his qb wants to hand off or dump off so I see no reason to even own KG these last 3 games. Plenty of waiver guys who will otscore kg this week. 

1 minute ago, TennisMenace said:

I play in 10 team.  Well, played....I got eliminated this week with a heartbreaking loss with Cook scoring a meaningless td with one minute left.  Why was he even in there? 

I went with Zay Jones because I figured he would get 10 or thereabouts targets, and he did get 9. Too bad he dropped two ( I heard). My other choice was DJ Moore who usually gets 8 and I believe he got that. 

As for KG, I know his qb wants to hand off or dump off so I see no reason to even own KG these last 3 games. Plenty of waiver guys who will otscore kg this week. 

To be fair, those guys are their team's #1 WR. They are good/decent options and unlikely either is available on the wire in 10 team leagues. That being said, they have been extremely inconsistent on the year (similar to KG). DJ has been trending up lately but whether that was short term variance or actual progression is yet to be seen. 

There certainly could be guys on the waiver that outscore Kenny this week but this happens every week. Pascal, Robby Anderson, Robert Foster, Jamison Crowder, etc. (I could go on) all outscored the likes of Hopkins, Cooks, Thielan, Gordon, Fitz, Diggs, Boyd, etc. 

It happens. But it is more of a gamble trying to pick WRs (off waivers) based on matchups and hoping they see an abundance of targets and/or capitalize on the targets. Neither is assured with guys on the waiver. 

I am not trying to argue Kenny is a good play this week. He is not. I just think he is far from a drop in most (bigger) leagues. 

I like him, and obviously the talent is there, but there are waiver WRs in any 10-teamer right now that I'd feel more confident starting than him the next two weeks.

6 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

I like him, and obviously the talent is there, but there are waiver WRs in any 10-teamer right now that I'd feel more confident starting than him the next two weeks.

I can see that in 10 teamers. My 12s don't have any dudes like that. It's Golladay or Boyd for me, haven't decided yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grayson2401 said:

To be fair, those guys are their team's #1 WR. They are good/decent options and unlikely either is available on the wire in 10 team leagues. That being said, they have been extremely inconsistent on the year (similar to KG). DJ has been trending up lately but whether that was short term variance or actual progression is yet to be seen. 

There certainly could be guys on the waiver that outscore Kenny this week but this happens every week. Pascal, Robby Anderson, Robert Foster, Jamison Crowder, etc. (I could go on) all outscored the likes of Hopkins, Cooks, Thielan, Gordon, Fitz, Diggs, Boyd, etc. 

It happens. But it is more of a gamble trying to pick WRs (off waivers) based on matchups and hoping they see an abundance of targets and/or capitalize on the targets. Neither is assured with guys on the waiver. 

I am not trying to argue Kenny is a good play this week. He is not. I just think he is far from a drop in most (bigger) leagues. 

Are you inserting him? Who are your choices? 

1 hour ago, Grayson2401 said:

If he's not a drop, which in larger leagues I can certainly understand, that means either you're considering starting him, you don't want an opponent starting him, or he's essentially your next receiver up should one of your starters get hurt. Because we're only talking about two weeks here. If this was week 6 and his next two weeks were tough of course he's not a drop, but personally I'd rather roster a RB that could become the guy if the starter goes down, a Defense with a good matchup, or a WR on waivers with a good week 15 and or 16 matchup.

4 minutes ago, TennisMenace said:

Are you inserting him? Who are your choices? 

I am but have no other choices due to injuries and lack of available options on waivers. I do not feel good about it but it is not as if nobody has produced against BUF this season. 

2 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

If he's not a drop, which in larger leagues I can certainly understand, that means either you're considering starting him, you don't want an opponent starting him, or he's essentially your next receiver up should one of your starters get hurt. Because we're only talking about two weeks here. If this was week 6 and his next two weeks were tough of course he's not a drop, but personally I'd rather roster a RB that could become the guy if the starter goes down, a Defense with a good matchup, or a WR on waivers with a good week 15 and or 16 matchup.

I view him more as a bench, wait and see. I definitely am with the majority and think he is a strong fade this week, but if he produces well and is heavily targeted, I think he suddenly looks much more playable next week if you are an owner in deeper leagues and/or suffering a rash of injuries (which I am sure many are after the last few weeks). 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

spit the bait @TennisMenace - this is some stinky ish you're fallin' for ...

"there's no stoppin' this cretin from floppin'/you're gonna catch a beatin' if ya start this lousy cretin"

Can someone interpret that second paragraph for me?