LivingOnTheEdge

2018 Call Up Watch Thread

tonycpsu

This thread is for discussion of confirmed and/or imminent call-ups.  If you've seen news that someone has been called up, or informed speculation from reputable sources that someone may be on their way to the show soon, feel free to share these items with the community here.  Do not ask "who's going to be called up next?" -- that's what the thread is for, so asking is superfluous.  Also, do not use this thread for deep dives into specific minor league players -- that's what their MiLB outlook threads are for.

Message added by tonycpsu

14 hours ago, garlando said:

This was posted in the MiLB Forum earlier in the offseason but the list applies perfectly to the question. Here's Rotoballer's ranking of rookies that they feel will make fantasy baseball impacts in 2018.

https://www.rotoballer.com/2018-mlb-prospect-rankings-for-fantasy-baseball/444904

Senzel is ranked 35 on this list.  Absurd.  Their top 6 are accurate. Maybe top 7 depending on the severity of Hays lat injury.

I don't see Jorge Mateo on that list, but I think he makes it to Oakland this year. I understand this was written in mid-January, but I find it odd that Calhoun is no12...especially when he's been considered one of the early favorites for the AL ROY. 

Here's a few I like as sleepers:

Luis Urias: He'll be held down for service time reasons but could be brought  The Padres aren't competing right now but their middle infield situation is a mess and once the super 2 deadline passes, they won't have a good excuse to hold down Urias, especially if he is knocking at the door.

Magnerius Sierra: Brinson is getting a lot of hype on the move to Miami but Sierra is fairly polished. His glove is going to get him in the lineup at some point and he has shown that he can compete at the MLB level. Service time shouldn't be an issue so I would assume Miami just lets him play it out at the major league level. As for what he can provide at the MLB level, I think he is a good bet to get on base and steal bases. Not much power but i'll take a top of the lineup speed guy.

Kolby Allard: I'm honestly not sure how much I like his prospects longer term but in the short term I think he is a good prospect to own for this year and next. The Braves are going to have injuries in their pitching staff and while they are deep, Allard is pretty much big league ready. He has the type of profile that can probably fool major league hitters for a little while before they eventually catch on which is valuable if you can sell high.

Julian Merryweather: Not going to be lights out but is close to the majors and should get an opportunity once injuries hit the Cleveland pitching staff. While they are deep at the major league level, their upper minors system is pretty sparse. Shane Bieber also fits this mold but I assume Merryweather gets the chance before him and could wind up being a solid contributor to their rotation.

• Like 2

Sheldon Neuse 3B for Oakland. 23 years old. Used to play SS for Oklahoma.

Bat first type prospect with some positional flexibility. Has an All fields approach and can steal some bags. Not an elite runner, but has a good feel for stealing should chip in a few at the MLB level. Has some K concerns.

He has been a fast mover. Moved through 3 levels in his first full year of pro ball. A, A+, and AA putting up a line of:

.321AVG/.382OBP/.502SLG/.884OPS over 442AB with 16 HR AND 14SB

Had a solid AFL:

.314-20R-5HR-23RBI-0SB in 93PA

Also an improved 7BB to 16SO (17%K) and slugged .570 with a .935OPS

He was invited to the spring training with club and they have been playing him at 3B, 2B, and SS likely in attempts to get some ABs in the Majors this year. 3BB to 1 SO in his first 12ABs in spring training with 1HR.

Should start the year in AA and be in AAA relatively quick. I expect him to be a contributor in the 2nd half this year playing in UTIL and DH role.

• Like 4

Anthony Santander. Rule 5 pick from Cleveland by the Baltimore Orioles. Has always hit well in the minors. Been comped to Victor Martinez. Solid AVG/POWER type of bat. Will never sniff a real life list because of questionable defense.

Hit 20HR with a 290 AVG and 20%K 10%BB rate in A+ during the 2016 season before selection. After coming off injury in rehab he mashed in AA last year (only 50AB or so)

He basically has to start on the 25 man because he hasn't filled his rule 5 service time requirements due to injury last year. I think the current plan for him is to have him in a platoon with Colby Rasmus until they can send him down for some more seasoning. If he hits however he can probably take the RF job out of the gates.

Edited by Dirtywater97

Sandy Alcantara has a really good shot at breaking the Marlins rotation to start the season.  Tossed 3 SO innings today.

Edited by MJDrocks

Ryan McMahon, Willie Calhoun, Luis Urias, Franklin Barreto

Alex Reyes, Walker Buehler, Michael Kopech, Mike Soroka, Brent Honeywell, A.J. Puk, Luis Gohara, and so many more pitchers lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, heyeaglefn said:

Brett Honeywell should not be on that list.

Did you happen to look at when that list was created?

7 minutes ago, phatrat said:

Did you happen to look at when that list was created?

Unless Im missing something, says 14 hours ago? Thread itself is only from 3/1... well after the injury.

