colepenhagen

Charlie Morton 2018 Outlook

Recommended Posts

Tough start tonight. Angels worked him. Guess he was due for one of these. Has earned plenty of leash. Does have Yankees and @ Zona next week so may be in for a bit of a tough stretch coming up. Will still take my chances next week with two starts.

Edited by bigbluecrew56

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Numbers look worse than the actual game. Yeah he had some control issues but there were many VERY close calls that probably should have been strike 3s instead of ball 4s. Two consecutive RBI infield singles doesn't help either. Not overly concerned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm rolling with him today.   The Yanks have played 11 games in a row, including a late game yesterday in LA; they probably flew into Houston very late yesterday or this morning, so might be out of sorts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm also rolling him out as I can't find it in me to bench him in a two start week. I don't feel good about it as I hate starting anyone against this vaunted Yankee lineup. I'm just happy he's at least got them at home where his record has been pretty dominant. He faced the Yanks last year at Yankee stadium and gave up 4 ER and 10K's. If he can give us something similar to that I'll take it. I'm starting Morton for K's this week so if he can find a way to provide that and limit damage i'll be happy. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Buddha said:

I'm rolling with him today.   The Yanks have played 11 games in a row, including a late game yesterday in LA; they probably flew into Houston very late yesterday or this morning, so might be out of sorts. 

 

Why would you NOT start him?  So the Yankees are hot now.  So what.  I tried benching a pitcher once this year so far based on a match-up.  He was facing the hottest hitting team in all of baseball at the moment in the form of the Red Sox.  His name was Sean Manaea.

 

I really should have known better too.  "Match-up" stuff almost always backfires on me.  I'm serious.  I have a long track record saying don't do that stuff but I did do it once this year already and that is it.  I pitch my aces unless I read something physically is bothering them etc the rest of the season now.  Sure some days won't be good because no one is perfect.  But the odds favor you when you just let your aces pitch.  And you won't have the embarrassment of having a guy on your bench who throws a no hitter.

 

If Morton performs poorly today he probably would have against KC as well.  If he is doing his thing he will have no more trouble with the Yankees than any other team.  It is the pitcher's stuff and if he is on his game on any given day way more than what team he faces most of the time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

 

Why would you NOT start him?  So the Yankees are hot now.  So what.  I tried benching a pitcher once this year so far based on a match-up.  He was facing the hottest hitting team in all of baseball at the moment in the form of the Red Sox.  His name was Sean Manaea.

 

I really should have known better too.  "Match-up" stuff almost always backfires on me.  I'm serious.  I have a long track record saying don't do that stuff but I did do it once this year already and that is it.  I pitch my aces unless I read something physically is bothering them etc the rest of the season now.  Sure some days won't be good because no one is perfect.  But the odds favor you when you just let your aces pitch.  And you won't have the embarrassment of having a guy on your bench who throws a no hitter.

 

If Morton performs poorly today he probably would have against KC as well.  If he is doing his thing he will have no more trouble with the Yankees than any other team.  It is the pitcher's stuff and if he is on his game on any given day way more than what team he faces most of the time.

Right, but he's supposed to start against ARI on Sat as well, so that's two tough teams this week (for those with weekly lineups).  And while Morton has certainly been pitching with ace material thus far, don't know if I'd label him an ace just yet. 

 

Even if the ratios might not be pretty, like the other poster said i'm starting him for K's this week, and who knows maybe a QS will come your way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Right, but he's supposed to start against ARI on Sat as well, so that's two tough teams this week (for those with weekly lineups).  And while Morton has certainly been pitching with ace material thus far, don't know if I'd label him an ace just yet. 

 

Even if the ratios might not be pretty, like the other poster said i'm starting him for K's this week, and who knows maybe a QS will come your way. 

 

If he wasn't an ace all of last year I don't know who was.  Yeah Houston is full of aces these days.

 

I read the article about maybe retiring.  He said he would be "at peace" if he did.  Not that he was actively going to.  And he mentioned it depends on the team he would be on in the future.  If he stayed in Houston he would be a happy camper.  Or on a contender on the east coast because of his wife's family being in Delaware.

 

I'm sure that last comment caught the attention of the Phillies who have plenty of money in the off season and just signed Arrieta as well and whose top pitching prospects are still a bit away except maybe Sixto but already have a good hitting team.  Morton with Arrieta and Nola sounds nice.

 

But especially the Yankees who will be after a good pitcher in the off season big time and have their big bucks saved up for same as well.  Now that Didi is set in stone as their SS they no longer plan on spending a  lot of their loot on Machado either.

 

The Nats and Boston (Pomeranz' walk year) are contenders too and with the fast train in the northeast corridor Delaware is pretty darn close to New England these days.  "Contender" caveat makes Baltimore sad though.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

 

If he wasn't an ace all of last year I don't know who was.

Very respectable 2017, maybe i'm a bit hesitant with that label simply because of his ADP in the 190s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not so sure I'm calling Morton an Ace quite yet either, and doesn't get the set it and forget it treatment quite yet - doubly so against the Yankees. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Very respectable 2017, maybe i'm a bit hesitant with that label simply because of his ADP in the 190s.

 

your seriously taking ADP into your reasoning on whether or not to start him ... seriously

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, jb_power said:

 

your seriously taking ADP into your reasoning on whether or not to start him ... seriously

 

no, I was referring to the "ace" label:  maybe i'm a bit hesitant with that label simply because of his ADP in the 190s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

Ace 

 

Nah...he can't be based on his ADP.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

No Judge in the lineup tonight. 

yeah he could of had a couple more strikeouts

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.