46 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Unless Im missing something, says 14 hours ago? Thread itself is only from 3/1... well after the injury.

My bad...thought he meant the list Garlando posted.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MJDrocks said:

Sandy Alcantara has a really good shot at breaking the Marlins rotation to start the season.  Tossed 3 SO innings today.

I think at worst hes very close. Very underrated redraft option.

• Like 1

Since the OP asked for non-studs too, and I've already put a few posts over in the Sleepers MLB thread, but Steve Duggar is starting to have a 2015 Matt Duffy vibe to me. Duffy took over for Casey McGehee after a month and put up a playable 300 12/12 for NL-onlys & deep mixed.

And Grant Brisbee correctly notes on Mccovey Chronicles that Duggar's 2018 Zips et al are largely based on rehab stats from last year as he was nursing flexor & hammy injuries all year. Plus, like Duffy, Duggar flourished in AA-Richmond's notoriously pitcher's park the year before. The Giants org loves players who can hit at Richmond.

• Like 1

Just now, bbythepier said:

Since the OP asked for non-studs too, and I've already put a few posts over in the Sleepers MLB thread, but Steve Duggar is starting to have a 2015 Matt Duffy vibe to me. Duffy took over for Casey McGehee after a month and put up a playable 300 12/12 for NL-onlys & deep mixed.

And Grant Brisbee correctly notes on Mccovey Chronicles that Duggar's 2018 Zips et al are largely based on rehab stats from last year as he was nursing flexor & hammy injuries all year. Plus, like Duffy, Duggar flourished in AA-Richmond's notoriously pitcher's park the year before. The Giants org loves players who can hit at Richmond.

I was just gonna post about Duggar, the Giants rarely have a lot of top end prospects - guys like Panik Crawford Belt Duffy etc were "good" but not elite, and maybe its kind of what they are in the bigs too, but good chance at some point he takes the CF job this year if not right out of ST. 

15 minutes ago, parrothead said:

I was just gonna post about Duggar, the Giants rarely have a lot of top end prospects - guys like Panik Crawford Belt Duffy etc were "good" but not elite, and maybe its kind of what they are in the bigs too, but good chance at some point he takes the CF job this year if not right out of ST. 

Yeah, AJax will definitely be the primary CF the first couple of weeks as the Giants are bombarded with Kershaw, Hill, Ryu & Wood in 7 of their first 10 but after facing Southpaw central he might get some looks (if he breaks camp w/ the team).

11 minutes ago, bbythepier said:

Yeah, AJax will definitely be the primary CF the first couple of weeks as the Giants are bombarded with Kershaw, Hill, Ryu & Wood in 7 of their first 10 but after facing Southpaw central he might get some looks (if he breaks camp w/ the team).

My guess is he will start in minors, like you said, its early and favors RHB - also the Giants love their useless vets like Gregor Blanco or Gorkys Hernandez - but maybe by late April you may see Duggar.  I dont think they view Pence or AJax as day in day out guys anymore.  

Just now, parrothead said:

My guess is he will start in minors, like you said, its early and favors RHB - also the Giants love their useless vets like Gregor Blanco or Gorkys Hernandez - but maybe by late April you may see Duggar.  I dont think they view Pence or AJax as day in day out guys anymore.  

Yep. I have no idea why they don't "store" Blanco or Gorkys in Sacramento instead of the Mlb roster, but that is their MO. The thing is, MiLB doesn't start until mid-April, so it's not like Duggar will be getting live ABs while AJax does what he was signed for ... face the Dodgers' lefties.

11 hours ago, heyeaglefn said:

Brett Honeywell should not be on that list.

My bad didn't realize he blew out his arm... Not a guy I normally target just knew (barring injury) he'd be up this year.  So scratch that lol.

On 3/2/2018 at 2:24 PM, Geoffrey 83 said:

Senzel just from the fact the reds have nothing to lose by bringing him up early.  Also helps he'll be at Great American Smallpark.

And nothing to gain. Peraza, Scooter and Suarez will fill out that infield for as long as they prove they can. No reason for the Reds to bring up Senzel prior to Super-Two unless there is an injury, or one of there other three completely stinks.  More likely, the Reds sell high on Scooter and bring up Senzel, or Peraza and his .280 OBP get sent to the bench some time in July.

On 3/6/2018 at 8:44 PM, FouLLine said:

Ryan McMahon, Willie Calhoun, Luis Urias, Franklin Barreto

Alex Reyes, Walker Buehler, Michael Kopech, Mike Soroka, Brent Honeywell, A.J. Puk, Luis Gohara, and so many more pitchers lol

Nice list other than Honeywell.

I'd add Lewis Brinson.  They may hold him down for awhile to get another year of control but he should be up sooner than later.  Also Chance Sisco will be up real soon and become the O's starting catcher.